Has Anyone Here Thought About A Great Depression

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Before you answered, I edited my second paragraph in anticipation of this question. Try rereading it. Does the meaning get clearer?
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:53 pm
@Thomas,
Just in case it still isn't clear -- there are two distinct nomenclatures in play here. One is the formal nomenclature by which every German nation state referred to itself: "Deutsches Reich" ("German Reich") That's the nomenclature used on the stamp. The "German Reichs" are not numbered in this nomenclature.

The other nomenclature in play is informal, and was used only by the Nazis. According to it, Nazi Germany was the "Third Reich", the Wilhelmian monarchy was implied to be the "Second Reich", and the Holy Roman Empire was implied to be the "First Reich". Because the Nazis despised democracy, their nomenclature didn't accord the status of a "Reich" to the Weimar Republic.

Whichever nomenclature you go by, the Weimar Republic doesn't have a number. The formal nomenclature doesn't number the "Reich"s, and the informal Nazi nomenclature doesn't consider the Weimar Republic a "Reich".
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 04:38 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you, Thomas.
I understand the explanation.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:03 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Honey, I'm already in it. I live on a low amount of social security, albeit in a house that is paid off (while being a lemon). Yet I still owe property taxes and that ain't easy.

The sign that I've given up will be when I cut out the internet access.

I was born in late '41, so the depression was not far from my small feet.
Our kitchen had a couple of drawers for string and, later, foil, and like bits of saved stuff. We made potholders and aprons from our old clothes, even in what became good times (almost all my clothes were made by my mother). But those good times flew away, and thrift continued.

Me, I, coming out of all that, was style struck, and wanted New Clothes, a nice pen, and so on. So, now, all these years later, I'm a mix. But, depression time, no surprise.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
California has been in a recession for the last three years or more. We're already on the cusp of a depression era in this area. Some counties in the Valley are up over 12% unemployment already.

I already live with just the bare basics. There isn't much else to give up, and I've already been selling bits of what little jewelry I have in order to buy groceries after paying rent.

But, if planning for survival while living in this same location, I'd get permission from the apartment owners to convert some of the landscaping areas to a community vegetable garden and organize people to help maintain it and contribute to the costs of it.

When my lease expires in a few months I'm probably going to move to New Mexico to be near family where we can pool our resources, and will probably still do the vegetable garden thing there to save on food bills.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hey, butryfly, I wish you the very best on that.
Am very interested in meeting you if that works out.
No, I don't want anything from you, or, I presume, you from me.. but
I figure we could talk, we've got lots in common.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Getting to meet everyone there is one of the attractions to moving. I never ever thought I'd ever leave California but it is becoming very difficult to be so far away from family with their various ailments and it doesn't look like they will ever be moving back.

The only drawback is the altitude. I had a rough time with it when I was there for three weeks. I'm hoping that had more to do with the unknown tumor that was growing in me at the time and not the altitude.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Well, I hope so too, re that.

I'm a lame-o re being in shape, and do okay with the altitude. On the other hand, I don't run around.

I remain with california, what, no words, my home, but I also find much wonder here.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:25 pm
I reckon I'll just keep eating my animals until the Depression (and depression) is over.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:32 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Capys all the time? What about your veggies, Gus?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:46 pm
I know people who have been preparing for a great depression since The Great Depression. If it comes, they will be very happy to finally justify all the preparing they have been doing. The Y2K scare was a big disappointment and most of them still have a cellar full canned goods they need to eat.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
osso wrote:
Capys all the time? What about your veggies, Gus?

I have broccoli.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:37 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
for veggies gus will eat bertha from down at the feed store...she never budges from that rocker on the porch amyway..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:28 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:

I know people who have been preparing for a great depression
since The Great Depression.

Yeah; even if its not a great depression, maybe it 'll be a good one.

David
0 Replies