Free State Project: A Libertarian's Paradise?

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 12:47 pm
Is the Free State Project a Libertarian's paradise or a part of the Militia Movement? I don't know. What do you think?

The Free State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more liberty-oriented people will move to a single state of the U.S., where they may work within the political system to reduce the size and scope of government. The success of the Free State Project would likely entail reductions in burdensome taxation and regulation, reforms in state and local law, an end to federal mandates, and a restoration of constitutional federalism, demonstrating the benefits of liberty to the rest of the nation and the world.

http://www.freestateproject.org/

---BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:57 pm
The intent of the Militia movement has been violent overthrow of government from what I've seen.

The intent of this group is to overwhelm an area with like-minded people and take control via entirely constitutional means.

That's a pretty significant difference.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:08 pm
Wait till they find out how many state programs are in response to federal regulations.

Wasn't something of the sort done in Montana a decade ago, just north of Yellowstone?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:16 pm
Two states have been seriously proposed for this "experiment"; Idaho and New Hampshire. I no nothing about Idaho but a little about New Hampshire and the chance of this working there is nil to none. The promoters of this scheme seem to have little idea about just how clannish New England states can be and if 200,000 people move in with the intention of voting one way, you can guarantee that the natives will vote the other. If for no other reason then for spite.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:26 am
Oregon sect tried this once
If my memory is correct, an Indian sect tried this same tactic in Oregon a few years ago. They moved in mass to a small Oregon town with the goal of taking over the governing structure to facilitate their religious and political goals.

I think they were finally busted for some illegal activities, the details of which I've forgotten. I recall their leader bought a lot of expensive luxury cars. There also was sexual exploitation of the women by the leader.

All the details of fuzzy in my memory. I will try to find more info about this group.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:36 am
I found the cult info I was looking for
I found the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh cult info I was looking for:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/b40.html

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies