French Citizenship for adult child of French born citizen

sguzik

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 12:28 pm
Is there a stipulation for age in regard to obtaining French Citizenship? See my mother was born and raised until age 18 in France married my American father (in France) and moved to the US. She let her French Passport and French ID card expire. She is now pursuing to renew these documents. After this is completed am I (now age 36) and born in the US able to apply for French Citizenship? What about my child? She is age 2 and I would like to start her in a Lycee school in the US.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 08:39 am
@sguzik,
I would suggest you contact the French Embassy in Washington DC to get those questions answered.
Here is the contact info for them...

http://www.ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article1131

The reason I am telling you to contact them is because the answers you get from people on here might not be up to date information.
The embassy will have the most up to date and the correct information.
0 Replies

sguzik

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:39 am
Thanks. We went to the French Consulate in Chicago and they didn't mention that I may not be eligble. However, they were not very friendly and questioned my 62 year old mother why she let these documents lapse (Sacre Bleu). Therefore I lost confidence... When my mother came here in the early 60's globalization wasn't thought of! I will contact the embasy. Thanks for the information.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:51 am
@sguzik,
Actually, embassies don't deal with such - it's a consulate affair.

The Consulate General of France (for the US states Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, and Wisconsin) provides...
Quote:
identification cards, passports… The French Consulate also offers notary and limited legal services.

0 Replies