My List of Top 10 or 20 Progressive/art Rock Tunes

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:04 pm
For the sake of fun (and possibly educating those who are unfamiliar), please feel free to post y0ur faves. This form of music at various times is alternatively known as symphonic rock and/or art rock. Post links of your faves if possible from Youtube, if you can.

A Day in the Life/Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles

Shapes of Things - Jeff Beck Group & Rod Stewart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirDwohWt2s

Cause We've Ended as Lovers- jeff beck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPiKYuuRiQ&feature=related

Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA&feature=related
Herein, Matthew Fisher plays AND WROTE the greatest organ piece ever in popular music (on the Hammond organ).

Conquistador - Procol Harum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUDgiuyLRA0&feature=related

A Salty Dog - Procul Harum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6BzNEZxbiw

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis

Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
in particular Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. You must see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdD6L4cKKU8

Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Tuesday Afternoon, from In Search of the Lost Chord - Moody Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLWBhNW3FM&feature=related

Legend of a Mind - Moody Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_TbovyVOzs

A Question of Balance - Moody Blues

DSOTM - Pink Floyd

The Wall - Pink Floyd

Graceland - Paul Simon

Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix

Aja - Steely Dan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfR3CIPFJo

Original Soundtrack / I'm Not in Love - 10 CC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYrjtgU-44

Owner of a Lonely Heart and/or Roundabout - Yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8dDcYjhdFU
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 9,268 • Replies: 71
No top replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:21 pm
A trifle populist.

Any list on art rock that doesnt include anything by Velvet Underground is probably doomed to failure: espescially Venus in Furs.
You are a big fan of Procol Harum, I'd probably pick Magdelene---My Regal zonophone,
Paradise Lost by the Herd. Its a Britsh supergroup created to produce symphonic rock. Very big budget, a kind of psychadelic monkees.
I had too much too dream by the Electric Prunes. The only band to release a rock album in Latin.
Surely a little early Bowie. The Man Who sold the world. Any track from Hunky Dory.
Pink Floyd is a must, I wouldn't argue against DSooM, but I'd go for the more interesting Syd Barret stuff. Try The Nile Song.
For anyone who is unashamedly retro I'd reccommend any album by Rush. But don't tell your kids
The sun goes Down, by Dave Dee Dozy beaky mick and titch. The band released fluffy singles to make money, but the b sides were doom laden affairs. This track is the b side to Zabadak! Very few have heard it. It is not on youtube. It is the most emo or goth record ever made. The tolling bell on it outdoes everything since,
It can lighten up so I'd include Bat out of hell.
I have concentrated mostly on the pioneers of this music, partly because it is lesser known, but mostly because I think the originators deserve credit,
Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:27 pm
Back tomorrow...

Thinking ELP.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:49 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Populist? Failure?

Sheesh!

There's no success OR failing because it succeeds at expressing MY list of top 10 or 20 tunes. My list is not meant to be comprehensive or complete. Oversights can occur. Lou Reed & VU prob'ly should be on the list. So should David Bowie, as well. My intent is to represent the founders or strongest examples of Art/Progressive.

Your list is quite welcome.

BTW, Dave Dee died today, I heard that earlier on the news.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:01 am
@Ragman,
Seeing as we are being all huggy: how about the Doors. By Populist I meant all the albums were top sellers. Some great bands have been largely forgotten. And there are some great obscure ones.
You neglected to put Led Zepplin IV on the list. I would probably keep the heavy metallers happy by including "Machine Head" by Deep Purple, or something by Alice Cooper. Which I accept may belong in a different category.
We are also suffering from that rock and roll problem."Where are the chicks?"
WE really need some gender balnce: maybe the Mothers of Invention? New York Dolls? (joke).
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:52 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Oh, OK. That was a different connotation for populist than I had thought of.

I couldn't think of a progressive, art or symphonic rock group that's female. I don't think I'm a misogynist as I thought of plenty gal groups for the other music thread - just can't come up with a group for the lsit for Top Progressive group. Gotta think harder.

The Doors I would consider Psychedelic, acid, blues, or hard rock or a fusion of those genres; however, if you want to include them in Progressive rock, it's fine by me.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 08:11 am
@Fountofwisdom,
By the nature of The Doors' lyrics, I could include them in...they're progressive rock, I think.

The Pretesders with Chrissy Hynde I think I'd include as progressive rockers; however, as I'm sure you know, she's the only gal in the group.

Oh, I know how could I've missed these? Glass Hammer (Michelle Young). Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson. Incidentally, she's married to Lou Reed.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:03 am
@Ragman,
Favourite story about Lori Anderson : Lou Reed won't let her smoke in the house. Even cigarettes. Seems like he's gone respectable. I think Chrissie Hynd is an excellent choice. I think she could be classed a punk tho. VU had the Maureen Tucker on drums plus Nico.
I have to admit rocking gals are a minority. I was thinking of Suzi Quatro and the Bangles. Both who aren't quite there. Altho Suzi looks good in leather.
I'd disqualify anyone after 1980 approx.altho I may regret saying that.
Its fairly obscure: but three hippy albums I'll mention Changing Horses: The Incredible String Band. Angels Egg by Gong and hawkwind WIth Masters of the Universe: I'd include one of them. The 10 minute tracks by Incredible String band are worth a listen. Creation. A Very Cellular Song and White Bird. That is when you had albums with 4 tracks on.
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:36 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Funny thing about Pretenders Chrissie Hynde and their syle of music. Whoever (rock critics) puts them in a niche has them as Punk or New Wave. I think of New Wave, back then, was pretty progressive. I always question Rock music critics and their or industry labels...hmmm?

Oh yes, Incredible String Band. Scottish group, weren't they...sort of described as psychedelic folk and/or World Music?

Talking about ISB reminds me of a group I would consider on my list: Pentangle. Yes, they are Folk-rock or Jazz-folk, but their music is sure progressive, at least in my mind. John Renbourn and Bert Jansch were incredible. John Renbourn had a few great albums ('Sir John Alot of' ... '68 and
'The Lady and the Unicorn', '70). However this is not progressive but more a mixture of jazz/blues/folk playing alongside a more classical/early music style. However, I digress.

Yes, Suzi Quattro and those leathers ...sigh. Music...oh that was good, too!
0 Replies

mav4ick

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:45 am
@Ragman,
fix you.......coldplay
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
@mav4ick,
Pretty much Coldplay are alternative rockers.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:42 pm
Of course, including King Crimson and also the collaboration of Robert Fripp/Brian Eno (Fripp & Eno) is a must. They received cult status as they had little air play in most parts. In Boston, we sure loved our progressive/art rockers, so I heard them often and bought LPs, some of which I still play. 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is widely regarded as a landmark in progressive rock.

Also, perhaps they're possibly mentioned earlier, but Roxy Music should be on this list. Brian Eno was charter member of this group. Listen to 'Avalon'.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@Ragman,
Fripp and Eno were certainly required listening: I found that by the time they were around, the world had moved on: The punks claimed to have destroyed prog rock in 1977, or at least have made it uncool. It didn't prevent "the Wall" being released.
I'm going to argue now that Sgt. Pepper be removed from the list as being to cliched. Basically the interesting Beatle was John Lennon, So I propose replacing this with Shaved Fish, which has the also Plastic On Band, on account of the cool cover.
Dark Side of the Moon also had the gatefold cover for people to roll joints on: conveniently black so you could spot any spillage.
I withdraw my 80's is too late suggestion. Coldplay is Quite convincing, plus bands like U2 and Dire Straits which I've just remembered: they were both rocky at least when they started. Rock Purists may disagree.
Seeing as you're from Boston how about Aerosmith?
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:26 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
My view of Aerosmith is a bit dark as for many years I saw them as a poor-man's Rolling Stones. What they did, I don't consider progressive, but they certainly do rock. I'd call them Hard Rock,, Blues-Rock or Heavy Metal.

Of course U2...they carried the torch even further for progressive or Art Rock...though some consider them more to be Post-punk or Alternative Rock. Rock Music categories get far to blurry after 1980. After all, why can't alternative rock be considered progressive?

When Sgt. Pepper's LHB came out it definitely was progressive and symphonic rock and I still consider it as such. They can't be faulted for the art "progressing" beyond the blazed trails they and Martin created. However, do I still listen to it...not really. would i recommend it to a newbie who waned to hear a current example of progressive rock...no!

Surely, one can include Lennon's 'Shaved Fish'. Mcartney became irrelvant as for progressive rock. Harrison was pretty relevant til he stopped making music. Not sure what I would call or categorize his 'All Things Must Pass' , but I still play it. Not progressive...just Harrison-esque.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:18 pm
@Ragman,
I am very much biassed against the Beatles: they were considered to be too respectable and too establishment: Sgt pepper came out just as acts like Floyd and Hendrix and VU were starting: They were already less relevant. At least it could be argued.
With lists you always realise you missed some obvious choices. I am now going to mention Hotel California. Ooops.
You are probably right about about Aerosmith: but certain bands deserve a mention for their longevity and perseverance, Status Quo for example. Saxon: still touring even tho they are geriatric.
In Britain we had a vote of the 100 top bands of all time: The Who,T.rex and the Smiths didn't even make the top 100. All of these bands were massive and influential. Just not well marketed.
Are we being to Britain-American focused. Santana apparently saved the world with messages on his albums. And then there is the artist formerly known as a few sandwiches short of a picnic, with Purple Rain.
jespah

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:44 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
I'm still trying to figure out the genre. When I think Prog Rock, I think of Yes, King Crimson and ELP, mainly. Older Genesis. That kind of thing. Pretenders never enters into it; to me it's mid to late 70s stuff. Moody Blues. Rush doesn't seem right, either.

But here's a gal or at least a band with a female lead singer: Renaissance.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:11 pm
Not a word about Yes...are you shitting me? Close to the edge? Tales? Relayer? Fragile? the Yes Album?

WTF?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:37 pm
BVT he mentions 2 Yes songs in the first post...but they are the top 40 Yes.....
Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Shocked Wink
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:32 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
FWIW, all of those Yes songs are in my LP collection. Sometimes I play them a bit, but usually in winter...don't ask why.

Right now I'm listening to PF's 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene'.
0 Replies