How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:25 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
so too much bible study is bad for you. got it.
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:26 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Id suggest your friend paul was already a nut for thinking that reading the bible could cure his ails. He should have danced with snakes, I hear that does wonders.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Perish the idea that we should use scripture to correct Romeo, er, Romulan.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Of course i'm speaking hypothetically. You are not, however, able to separate yourself from the absurdity of your beliefs. The Hebrews get their own god? Is that the same god who is putatively omnipotent and omniscient?
Where did you get the idea that God is omniscient? Oh, I know many believe that; so you probably got it from the common thought. However, the idea of omniscience is incompatible with free will. Oh, rats again! I forgot we have been around the block on free will also. But, for a moment, allow my allegorical interpretation that God has no more obligation to peer into our outcome than you or I have to read the last page of the whodunnit.
Setanta wrote:
In a cosmos as vast as we now know we inhabit, why would the creator of all establish a special relationship with a bunch of bronze age hillbillies?
People are prone to forget, probably because the Hebrew tradition is one of arrogant superiority, that the Jews were no different than any other people, save for having been descendants of Abraham. The only reason for having been set apart was for identification of the Messiah.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:27 pm
Quote:
Smiley said:@RF- Id suggest your friend paul was already a nut for thinking that reading the bible could cure his ails. He should have danced with snakes, I hear that does wonders

Or he could have joined your JW's and given up christmas trees, easter eggs, birthday cakes, stopped wearing a crucifix, and stopped going to churches with spires on them, that might have helped cure his schizophrenia..Wink
neologist

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:43 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Quote:
Smiley said:@RF- Id suggest your friend paul was already a nut for thinking that reading the bible could cure his ails. He should have danced with snakes, I hear that does wonders

Or he could have joined your JW's and given up christmas trees, easter eggs, birthday cakes, stopped wearing a crucifix, and stopped going to churches with spires on them, that might have helped cure his schizophrenia..
That was Calamity's post, Einstein. How long before you learn how to use the quote function?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:54 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: @RF- That was Calamity's post, Einstein. How long before you learn how to use the quote function?

We all make little typo errors from time to time mate, even your latest Jehovah's Witness house bible "revision"..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JW-NWT-2013-errors_zps17b95c3a.jpg~original
http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/error-found-in-new-silver-sword-revised-new-world-translation
Enaj

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 02:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You seem to think that this is the only translation that has mistakes.....have you researched the numerous mistakes in the KJV among others?

Actually all translations have errors, simply because all bible translations are tranlated by man, and man is not perfect in their undersatnding....which is why I'd never attempt it myself.

It seems to me that a religious nut, by interpretation of most individuals, is anyone that doesn't agree with the one saying the other is a religious nut, or goes to a church other than his own. Go to their church, or agree with them, you're not a religious nut, go to another you are. It's that simple....
And very wrong.
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:09 pm
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

--Winston Spencer Churchill
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:30 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
--Winston Spencer Churchill

I like that one Smile Smart guy that Winston.
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
wait a sec... THAT was your big error in the new version?!! for real?
Thanks for sharing....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 03:02 am
The question to ask after each of obsessive posts is :How does what you've just posted answer the question in the OP?

If you are not answering the question, you're wasting our time and yours.

The answer is "All of it."

Joe(every single bit)Nation
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 09:13 am
Quote:
Enaj said:@RF- It seems to me that a religious nut.. is anyone that doesn't agree with the one saying the other is a religious nut

Right, we have to hitch our horses to whatever wagon we feel comfortable with..Smile
For example the Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in Christmas, Easter, birthdays, church spires and crosses; they won't have blood transfusions to save their lives, and they think Jesus was crucified on a stake.
If all that appeals to you, join the JW's but include me out..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JW-beliefsB_zps2f57a26b.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 09:35 am
PS- we don't have to hitch our horses to any wagon at all if we don't want to..Wink

Romeo Fabulini: master of his own wagon-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/POS-swagger2_zps8e311a2c.jpg~original
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Um.... We can't see your wagon in that picture.

And could you answer the question posed in the OP?

Joe(thanks)Nation
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:19 pm
Quote:
Joe Nation said:@RF-Um.... We can't see your wagon in that picture.
And could you answer the question posed in the OP?

What, this question- How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?
That's an illogical question and therefore requires no answer, but I'll answer it anyway- none of Christianity is based on paganism..Smile

Another example of an illogical question is when somebody once asked Isaac Asimov- "What would happen if an irresistible force met an immoveable object?" and Asimov replied "It's an illogical question and therefore requires no answer"..Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'll answer it. All the good bits are, Easter eggs, getting drunk and eating too much at Christmas, Christmas presents, snogging a stranger on New Years Eve, that's all Pagan. Walking round with a face like a smacked arse and disapproving of everything, that's Christian.
Joe Sixpack

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
. . . none of Christianity is based on paganism. . .
Both the veneration of the trinity and the worship of Astarte (Easter) are included in nominal christianity. Why do you not reject both?
Joe Sixpack

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:52 pm
@izzythepush,
Wait. Enjoying a few cold ones over a game of pinochle or watching the Seahawks destroy the Broncos, that fun is OK.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:56 pm
Wait a minute guys, if Christianity is based on Paganism as you claim, why don't you like Christianity?