Never felt like and executioner before.........

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:55 pm
My fella's 14 year old springer spaniel was run over last week. His pelvis was cracked and after and expensive vet treatment ($1000. +) the dog was x-rayed, hobbled and given medication. After the prescribed week in traction, the hobble was taken off and he seemed fine. The next day the dog was paralyzed and in pain.
So after a few day of heartfelt soul searching and a few tears, I took the dog to be euthanized this morning.
As I drove to the vets, I couldn't help feeling like death with a black hood over my head. I had trouble looking the dog in the eyes. Two hours later, I'm sure he's dead and in doggie heaven now, but god...if I could just shake the feeling. It's a sad, sad day.
Ceili
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:02 pm
Ach, ceili.
Doing the right thing when your pet is sick/injured is so difficult. You can't make it better for them, even when that's all you want to do.
I wish we could help you feel good about this. I know that I believe you did the right thing.

When you feel like it, c'mon back and tell a story or two about the old pup.

((((((ceili)))))))
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:28 pm
He was a good pup and had a good life, which I believe includes a good death. You cared enough to let him go, when he truly needed you the most.

You did the right thing.

This is a part of the mourning process, and it's perfectly natural. And I'd like to echo what Beth said - when you're ready tell us about him, his silly stuff, his sweet stuff, whatever you like. We'll be here.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:29 pm
I've had to do that with several beloved cats when they got terminally ill. That drive home is the worst.

There's a wonderful website that's been on the Net for years now. It's called Rainbow Bridge. Take some time and read some of the tributes, poetry and listen to the soothing music. It's a good cry and a warm heart for beloved friends.

Quote:
Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 06:12 pm
Aw, Ceili, I know how you feel. Crying or Very sad Have had to do that a number of times, with very dear cats. It's a very difficult thing to do. I hope you're feeling a little more comforted today.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 06:30 pm
Butrflynet - thank you for posting the link to the Rainbow Bridge. A good friend from Abuzz wrote a beautiful poem that we posted there when another friend of the WildClickers had to help her dog move onward.

The Rainbow Bridge has really been helpful a few times.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 06:48 pm
I still love that website. It has the perfect music background (I often load the site just to listen to the music while I surf). I especially like the idea of the Monday Night Candle Ceremony and the tributes owners have written to pets are very touching.

My brother has a tribute there for his Bosley. Bosley was Best Dog for my brother's wedding. The two of them were the best pals a man and dog could be, riding on motorcycle together and never leaving each other's side until the last breath was done.

Yes, indeed....that website helps a lot with the grieving process... :::sniff::: Crying or Very sad

I haven't written any tributes for my kitties. Even after all these years, it's still hard to put it into words.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 07:45 pm
Ceili
I'm so so sorry about your loss. I had to do the same thing years ago with a cat I had for 15 years and I know how terrible you feel. My heart hurts for you girl.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:32 pm
Thank you all so much for the kind words and the wonderful web site. Shadow wasn't my dog but I couldn't stand to see him in pain so I talked my guy into putting his beloved pup down. It had to be done, it's unfortunate but the vet hospital was very understanding and comforting. I've never had to do this before but I'm glad shadow is no longer in pain.
Ceili
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:41 pm
That's the main thing. Shadow can now rest in peace.

A big hug going your way.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:54 pm
Thanks montana. Sometimes the tough decisions are the right ones to make. RIP
Ceili
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 10:22 pm
You're absolutely right.
0 Replies