SPAM SALES UP !

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 08:59 am
@roger,
Quote:
Remember, If you ain't eaten Spam, you ain't eaten ham!

Carey Grant, I believe, delivers that line, or one very much like it, in a 1950s movie about an advertising executive looking for a slogan for the product he's been assigned to push. Can't remember the name of the film, but as I remember the line, it's "If you're outta Spam, you're outta ham."
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 09:12 am
@Nick Ashley,
spam disgusts me, i dont ever remember tasting it but the name alone makes me cringe.
hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 01:06 pm
@OGIONIK,
spam = "Something Posing As Meat"

i don't think it is any worse - perhaps better - than bologna or any other "deli" meats .
how about (canned) corned beef ; i was particularly fond of it in my younger years .
hbg
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 01:51 pm
@OGIONIK,
See, that's what I'm talking about! I was the same way until a friend of mine had me try a slice. Actually, as soon as I saw it frying in the pan, my view of it changed. When it looked like a normal piece of ham being cooked, like they serve at Dennys for breakfast, I thought it probably wouldn't be too bad.

I'm not saying its so delicious that you have to go out and buy it, but if a friend asks if you want some or something, know that its not half bad.
hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:02 pm
@Nick Ashley,
a frien of mine was a salesman for a sausage and canned meat producer .
he refused to eat any kind of sausage or canned meat product .
"if i can no longer see what part of the animal the meat is coming from , i won't eat it ! " , was his answer to an offering of sausages etc .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
That's because they have a special kind of sushi made with spam. LOL
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
@Nick Ashley,
True; fry spam and put it between two bread with mustard. YUM
roger

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:12 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
Remember, If you ain't eaten Spam, you ain't eaten ham!

Carey Grant, I believe, delivers that line, or one very much like it, in a 1950s movie about an advertising executive looking for a slogan for the product he's been assigned to push. Can't remember the name of the film, but as I remember the line, it's "If you're outta Spam, you're outta ham."

Mr. Blanding Builds his Dream House.
hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
or how about a slice of "headcheese'" ("suelzkopf" , if you prefer ) ,
some "bloodsausage" ("blutwurst" - also very nice fried ) - but have never eaten "mock chicken" .
my germanic prejudice is showing .

c.i. : if you ever make it to hamburg , you must try some LABSKAUS !
it's a fried mixture of corned beef , potatoes and mashed pickled beets with a garnish of a fried egg , a pickle and sweet-and-sour herring !!!
of course , you'll need plenty of beer to wash it down !

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5615/labskauspy7.jpg

here i am ready to attack a LABSKAUS in the "ratsweinkeller" in hamburg - the restaurant in the bowels of the hamburg city hall .

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:09 pm
@roger,
Y'know, Roger, that's what I thought and was going to write. But then I thought, nahh, that can't be right. You're getting senile, Andy. Thanx.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:13 pm
What is life without Potter's Meat? Incomplete.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
...with it, an abode of bliss.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 06:23 pm
@hamburger,
I'm willing to try most foods once - even without beer.
0 Replies