Medicaid Pays Millions for Unapproved Drugs

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:52 am
Quote:
Taxpayers have shelled out at least $200 million since 2004 for medications that have never been reviewed by the government for safety and effectiveness but are still covered under Medicaid, an Associated Press analysis of federal data has found. Millions of private patients are taking such drugs, as well.
The availability of unapproved prescription drugs to the public may create a dangerous false sense of security. Dozens of deaths have been linked to them.

The medications date back decades, before the Food and Drug Administration tightened its review of drugs in the early 1960s. The FDA says it is trying to squeeze them from the market, but conflicting federal laws allow the Medicaid health program for low-income people to pay for them.

I am of two minds on this one. I think that private patients have the right to take whatever medications they want. It might be wise for the unapproved drug have a warning label on them (like the warning on cigarettes), and then they can take it or not as they choose.

As far as Medicaid is concerned, I think that it is unconscionable that taxpayer money is being used for drugs that have not been approved by the FDA.

What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:26 pm
What are the names of these medications?
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:31 pm
@Miller,
Left out the link to article, which lists some of the drugs. Sorry 'bout that!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gSODvMRZvml_Pl3v9U01o6x1VXNgD94KNFM00
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:37 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Check this out: I can't find a list of all unapproved drugs, but you may find this interesting:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/unapproved_drugs/default.htm
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:27 pm
Quote:
Last year, the FDA banned unapproved cough medicines containing hydrocodone, a potent narcotic

Doesn't this depend on the concentration of hydrocodone in the cough medicine and the individual who's using the med? Adult vs child vs infant.

I can remember when Cheracol cough medicine contained codeine and was readily available OTC without an Rx.

Wasn't there a time when COKE contained codeine?
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 04:39 am
@Miller,
Not codeine..............................cocaine!

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
Miller

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:00 am
@Phoenix32890,
I loved the old Coke...
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 05:04 am
@Miller,
Miller- I don't think that any of us on A2K are old enough to have known the Coke with the cocaine chaser!
0 Replies