moving my plants

EileenM

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 12:58 am
I'm moving soon and I'm really worried about all my plants... There is plenty of space in the new house but I'm wondering if the new atmosphre is going to shock them. anyone give me some help on this? is there any way to make the more as easy as possible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,313 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:35 am
Plants are pretty durable. Just make sure they're well watered before you pack them and try to place them in similar lighting in the new place. If they start to look like they are having troubles, give them a bit of plant food and change their locations in the new place until you find a spot they are comfy in.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:40 am
Bookmarking... I'll ask Mrs. SealPoet when I get the chance.

We moved alosmst two years ago, and plants that were just hanging on 15 miles to the southeast are thriving here. But then, obviously, we didn't go far.

If you are changing climates that could have an impact...

(I don't really know. She's the gardener, I'm the shovel.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:46 am
I agree with Butrfly Eileen. I read somewhere last year that plants actually like to be moved around every now and then. Good luck.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:48 am
Montana wrote:
I....plants actually like to be moved around every now and then. Good luck.

Lazy bums - why cant they move by themselves ???

I keep moving arnd my house plants often - within my house though, and they seem to take it pretty well.....

But I do it only becase I get bored after a while seeing the same plant at the same place for an extended period of time !
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:51 am
LOL Gautam. You're too funny.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 05:03 pm
Eileen - are these indoor or outdoor plants? Both?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 05:15 pm
I found out, years ago, that a Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus plant will be 'shocked' into blooming when it's moved.... I just moved, myself, and am anxiously awaiting the beautiful pink blooms to appear!!....

Eileen, are you moving within driving distance? Can you pack all your plants on the back seat of your car? How long will they be in the car?

Good luck with your move.... be careful not to lift too many heavy boxes... LOL... isn't it amazing how much 'stuff' we accumulate???

LOL... Gautam... that's funny!!! My dogs were the easiest things to move... I didn't have to lift them into the car, and they even carried their own frisbees.... LOL...

:-)
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 05:59 pm
All my plants are indoor and I am within driving distance... The only thing is I have saved many of my friends plants over the years because there's were shocked when they were moved, so now I have TONS of plants and am afraid that I might risk killing them like their previous owners...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:38 pm
I've got a lot of moves in my history - lots of house plants moved in that time. I think the key is preventing drafts before, during and after the move - being careful with water temp and letting the water sit for a bit at the new place before using it - AND if at all possible making the water transition easy by taking a big jug of your current water along, and adjusting the balance of the water over the next 2 - 3 weeks. The biggest plant I moved was a schefflera that was over 5 feet tall and about 6 feet in 'wingspan'. I packed it in a big, rented wardrobe box and it was happy until mrs. hamburger put it in a room with NO natural light. arrrrrrghhhhhhh.
0 Replies