Has Anyone Here Thought About A Great Depression

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:52 am
and what might happen if it actually occurred? Thought about it in a rational non tin foil hat way as a possibility? What you would do...how you would keep just BASIC necessities like utilities and a roof over your head and food?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,452 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:05 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Get a gun. It's the only way....

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:06 am
@Bella Dea,
I try to be proactive and not reactive...but the depression isn't even here yet and I'm running out of room to bury all these fuckers already....any other ideas?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:08 am
No. Gun ownership solves everything.

Get yourself a gun now. Before it's too late....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:11 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Yeah; I remember that.
It was 1973; one of my tenants read about the coming depression
and stocked up on a lot of canned food and bought some seeds to grow.

David
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:32 am
okay...so much for the rational approach Laughing
roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:25 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I suggest cash. In a real deflation, gold is the guaranteed loser. I'm vaguely recalling the hyperinflation period in Germany. Different situation than depression, but note that the street riots just didn't happen.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@roger,
Cash I got... but will it usable to trade and purchase?
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm
@roger,
Cash can be dicey. In a depression consumer goods aren't all hat readily available. And if it leads to inflation (which is what happened in Weimar Germany in the 1920s), your cash becomes virtually worthless.

Bella Dea's right. Buy guns now. (I'm sure David will second me on that.)

But seriously. If there's a depression coming, there isn't very much you can do to prepare for it. Always remember -- everybody else will be in the same boat. Personally, I've never lived within my means anyway. I don't intend to change my ways. You just go with the flow.
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:57 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I think you'll be alright. People in a depression need musicians to cheer them up. I believe Woody Guthrie and Louis Armstrong did okay, though not lavish, during the Great Depression.

And if you've got cash anyway -- all the better! In a deflation, the your cash will gain in purchasing power, buying you even more square footage of housing, pant-busting breaded shrimp, booze, hookers, guitars, and whatever rock-star necessities you may otherwise have in mind. Don't you worry about a depression.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:00 pm
@Thomas,
thanks thomas... they took that restaurant and made it a self serve cafeteria style place and shitcanned the buffalo shrimp app.... sacrilege I tell ya, sacrilege.
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:04 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Good thing you're in a conservative state where they still protect your Second Amendment rights. I say shoot those heathens! It's what Bella Dea would want you to do, too.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:10 pm
@Thomas,
not so conservative...we went blue.... maybe I'll just negotiate with them....no conditions or questions asked.. Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@Merry Andrew,
GOLD was the currency - if you had it - in germmany from the end of WW I to the end of november 1923 .
just to give an idea of how the inflation rose in november 1923 , i've chosen postal rates to mail a local letter :
nov 1 - 40 million marks
nov 12 - 5 billion (milliard) marks
nov 26 - 40 billion marks

http://hartgeld.com/filesadmin/images/div/inflations-briefmarke.jpg

a 20 billion marks stamp - two were needed to mail one local letter !

on dec 1 the new mark (rentenmark) became the new value and a letter could be posted for either 10 pfennig (cents) of the "new" mark or 100 billion of the "old" mark !

after the war ended in may 1945 and until the german currency reform
on june 20 , 1948 there was one universal currency :
AMERICAN AND BRITISH CIGARETTES .
a cigarette traded at about 7-8 marks each . the daily wage was about 20 marks !
all you could buy for MONEY where the rationed goods (some bread , margarine etc.) .
all other goods and services were paid for in cigarettes or equivalent value .
i remember that when i went to the dentist , my mother would send some eggs along . we had some chickens in the yard , so we were lucky , but anyone who kept chickens also had to hand a certain number of eggs over to a "collection agency" .
some people even kept a chicken or two in their apartments - but it was also difficult to find grains to feed the cchickens .
somhow we survived it all - and looking back certain parts of it look rather amusing now .
hbg

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:46 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:

Bella Dea's right. Buy guns now. (I'm sure David will second me on that.)

Thay can be a good investment; I have some with gold on them.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:49 pm
@hamburger,
Is that stamp from the 2nd Reich or the 3rd Reich ?
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Neither. The great inflation from ca. 1920 to 1923 happened during the Weimar Republic, when Germany was governed under a democratic constitution.

And I half-agree with you about gold. If there's a Great Depression, the value of gold will probably rise -- but so will the value of cash. That's assuming that Obama, unlike FDR, will continue to let markets set the value of gold relative to cash. (FDR, by fiat, decreased the price of gold from $20 per ounce to $35.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:04 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

Neither. The great inflation from ca. 1920 to 1923 happened during the Weimar Republic,
when Germany was governed under a democratic constitution.

We know THAT.
I don 't know which Reich published that stamp.

David
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Neither -- that's what I'm telling you.

The terminology of the Nazis, who coined the word "Third Reich", implies that the first "Reich" was the "Holy Roman Empire", which lasted from the 10th century to Napoleon (1806). The Second Reich, still in the Nazis' terminology, was the Wilhelminian monarchy that lasted from 1870 to 1918. The Third Reich, which the Nazis also called the "Thousand-Year-Reich", was the empire the Nazis understood themselves to be founding. It started in 1933 and turned out to last only 12 years, somewhat short of the 1000 they had planned.

The Weimar Republic referred to itself as "Deutsches Reich", just as every German state before 1945 did. That's why you see the word "Reich" in that post stamp. But from the Nazis' perspective, the Weimar Republic was a regrettable interlude between the Second Reich and the Third. It didn't count as a "Reich" for them. And except for the Nazis, nobody in Germany used or uses this First Reich, Second Reich, Third Reich terminology.

Therefore, the answer to your question -- is this stamp from the second or the third Reich? -- is "neither".
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:26 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

Re: OmSigDAVID(Post 3478862)
Neither -- that's what I'm telling you.

The terminology of the Nazis, who coined the word "Third Reich", implies that the first "Reich" was the "Holy Roman Empire", which lasted from the 10th century to Napoleon (1806). The Second Reich, still in the Nazis' terminology, was the Wilhelminian monarchy that lasted from 1870 to 1918. The Third Reich, which the Nazis also called the "Thousand-Year-Reich", was the empire the Nazis understood themselves to be founding. It started in 1933 and turned out to last only 12 years, somewhat short of the 1000 they had planned.

From the Nazi's perspective, the Weimar Republic was a regrettable interlude between the Second Reich and the Third. It didn't count as a "Reich" for them. And except for the Nazis, nobody in Germany used or uses this First Reich, Second Reich, Third Reich terminology.

Well that stamp purports to be from a Reich,
so there is a difference between what u r telling me
and what the stamp is telling me.

Maybe it is old enuf to have been published by the 2nd Reich ?

David