How do I get the tax credit?

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 01:12 am
I have been in and out of the hospital for over a year because of a hip infection. Not going to go into detail, but I am still waiting for a hip and cannot work. Therefore, I had no income this year. When I applied for Obamacare I did not receive any tax credits (which I desperately need to afford the health care plan). According to what I heard in the press, to qualify for a tax credit you must make 100% to 400% of the poverty line. When I called the ACA Hotline I got many confusing answers. What I got out of it was they applied me to Medicaid and that's why I didn't receive the tax credit. The problem with this is I live in Florida and the state government didn't except the Medicaid expansion money from the federal government that would work for me. Furthermore, I applied for disability and Medicaid and just got denied this October of 2013 (I've been denied at least 3 times). It is impossible for me to get Medicaid in Florida (even if I was homeless).

Does anyone know how to get the tax credit? I definitely qualify for it. Unless I don't make enough money, which is unheard of! No one on the hotline knows what to do! The only suggestion from them was to appeal Obamacare on their website. One customer service rep said I had to get Medicaid denied first (which takes forever and it just got denied last month), but others said they didn't know. I don't know where else to turn. Can anyone suggest what to do? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,394 • Replies: 1
No top replies

InsuranceLady

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:55 pm
@profesao,
There is a minimum you must make the qualify for the tax credit: 100% of the poverty line. In 2014, the limit for a single person is $11,670 and if you are unemployed that could be the reason that you do not qualify. Many people in the states that did not expand Medicaid are falling into this coverage gap and are unable to get coverage. I have spoken with several people who have the same problem and it seems that the call center does shy away from having that conversation. The only good thing is that they will not have to pay the penalty for being uninsured.
0 Replies