Concerts and Performances Your First

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:52 pm
What was the first Concert or Performance you attended?
Did it impact you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,771 • Replies: 32
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:57 pm
archie bell and the drells
knocked my socks off I must have been about 12
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:00 pm
In the summer of 1967, some friends invited me to join them in seeing a new group. I asked them how much it was, and they said $5.00. That was pretty steep for a group i'd barely heard of -- The Doors. That Light My Fire crap had been on the radio until i was sick to death of it. I went anyway. We met a guy who was trippin' and practically givin' away some of the best reefer i had ever smoked. We met some chicks who were hot and very naughty. Oh yeah, and the band was pretty good, too . . .
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:18 pm
I don't know if it qualifies, but when I was about 14 or 15 Tommy James and the Shondelles played a a local dance club here in town. Remember My baby does the Hanky Panky?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:31 pm
The Kingston Symphony when I was in grade 3 or 4. The only thing I really remember is that before we went, we were taught concert manners, including how to clap properly.

I think I might have been taken to some outdoor band concerts before that, but it was probably a military band, playing the kind of music i still despise, so I refuse to count that.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:34 pm
I remember Tommy James and the Shondelles, but not much :-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:35 pm
Don't think I can qualify for a Symphony, but have been to several HighSchool and JrHigh band concerts.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:17 pm
Ooooh, Setanta...
I am SO envious of you! The Doors are my all time favorite band.

The first concert I went to was a Led Zeppelin concert in Seattle when I was about 14 years old...It was excellent!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:21 pm
Swimpy...

I used to make my kids laugh when they were babies by singing that line from that song to them. Smile
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:48 pm
I'm too embarrassed to mention my first but .........Whats important is that you can always have a first time concert experience if you go see "The Rolling Stones at the Max"..... Thats imax as in cinema. Truely a great concert experience and if you like the Stones, it's even better.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 09:12 pm
My Dad took me to a Louis Armstrong concert when I was about 10. I've loved live music of almost any sort since.

Oh, and Setanta ... there was a BAND, TOO?!?!? I must not have noticed ... Rolling Eyes

timber
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 06:56 am
Yeah, you did, remember that goofball with the microphone who kept playin' with himself ?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:02 am
It was 1981:The National Arena outside of Birmingham,England and The Electric Light Orchestra were on their European Tour with their new album "Time".I loved it.Not sure I would now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:16 am
My first -
My big brother did not want me to tag along with him that evening. He bought my ticket and dropped me at the door. It was Conway Twitty. In those days Twitty was touted as a rock star despite the fact he sounded more country. His current records were Mona Lisa and Is a Bluebird Blue. It was a disaster for him because in another town no more than an hour away Jerry Lee Lewis gave a performance at the same time. Jerry had already been disgraced, but he drew a crowd of 8,000, while Twitty drew just 400. He did his hits for a bit then launched a set of pure country which lasted til it was over. He kept telling everyone to dance, but no one did.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:22 am
I went to Tanglewood with a friend. I was in my mid-twenties, and never really cared for classical music. Actually, I was pretty bored. All of a sudden, the conductor started playing a piece, and I was mesmerized. I burst into tears, and could not stop sobbing. I ran to the front of the shed, so I could hear it even louder. The piece was so powerful that it literally went into my bones.

That piece began my love of classical music, which has continued until this day. What was the piece? "Siegfried's Funeral March" from Der Gotterdamerung, by Wagner.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:56 am
What's wrong with the poll? Crying or Very sad

I can't seem to be able to cast my vote! Rolling Eyes b
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 10:11 am
Not sure what's wrong with the poll, once you vote you cannot edit or change it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 10:42 am
My dad was a contractor and, for a while, he built recording studios. From his connections in music we got concert tickets to just about every show that came to the area. My first concert was when I was about 8 - Donovan, followed days later by James Brown. I think this set me up to love just about any kind of sound.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:20 am
When I was a teenager, massive rock concerts were not allowed in Mexico; some -very few- were held in ritzy places I couldn't dream to afford. Jazz was allowed, though. The first concert I paid my ticket for was with Thelonius Monk.

You have brought a lot of memories:

Tommy James, "Crimson and Clover".
Donovan, "Superlungs my Supergirl", but mostly, "I Love my Shirt".
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:07 pm
I voted classical because I was thinking that my first concert was when I saw Carmen performed by the San Franciso Opera in 1965. But then I remembered that my first concert was in high school in 1964, the Chad Mitchell Trio at San Diego State University. We all sat on the floor and sang along.
0 Replies