Equus

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:11 am
Aspirin/analgesics were suggested by the vet, but don't seem to do much.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:22 am
The aspirin/analgesic need to be given so there's a continual amount in her body. You'd have to be giving her some every four hours. There are some that can be given every 12 hours... that might make a difference.

Good luck Honey, Good luck Equus.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:57 pm
Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions.

FYI, Honey hung on six more months. She was just put to sleep this morning.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:31 pm
Hugs Equus
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:37 pm
I'm sorry for your loss, Equus... hard to believe it has been six months. (((Hugs))) Sounds like she really hung in there. Did she keep trying to go back to the spare room or did you find her another space that suited her? How is Tyke doing?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:49 pm
Equus, my sympathies to you and your family. She was blessed to be able to bask in the love of family during her life and to be comforted by your love as she faced death.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:42 pm
Equus, she must have really wanted to stay with her pack as long as possible. Hugs to you and your family.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:48 pm
You have my deepest sympathies Equus. (((Hugs)))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:51 pm
I am sure you miss her now. Hugs to you and your family, Equus...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:12 am
More big hugs from here Equus
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:20 am
I think it is best to have an animal put to sleep when they are old AND suffering. I just had to put a cat down that was 16 yrs old and going downhill fast... I regret not doing it sooner. I don't think its right to let an animal suffer.

I think most animals will go off to die alone if they can.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
I'm so sorry that she's gone, Equus. But happy to hear you had six more months together. Remember the good times.

(((((HUG)))))
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:30 am
Thanks for the support. All pet owners go through this eventually.

I got her ashes back from the vet this morning. It's so strange having her not be around. She was so loving. Just wanted to be with me and love me and be loved by me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:42 am
Rainbow Bridge

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rbowx.gif

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rbowx.gif

Sure hope that came out OK ... kinda hard to see right now; my monitor's all blurry. Stuff gets all blurry every time I think of that poem.

Celebrate the joy, don't surrender to the loss.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:59 am
As a matter of fact, the vet gave me a copy of that rainbow bridge poem along with Honey's ashes. I was warned not to read it while driving or I would have an accident.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm
I'm so sorry, Equus. Yes, my Raggedyannie crawled under the table. I made arrangements with the Vet, and just before it was time to leave for the much dreaded appointment, she crawled over to me, put her head on my knee and went to sleep. A difficult decision to make, but not more difficult than seeing a pet suffer. My heart goes out to you.

Timber: Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:59 pm
My remaining dog, Tyke, finally realized last night that Honey wasn't coming back (I guess she'd been away at the vet for a couple nights a few times in the past, so he must have thought that was what was going on). He started whining at 2 am, had to run out in the back yard to look for her, and was still whining this morning.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
Damn, Equus; been there, done that. You have my deepest stmpathy. Grieving is good. Just don't let it overwhelm you. In my experience, the best cure for the pain brought on by the loss of a pet is to get another one as soon as the initial grief begins to wear off. No pet replaces another, but the presence of a new pet in your life will somewhat compress the void left by the passing of of your previous freind.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:19 pm
Equs, I think they would go off and find a comfortable place to die if they could. But we have them in our houses so it is up to us to help them die an honorable death.

It is a hard thing to do to put an animal down. But on the other hand we tend to keep them alive longer than they were meant to be.

When I finally gavie in and took my 23 year old cat to the vet I thought it would kill me.

More hugs from here too Equas
0 Replies