IS M OBAMA GONNA OUTSHINE JACKIE O AS THE FASHION ICON OF THE WHITE

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:13 am
@ossobuco,
She definitely wears high heels occasionally. She was wearing high-heeled boots when I saw her in person -- I remember in part because at one point during her speech I was checking them out (they were very nice boots) and when I looked up she was looking at me. Oops.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:43 am
Well, ok, since I never really thought about her heels one way or another I'll take you all's word for it that she does wear high heels sometimes. I rarely do myself because I am not the most graceful person alive and put a pair high heels on me and I am like a bull in a china shop tottering around.

I became curious as to what Jackie O's wedding dress looked like, and while it was easy to find her wedding dress to Kennedy, it was much harder find her wedding dress to Onassis, spent all this time in between my two post looking an image and this is all I came up with. (does not have an url which allows for copying images on this form)

Mr. and Mrs. Aristotle Onassis

eoe; I think she looks just fine myself, she was too young to dress like a widow with children on her second marriage.

Still, I am looking forward to inauguration night for all kinds of reason least of which is what Michael Obama will be wearing. But you can bet your bottom dollar it will be on the tongues of all media and people like ourselves.
sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:58 am
@revel,
Nice find, revel!

Here's another picture with a bow -- I agree with eoe there. It was the 70's after all, though...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LIcwte72XA0/R3OZh6_21TI/AAAAAAAAGFw/kjsB3q5s8U4/259522ec3e9f9f37269791ef.jpg
eoe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was a style icon, not a fashion icon.

You're right. There is a difference.

There were a number of second-wedding gown options for a young widow like Jackie back then, the same as now. I just didn't understand why she chose to go young rather than stylish and sophisticated, as she had been on too many occasions to count, especially while in the White House. I'm tell you, I was only 11 or 12 but I can remember being so disappointed in her. She let me down.

But then there was this shot of her and valentino that i just loved. I forgave her. Very Happy
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:54 pm
@sozobe,
Was Jackie taller than Ari?
eoe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 04:41 pm
@Sglass,
yep.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:01 pm
Did the dress Michelle Obama wore today make up for election night?

dress and matching yellow coat by Isabel Toledo, a Cuban-born designer.

I liked it but then I liked the one Jackie O wore on her wedding, waiting to hear from those who really know and would know who these designers are. Not sure why she wore those shoes.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:14 pm
@revel,
Yikes! about that outfit. Dunno if 1965 Barbie suits are the way to go. My first Barbie had that gold brocade shift and coat set - exciting then. I love vintage, probably more than most people, but this is not working for her.

~~~

Funny, I was talking to someone at work about the odd shoes Ms. Obama wears. I think she needs to own her height and wear shoes that work with her clothes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
IMNSHO, Ms. Obama has style potential at this point. She's a lovely woman. Lovely and tall. She needs to get over not wearing heels - or alter some of her wardrobe choices.

err, yeah, so I said that already.

I'm sticking with it. She's got potential. And she needs to get shoes that work better with her clothing choices.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:57 pm
I liked her ensemble today but her gown tonight left alot to be desired, IMO. Fine for a garden party but much too sweet for a ball.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:06 pm
Outshine Jackie? That's a tall order. I'd have to say, "no."

I think Michelle Obama has the potential to be a fashion icon, but her look needs some work.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:20 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Of the two which do you think has the most fashion sense? Of the two who do you think can strut down the runway of the White House and say "look at me and everyone looks".

Granted, there were some rather dowdy, conservative first ladies who looked like they dressed off the racks of Sears & Roebuck or J.C. Penny.

Let's hear your take ladies.

You can't compare Jackie O of the 1960s with Michele Obama of 2009.

Who looks like Jackie today?

How many men at the performance wore a "high Hat"? These are different days, my friend.

For that matter, how many women wore hats when they attended the church service??
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:46 am
I guess I am biased or something, but again I really liked her ball gown last night. It was different and it looked nice on her.
Michelle Obama chose a white chiffon one-shoulder gown, designed by Jason Wu

ebeth, I think she wore heels.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:47 am
Jackie O hands down.

Barack is very much Kennedy but Michelle is in no way Jackie.

It is possible that she will up her style quotient as she gets into her First Lady role but I really haven't liked much of anything she's wore thus far.
revel

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:03 pm
@Bella Dea,
I just get the feeling that people other than Michelle Obama is trying to compete with the style memory of Jackie Onassis. I imagine it is a lot of pressure but she probably sleeps ok knowing that there those out there thinking she has terrible fashion sense. This is not Laura Bush, the woman is a smart professional woman in her own right with a lot of offer as First Lady other than a keen fashion style.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:12 pm
@revel,
Dunno. I don't see that. I think it's pretty obvious that michelle obama has her own style. It's not "clean" -- and i VERY much appreciate that. Often she'll wear something totally out, daring, unconventional. I haven't yet seen an outfit I would have hated on her. Election night was OK in my book, but I loved the inauguration yellow/olive dress. I find her outfits more fun than Jackie O. But I am not a red blooded American, just an observer from outside.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:24 pm
@dagmaraka,
In Style had an article on her choice of designers: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/01/20/michelle.obama.dress/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:29 pm
@dagmaraka,
I agree, dag. I really like her use of color.

Isabel Toledo called the inauguration outfit color "lemongrass," I like that name for it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 08:27:36