quinn1

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:13 pm
How many of you who have pets that also purchase your pet food and snacks make an effort to read the label for not only ingredients but, also the analysis of protein/fat, etc on the packaging?
I know a great many people have gone the route of making their own pet food and treats, and thats fabulous if you have the time and ability to do that well. If however, you cant or arent able to do that, do you follow the advice of your vet, fellow pet owners, or work it out yourself?
My vet suggested the most expensive food on the market for my cats. Im sure that its a fabulous item however, Id like to eat as well. I do however always make the effort to read the labels for not only the ingredients but, the analysis as well and come up with the best for what I can afford that they have liked and have shown good signs of as far as coat, etc.
I probable do this because its a natural habit for fish food for me so, once I got the cats, I just aplied the same shopping to them.
Maybe Im just anal but, I just wanted to know if I had company Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,294 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:17 pm
How about a some of the above option?

I use some of what the vet suggests, I read labels and I make meals for the dogs from scratch on occasion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:31 pm
Yes, I am more like ehBeth...I do most of the above...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:05 pm
I went through the label reading thing when I had a cat with kidney problems. That takes a special diet, but I'm satisfied with what I'm using now, which is IAMS. I do not cook for the wretched beasts.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:49 pm
I don't cook for my pets, but they do sometimes get scraps. Screech is on a special prescription food that costs as much for a tiny bag as Bootsie's huge Eukanuba bags.

I do read ingredients and the composition break-down thingie. Then I buy the type of the brand that suits. Bootsie gets dog food for old big doggies.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
I am humbled. I use IAMS, which is priced somewhat north of premium ground beef. I started Spooky on Eukanuba kitten blend, but switched due to price when he got older.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:09 am
You're humble, but I'm broke.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:23 am
I find I like Alpo the best. Tastes like wet beef jerky.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:24 am
Wet beef jerky tastes like wet shoe leather.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:13 pm
I was thinking of adding that option to the poll...glad you all added your thoughts as well.

Yeah, I fed the girls scraps a bit as well but, have cut WAY back on that...they arent happy.
Ive also cut back on the kitty treats but, I did find a fabulous treat..which ended up being freeze dried cod at 5.00 a small pouch Rolling Eyes Thats when I thought..gosh, I read the analysis but, didnt look so close at the ingredients on that one till I got it home.

I have to start thinking about a slow diet change for the girls with them approaching 7 years, its time to at least start thinking of it. Any ideas for older cats are greatly appreciated. Also, anyone with indoor cats that have used something to help their diet etc is a plus.

Slappy..you really should cut out the fat there guy...that Alpo will do you in..hvent you seen the Chuck Wagon dog...or the Mighty Dog?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:02 am
I've written many letters for them to develop reduced fat/sodium Alpo, and "high protien" Alpo.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:10 pm
Keep those letters going, its good for all of us
0 Replies