• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 10,748 • Replies: 45
Topic Closed
No top replies

dlowan

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:14 pm
@djjd62,
And I to ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) pod casts...largely from Radio National...this is its homepage:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/

I am also listening to/watching a number of TED lectures, too.
djjd62

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:16 pm
@dlowan,
i was just looking at the ABC page, going to check some of them out this weekend
0 Replies

dyslexia

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:28 pm
@dlowan,
Lady Diane thrives on TED lectures.
djjd62

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
@dyslexia,
TED?
djjd62

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
@dlowan,
trying out
Late Night Live
The Great Train Show
0 Replies

dyslexia

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

TED?
Our mission: Spreading ideas.

We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. So we're building here a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world's most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other. This site, launched April 2007, is an ever-evolving work in progress, and you're an important part of it. Have an idea? We want to hear from you.

The TED Conference, held annually in Long Beach, is still the heart of TED. More than a thousand people now attend -- indeed, the event sells out a year in advance -- and the content has expanded to include science, business, the arts and the global issues facing our world. Over four days, 50 speakers each take an 18-minute slot, and there are many shorter pieces of content, including music, performance and comedy. There are no breakout groups. Everyone shares the same experience. It shouldn't work, but it does. It works because all of knowledge is connected. Every so often it makes sense to emerge from the trenches we dig for a living, and ascend to a 30,000-foot view, where we see, to our astonishment, an intricately interconnected whole.

In recent years, TED has spawned some important extensions.

TEDGlobal is a sister conference held every other year, and in a different country on each occasion. The first conference was held in Oxford, England, in 2005; the second, in June 2007, was held in Arusha, Tanzania. The themes of the global conference are slightly more focused on development issues, but the basic TED format is maintained.

The TED Prize is designed to leverage the TED Community's exceptional array of talent and resources. It is awarded annually to three exceptional individuals who each receive $100,000 and, much more important, the granting of "One Wish to Change the World." After several months of preparation, they unveil their wish at an award ceremony held during the TED Conference. These wishes have led to collaborative initiatives with far-reaching impact.

TEDTalks began as a simple attempt to share what happens at TED with the world. Under the moniker "ideas worth spreading," talks were released online. They rapidly attracted a global audience in the millions. Indeed, the reaction was so enthusiastic that the entire TED website has been reengineered around TEDTalks, with the goal of giving everyone on-demand access to the world's most inspiring voices.

Today, TED is therefore best thought of as a global community. It's a community welcoming people from every discipline and culture who have just two things in common: they seek a deeper understanding of the world, and they hope to turn that understanding into a better future for us all.
djjd62

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:54 pm
@dyslexia,
thanks, i'll have to check that out
dlowan

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:14 pm
@djjd62,
http://www.ted.com/

enjoy!!!
djjd62

Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:24 pm
@dlowan,
looks good at a quick glance
0 Replies

Seed

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 03:22 am
after seeing what you guys watch/listen to, the podcast I catch seem a bit childish.
djjd62

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:11 am
@Seed,
i've been known to catch and episode or two of mugglecast, a harry potter podcast
Very Happy

so let's read what you hear
rosborne979

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:09 am
@djjd62,
I've got a mix of audio pods and video pods. The audio pods are good for when I'm driving. The video ones I usually watch at home on the computer but since I've got extra space on the iPod I keep them there as well.
Astronomy Cast
Best of YouTube
Escape Pod (a collection of short Sci-Fi stories)
NPR: Science Friday Podcast
Onion News Network (Comedy)
Point of Inquiry
Pseudopod (a collection of short Horror stories)
The Science Show
Science Talk: Podcast of Scientific American
TED Talks

Seed

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:11 am
@djjd62,
since I play a lot of video games I usually catch a few video game related podcast.

i listen to the Marvel and DC comic podcast as well.

the strangest cast I listen to is called Mail order Zombie which happens to review straight to video/dvd zombie movies and other zombie related things. Its rather interesting and i listen for a laugh usually.
djjd62

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:14 am
@rosborne979,
i've checked out escape and pseudopod a few times
0 Replies

Seed

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:16 am
@rosborne979,
The Onion New is quite a funny one as well.

I do like the best of youtube. I think I might have to check out the NPR: Science Friday Podcast.
djjd62

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:16 am
@Seed,
i've listened to a few itunes dc podcasts (not official dc, just folks talking)

mail order zombie sounds pretty cool, i might have to check that out
0 Replies

Seed

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:18 am
http://www.podcastalley.com/ is where i happen to go and check out quite a few podcast.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:34 am
@Seed,
http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?newsandcurrent

my favs from CBC are

Between the Covers <--- radio drama

CBC Massey Lectures 2008 <---- Margaret Atwood on debt

C’est la vie <----- life in French-speaking Canada

Dispatches <----- news from various frontlines

Ideas: How to Think About Science

Quirks & Quarks <----- more science

Search Engine

Tapestry <------ discussions about religion/religions/spirituality

Word of the Week

Writers & Company

if I could only listen to one? it would have to be Dispatches, it's changed how I think about the world

http://www.cbc.ca/dispatches/

Quote:
This week...

Cocaine loves chaos. So it's little wonder the West African state of Guinea-Bissau is fast becoming the drug cartels' country of choice. Our reporter discovers it doesn't even have a prison.

In Darfur last year, a dozen peacekeepers were slaughtered when a rebel force overran their camp. We'll hear why the International Criminal Court is now considering the precedent-setting step of indicting the rebel leaders.

The accidental shark fishery of Ecuador is a real bad accident for the sharks. Critics say the government's inadvertently declared open season on a species that can't survive being harvested.

And, standup comes to the Middle East. The region's in for its very first comedy festival, and we ask two comics how free-wheeling they really expect to be in a place where the religious and the royal are very sensitive about their subjects.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:42 am
@dlowan,
I'm a fan of the ABC as well.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/default.htm

I sometimes listen to their programming on the CBC overnight if I can't get to sleep. I particularly like their arts and science programming.

Lingua Franca and Radio Eye are good.

I'm working up to listening to the 2008 Boyer Lectures. Dunno if I can do it.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/boyerlectures/default.htm
0 Replies