Malcom Gladwell in Omaha

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:03 am
Malcom Gladwell coming to Omaha
The Omaha Chamber of Commerce’s Young Professionals Council is bringing Malcom Gladwell in as a keynote speaker at a conference in March. Has anyone here heard of him? Perhaps listened to him speak?

There is alot going on lately in Omaha to try and make it a place where startups can thrive, and so there is more emphasis on conferences and such then in the past. Gary Vaynerchuk is coming to a conference next May, so that will be fun to watch. However I don't know anything about Gladwell. I listened to his speech at TED (linked from the article) and it was somewhat interesting. Would it be worth paying $90 to watch him (and I don't know who else yet) speak?

Either way, I am glad that Omaha is starting to bring in these types of events.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,931 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:13 am
Ok, I see he is the author of some interesting books: Outliers, The Tipping Point, and Blink. (amazon)

A friend of mine actually recommended Outliers to me. Maybe I'll read that one during my Christmas travels.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:44 am
@Nick Ashley,
I adore Malcolm Gladwell's essays in the New Yorker.

His books are still cool but he really benefits from the editing the New Yorker provides, as far as I can tell.

He's a masterful teller of anecdotes, a masterful collector of cool info. He often overreaches in his books (much less so in his individual magazine essays/ articles) in terms of putting it all together, gleaning meaning and Truth from the anecdotes.

I did like "Blink" a lot though it had weaknesses.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:06 pm
OK, so now I know who Malcolm Gladwell is. Thx, Nick.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the info.. good to know! I get that he is a masterful teller of anecdotes. The TED speech of his I watched was nothing but an anecdote. But enjoyable. I think I will pick up one of his books, and see what I think.
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:09 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I've read "Tipping Point" and "Blink" and from reviews of the new one ("Outliers") I'd recommend one of the first two. (As in, the reviews I've seen from reviewers I trust aren't very good.) "Blink" is definitely a fun/ fascinating read even with the overreaching.
Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:37 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks soz. I think I will start with Tipping Point, and then if I like it, check out Blink. Tipping Point sounds like a more interesting subject matter to me. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I'm a developer of a certain social website Smile
0 Replies