Because Jesus Directed His Followers to Bring A Tree Inside

McTag

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:23 am

The evergreen tree is a symbol of survival of life though the (North European) winter.
It was adapted by Christians from pagan tradition.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:15 am
@gungasnake,
feel free to never drive through ever...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:36 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Once in a while you actually make good sense, Foofie.

This isn't one of those times.

An opinion, of course. You are entitled to it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:39 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

The evergreen tree is a symbol of survival of life though the (North European) winter.
It was adapted by Christians from pagan tradition.

Excuse me for laughing. But, a live evergreen (a beautiful tree) is minding its own business in the forest, and along comes some people and kill it for the purpose of symbolizing survival of (I thought everlasting) life in the Christian tradition. I believe I cannot be the only Jewish person that finds it humorous that it was originally a German tradition.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:54 pm
You miss the symbolism point. The display is actually an angel with a tree up its ass.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:32 pm
<laughing and shaking head at the same time>

I had a perfectly serious reply all set to go, and then farmerman had to go and post something hilarious. Obviously my timing is off.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 12:49 am
Actually the only interaction that Christ had with a tree was cursing that fig tree for not having fruit out of season. It died. A holy miracle - I bet the owner was in the crowd baying for his blood.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:53 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Excuse me for laughing. But, a live evergreen (a beautiful tree) is minding its own business in the forest, and along comes some people and kill it for the purpose of symbolizing survival of (I thought everlasting) life in the Christian tradition. I believe I cannot be the only Jewish person that finds it humorous that it was originally a German tradition.

Not so strange. But a humorous observation.

Pagans (not christians) sacrificed more than trees, when they felt the need.
And when you life in a deep, dark forest of a squillion evergreens, are you going to miss one little one?
Foofie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:47 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Not so strange. But a humorous observation.

Pagans (not christians) sacrificed more than trees, when they felt the need.
And when you life in a deep, dark forest of a squillion evergreens, are you going to miss one little one?

Multiplication Holmes!
0 Replies