Thanksgiving 08

Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:25 pm
Wow Thanksgiving is just around the corner! I have never personally cooked a turkey on my own, my parents and grandparents did that for me growing up but there is help on the web. At Edit [Moderator]: Link removed they have a 2 hour turkey recipe that their experts claim is fool proof. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,435 • Replies: 10
Topic Closed

Rockhead

Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:28 pm
@DixiePup,
I'm not gonna view it, but there are some serious cooks (and kooks) here at A2K, I'm guessing there will be some turkey talk rather shortly.

I am sizing up my bird as we type...

(welcome to the network)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:33 pm
@DixiePup,
Still work for Safeway, Dixie?
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:39 am
@DixiePup,
This recipe has been originated by the Barbara Kafka "Roasting" method that she has written about for years. She does the high heat variant for all kinds of meats and it works. We discussed this technique for several years so Safeway has jumped on board (They can hardly claim exclusivity since theyve just glommed Kafakas rexipe)

There is one time that the high heat DOES NOT work. That is on "Heritage Turkeys". These birds, raised almost as wild turkeys in large grassy pastures and fed in the fields, are really fine flavored and not as heavy breasted as the factory birds. The high heat method doesnt work as well because these birds arent as fatty. They need to be cooked at about 350 for the extra hour.
We like the flavor of heritage birds, its a flavor I can only describe as more turkeyish and the dark meat abounds. Those that like breast meat wont care for Heritage Birds but those who want a 12-15 lb dark meat lovely , will find them just the ticket.

If we had PMing I could let you know where to get heritage birds all over the EAst Coast ,(Im sure they raise these things all over the country)

alex240101

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:40 am
@DixiePup,
Good day DixiePup.
If your planning on useing one of those aluminum foil roasters, go ahead and splurge the extra dollar, on a heavy duty upgrade.
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
...If we had PMing I could let you know where to get heritage birds all over the EAst Coast ,(Im sure they raise these things all over the country)

I don't think she'll care much unless you say they can be bought at Safeway.
farmerman

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:39 am
@jespah,
Well that my be so. I think she should give credit to Kafka for that recipe (although Kafakas even includes another variant at 500 degrees at 7 min per pound ) The oven must be preheated and the bird at room temp first.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:49 am
@DixiePup,
I follow a variation of Alton Brown's turkey recipe. Basically you thaw out the turkey, and soak it in a brine mixture with lots of salt for a minimum of 30 minutes. Then tuck back the wings, oil the breast, and form a "triangle breast-plate" out of aluminum foil -- don't put it on yet. Heat the oven to 500 degrees, and place the bird in there for 30 minutes. Then reduce the oven to 350, put the breast-plate on, stick in a meat thermometer through the foil into the center of the breast, and let it cook to 170. You can remove the foil an hour or so into the process. Makes a very moist turkey.
alex240101

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:48 pm
@Ticomaya,
..I get a wing.
0 Replies

DixiePup

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 10:52 pm
@jespah,
not true..i am here to discuss i do care and yes i do work with Safeway still Ossobuco. Those Heritage Turkey's do sound amazing. I did not know this recipe originated by the Barbara Kafka "Roasting" method...hey you learn a new thing everyday right?
husker

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:40 pm
@DixiePup,
this is the first time in my life I have worked on Thanksgiving whats the world coming to?
0 Replies