as the worm turns

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:41 am
WASHINGTON (AFP) " The United States is considering taking part in talks with elements of the Taliban in a sharp change in tactics in Afghanistan, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday citing unnamed officials.

"Senior White House and military officials believe that engaging some levels of the Taliban -- while excluding top leaders -- could help reverse a pronounced downward spiral in Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan," the paper said on its website.

The report said the new approach was contained in a draft recommendation in a classified White House assessment of US strategy in Afghanistan. Talks would be led by the Afghan government, "but with the active participation of the US," it said.

The final White House recommendation is expected next month after the US presidential elections, the report said.

Earlier this month, Afghan officials met with former members of the Taliban government in talks in Saudi Arabia.

The Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan has grown steadily despite the presence of tens of thousands of international troops helping the Afghan security forces. There is consensus that the violence will not be ended solely through military means.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,487 • Replies: 3
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:38 pm
@dyslexia,
This approach makes more sense to me than what is happening now. I don't see that the seven years of engagement have been worth it. If they had put forth sufficient effort there in the beginning, with a single minded effort to get all or most of Bin Laden's bunch, then came home, I would have supported this invasion.
Blickers

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Obviously, Bush never really cared that much about Afghanistan in the first place. That's why he put 10 times as many troops in Iraq as in Afghanistan.

We are reaping the results of that right now.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:48 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
US strategy in Afghanistan

Oh! That's one of those..... waddayacallits!?

You know.......an.....an....... an oxymoron!
0 Replies