Obama's Roads & Bridges

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:41 pm
Obama's proposed public works program would be the largest since the creation of the interstate highway system a half-century ago.

With the promise to lift the country out of economic recession... Obama's plan will include rebuilding the nation's highways, make government buildings energy-efficient, renovate aging government schools and install computers in classrooms, extend high-speed Internet to under served areas and modernize government hospitals with access to electronic medical records and raise taxes.

The bulk of Obama's plan rest with rebuilding the nation's highways / Roads & Bridges.

When I first looked at this plan, two questions came to mind:
Is Obama an Idiot? and What idiot came up with this plan?

Building more roads and bridges encourages growth and increases vehicular traffic...
build it and they will come... as will the increased demand for foreign oil.
I thought this country was starting down the path of less dependence on foreign oil to fuel our vehicles.
Didn't Obama promise a change to energy independence?

Our country can not survive Obama's public works program!
Obama needs to change his plan quickly.

NickFun

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:02 pm
Yes, he needs to start wars, kill people, destroy privacy, wiretap Americans, increase the size of government and take over all banks, insurance companies and major industries -- like Bush did!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Building more roads and bridges encourages growth and increases vehicular traffic...
I thought this country was starting down the path of less dependence on foreign oil to fuel our vehicles.

Right, right, waterdude. After all, everybody knows that electric cars can fly. They don't need no stinkin' bridges and highways!

I really like your logic. You're a brilliant guy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:24 pm
it is stupid, because we all know that having the roads and bridges properly maintained and working efficiently would be the end of civilization as we know it
rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:44 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

Maybe we should destroy all the roads and bridges. Then we won't be able to drive and that'll solve our dependence on foreign oil.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:52 pm
@rosborne979,
Closing TV down would be a lot cheaper. You just pull the plug out.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
That kakamaymee BS statement of "independence from foreign oil" is just a myth of fingerprints
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:28 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

it is stupid, because we all know that having the roads and bridges properly maintained and working efficiently would be the end of civilization as we know it

We all know that maintaining neglected roads & bridges is a requirement that our current taxes have been funding all along.
What's stupid is increasing taxes to build brand new roads & brand new bridges, except when replacing/upgrading neglected bridges.

Obama's plan is mostly NEW roads & bridges with only a tiny % of maintenance, upgrades and repair.
Obama's plan is not well thought out and stupid.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
The big three auto manufacturers, who now have the begging bowl out, said that statements questioning their policies 20 years ago were kakamaymee BS.

Now the President Elect is saying they were not. "They made the wrong models" my arse. Any twottle can say that now.

They thought assertions were true because they made them. That's where the real problem is.

Ike said the war in Europe would be over by Christmas. The President said that American troops would be gone from Europe in 12 months.

These assertions seem to be a way of life.

It must be really comforting to know everything.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Obama's plan is not well thought out and stupid.

How could it be otherwise? His plan sounds good though. That's what counts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 07:57 pm
@H2O MAN,
How is rebuilding becoming "Building new"? If youve read the plan, please share it with us so that we may (or may not) reach the same conclusions as you. Pretty self assured when you tell a tale from a libretto that only you have seen.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:01 pm
@H2O MAN,
PS, I wonder who was the shyster that began the "energy independence" bullshit. Was it a BUSH?. Or his puppetmaster?
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

PS, I wonder who was the shyster that began the "energy independence" bullshit. Was it a BUSH?. Or his puppetmaster?

LOL! It was Jimmy Carter.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:19 pm
@H2O MAN,
NO STUPID, it was RICHARD M NIXON
Quote:
A cry is being heard across the nation, and loudly so in Washington. It is the call for "energy independence," and it will be at the center of the national energy debate over the next several months, providing the rationale for new policies and expansion of existing ones. Indeed, one might even anticipate a "declaration of energy independence" this July 4.

But what does "energy independence" mean for a $13 trillion economy that uses the equivalent of 50 million barrels of oil every day? Is it realistic and achievable? Or is it rhetorical overreach that will lead, as in the past, to disappointment and cynicism, the kind that drives the cycles of inconsistency in energy policy and leaves the United States no less vulnerable? The latter is more likely"at least without a realistic appraisal of the US position and the country's possibilities. But "energy independence" can provide a constructive framework for policy if it is properly thought through and the realities are recognized.

With geopolitical turmoil, volatile prices, and continuing reminders of the international political power of oil, the concept of energy independence is compelling and deeply appealing. In fact, it has been appealing for quite some time. The idea was introduced by former President Richard Nixon in November 1973, three weeks after the Arab oil embargo, when he introduced "Project Independence" and pledged that the United States would, within seven years, "meet our own energy needs without depending on any foreign energy source." It was a bold assertion but one that puzzled his own advisers. "I cut the reference to 'independence' three times from the drafts, but it kept being put back,"

When you post "LOL";s after your answer, one assumes that you know of what you speak, when actually youre just being boorish and acting the twit. You should go play with spendius, hes of the same "mind" as you.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:38 pm
@farmerman,

Yes, but for some reason Jimmy Carter gets all the credit Rolling Eyes

"We can promote alternative energy sources and conservation, and we must. America must become more energy independent, and we will." " George W. Bush, State of the Union address, Feb. 7, 2001.

"The nation's growing reliance on imports of crude oil and refined products threatens the nation's security because they make us more vulnerable to oil supply disruptions." " Bill Clinton in an energy security statement on Feb. 16, 1995.

"Conservation efforts are essential to keep our energy needs as low as possible. And we must then take advantage of our energy sources across the board: coal, natural gas, hydro and nuclear. Our failure to do these things has made us more dependent on foreign oil than ever before." " George H.W. Bush in an address to Congress on Sept. 11, 1990, in the run-up to the Gulf War.

"We must take steps to better protect ourselves from potential oil supply interruptions and increase our energy and national security." " Ronald Reagan, in an energy security message to Congress on May 6, 1987, in which he raised concerns about "our increasing dependence on imported oil."

"This intolerable dependence on foreign oil threatens our economic independence and the very security of our nation. ... Beginning this moment, this nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 " never." " Jimmy Carter in a television address on July l5, 1979, in which he announced temporary oil import quotas.

"I am recommending a plan to make us invulnerable to cutoffs of foreign oil. It will require sacrifice, but it " and this is most important " it will work." " Gerald Ford, State of the Union address Jan. 15, 1975.

"Let us set our national goal ... that by the end of this decade we will have developed the potential to meet our own energy needs without depending on any foreign energy sources. Let us pledge that by 1980, under Project Independence, we shall be able to meet America's energy needs from America's own energy resources." " Richard M. Nixon, responding to Arab oil embargo, Nov. 7, 1973.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
RIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHTTTT>
Slowly backs out of room because Waterboy doesnt live in our time/space continuum where Richard nixon came BEFORE Jimmy Carter.

I was in grad school during the late Nixonian epoch and I remember his speeches on being totally energy independent.

The latest round of its use has been by your champion , GW (do we agree on this?)

No matter who embraced it,Its a lie, It cant happen because oil economies arent meant for independence from each other.
Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:09 pm
I would not be surprised if some new roads became roads for trucks only.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:25 pm
@farmerman,
I figure Carter gets the credit because he proposed his plan live on TV.

Your champion Obama is parroting all those that came before him, no real change there.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:28 pm
@H2O MAN,
lil Bush has been the one singing about energy independence and switchgrass alcohol . Hes had 8 years to do anything that ewven pretended to be beneficial and hes failed miserably, so I guess we have to wait another month to start repairing the dmages to our energy "policy" (which is, for the msot part, non existent and what there is is oligarchic)
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:33 pm
@farmerman,

Face it, no administration has been able to put this country on the path
to energy independence and O boy is only going to make matters worse.