oxygen level

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:53 pm
when i sleep my oxygen level drops. I was told I need oxygen when I go to bed. Is there some kind of pill or something I can take so my oxygen level does not drop when I am sleepin?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:04 pm
do you have some kind of cardiac myopathy or obstructive pulmonary disease? If thats the case, supplemental oxygen is available . Either that, or you may have to sleep more upright.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
@556677,
This is the wrong place to go for medical advise. Any online source would probably kill you without a proper diagnosis. Ever think to ask the doctor?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:37 am
@NickFun,
telling someone to call their doctor is very sound medical advice...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:33 am
@556677,
Quote:
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)?
People with OSA experience recurrent episodes during sleep when their throat closes and they cannot suck air into their lungs (apnea). This happens because the muscles that normally hold the throat open during wakefulness relax during sleep and allow it to narrow. When the throat is partially closed and/or the muscles relax too much, trying to inhale will suck the throat completely closed and air cannot pass at all. This is an obstructive sleep apnea episode.

A cessation of breathing must last 10 seconds or more to be called an apnea. Obstructive apnea episodes can last as long as two minutes and are almost always associated with a reduction in the level of oxygen in the blood. When an individual is in the midst of an obstructive sleep apnea episode, as long as sleep continues, the apnea continues. It is only terminated and the victim's life is saved by waking up. This arousal instantly increases the activity of the muscles of the tongue and throat muscles that enlarge the airway. The victim will be able to breathe and to once again fill the lungs with life-giving oxygen. This cycle may be repeated hundreds of times a night while the sufferer has no idea it is happening.

http://www.sleepquest.com/sq_best_guide.shtml

It is possible that you have sleep apnea. You need to see a doctor who specializes in this, who is often a pulmonologist or a neurologist.

I have sleep apnea, and I use a C-Pap machine. When I got used to it, I found that the white noise that it makes is very soothing.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-apnea/continuous-positive-airway-pressure-cpap-for-obstructive-sleep-apnea

Check yourself out with a doctor who knows about sleep disorders. In a good sleep apnea clinic, a person will stay there all night, their body being wired for EKG, EEG and blood oxygen levels, among other things. If they find that the person does indeed have sleep apnea, he will go another night, so the techs can determine just what level of air that he needs in the machine.

Sleep apnea can be dangerous, and can cause a stroke. It is important that it is not ignored, and unfortunately, there is no pill to cure it. Sometimes losing weight will help.
mags314772

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:35 pm
@Phoenix32890,
How hard was it to get used to sleeping with the machine? I have been sleeping with oxygen for two weeks, and that was pretty easy. Too many people have told me bad things about the cpap, and if I have to use one *I will find out in a couple of weeks) I want to give it a positive try.
0 Replies