How much would you/have you paid for a watch?

Mr Stillwater

Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:34 pm
As the Lunar Module was used in a fairly novel manner during the mission:

Quote:
Towing fees
Grumman Aerospace Corporation, the builder of the LM, issued an invoice for $312,421.24 to North American Rockwell,[15] the builder of the CM module, for "towing" the crippled ship most of the way to the Moon and back. The invoice was drawn up as a gag following Apollo 13's successful splashdown by one of the pilots for Grumman, Sam Greenberg. He had earlier helped with the strategy for rerouting power from the LM to the crippled CM. The invoice included a 20% commercial discount, as well as a further 2% discount if North American were to pay in cash. North American politely declined payment, noting that they had ferried Grumman LMs to the Moon on three previous occasions with no such reciprocal charges.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:56 am
No closer to a timepiece.

And its getting out of control. I am now obsessively checking out the watches of everyone I met. Scary. They probably think I'm planning to mug them, based on the net worth of their wristwatch - I am going to go to Hell because of this....
msolga

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 05:11 am
@Mr Stillwater,
I thought you might like to know, Mr Stillwater, that I own no less than 18 watches. (Really.) I don't quite know how this state of affairs came about ... I just kept seeing watches I liked & bought them! Actually, I decided quite a while ago that, given that I worked in messy jobs (with paint & clay & inks, splashing water around, etc) that an expensive watch was most likely not going to last too long. So I bought a variety of cheapies instead. They seem to happily survive no matter what sort of tough treatment they receive & I don't have to worry too much about any damage that might occur. Only setback: Daylight saving change-over time, then changing back to "normal" time again, later on. It's a helluva job!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 05:26 am
@Mr Stillwater,
I have three watches. One doesn't really count. It is an old fashioned watch that I inherited from my mother with a couple of small diamonds on it, and a rope band. I am not sure that it even works.

For the last 25+ years, I have been buying Seikos. Basically, I buy the same watch, the only difference being a slight change in the band, as new models come out.

I wait until there is a good sale (If it is 50% off, I jump). Right now I have two of practically the same watch. One is all gold color, while the other is of a gold/ silver mixture.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/SWZ058.asp

I like to pay no more than $150- for a watch, and wear it until it dies.
Mr Stillwater

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 01:46 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
For the last 25+ years, I have been buying Seikos.

I am glad to hear it. If you confessed to shop-lifting Seikos for 25 years I would have to report this activity. You would have ended up doing time! Ba-boom!
0 Replies

margo

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:00 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Stilly..

my watch died earlier this year. Because I needed a watch at the time, I splashed out on a $40 man's watch (I need the large face because I'm as blind as a bat!) - which goes, and tells the time.

For my birthday a cuppla weeks later, someone gave me an extremely elegant watch (bit out of place on me, let me tell ya!)

You're welcome to my other one! Because I'm a caring, sharing person it's yours, free of charge!
Mr Stillwater

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:11 am
@margo,
Quote:
You're welcome to my other one! Because I'm a caring, sharing person it's yours, free of charge!

Well, I am touched! That is because I use very cheap internet cafes.

I tell you what.. gather up a largish collection of watches. Don't be afraid to remove them off the wrists of their 'owners' or liberate them from shopfronts. Send them to "Stillwater's House of Pre-loved Timepieces and Erotic Cake Emporium*" and I'll pocket the proceeds..... did I say that? I meant, make a choice of them and send the rest back to... yeah..

*http://www.laughinghens.com/media/Image/Cakes/Breasts.jpg
NB Jacquie came round and modelled for the cake. When she was getting dressed she asked how much it was to do a job like mine. I told her, "$3.95 an hour". She said, "That's not much". I said, "It's all I can afford".
ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:04 am
@margo,
I have been known to buy the mens' watch instead of the womens' for the same reason, margo... also, sometimes I like the look of them better too.
0 Replies

margo

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:12 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
The watch I'm offering you is totally devoid of style and/or panache...............

And I have a whole lot of others that don't/won't/can't go - you're welcome to them, as well!
Mr Stillwater

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:21 am
@margo,
Quote:
The watch I'm offering you ..

K or L cup? Me and P-dog have a bet going....
margo

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:32 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
in your cups, you mean!
Mr Stillwater

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:28 pm
@margo,
Quote:
in your cups

Moi! Would a man of impeachable integrity go out and get drunk, look at ladies with (ahem) large racks and in an alcoholic haze manage to propose to all the single women on A2K? Moi?

Please check the threads Margo, I think I just exactly did that... the wabbit is going to kill me...
margo

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:26 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Hmmmm

You said we were all too old or too wabbity! Except Lil K - or was it Bethie?

Yeah- there's a chance the wabbit will get you.

I'm heading to Addy-laid in a cuppla weeks. Might be able to do something for you...or not!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 09:14 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
You didn't mean it about the tamarind and passion in Vegas?

<runs away sobbing>
margo

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:25 am
@ehBeth,
I thought it was a bit unclear about whom he was speaking.

It could be you - or you could be so lucky - and it's K!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:38 am
http://images.cafepress.com/product/50448056v3_350x350_Front.jpg

I am so dead....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:47 am
In a bizarre twist of fate, my own mother has asked me to buy my father a watch for Xmas! We aren't looking in the $4000+ bracket. At least I know where to go now.....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 10:42 am
Yesterday I bought this for my shawty as part of her Christmas present. Some time ago she mused that she might like a "watch that looks like a man's watch." The challenge was, to make the "women's men's watch" look unmistakably feminine, manufacturers like to add tons of crystals to the dial. My sweetheart, modest girl she is, probably wouldn't wear anything remotely glittery.

I think this will do. It's practical. It's a Fossil.

http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/is/image/FossilPartners/ES1793_main?$fossil_pdpdetail$
Joeblow

Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:02 pm
@Gargamel,
I was routing around for a different thread, but found this one.

Anyway. Now I have questions.

Eoe, did you ever have occasion to wear your mama’s rhinestone watch?

Gargamel, did your shawty love her present? I'd wear that in a minute.

Stilly, are you still around? What did you get for your dad?
0 Replies

Deepak Bhalla

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 03:57 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Hello Friends,

Pandora was founded on the principle of supporting artists and we're proud to pay performance fees. We think artists could and should ultimately earn even more. But all of this revenue is coming from a single company. A predatory licensing fee orchestrated over ten years ago by the RIAA and their lobbyists in Washington has devastated internet radio. Few now deem it worthy of major investment, including most notably, virtually every major broadcaster. After spending years building an audience, the original three largest webcasters (AOL, Yahoo! LaunchCast and MSN) fled the business after the last rate hike was imposed. This is not a recipe for a sustainable industry. It is a destructive stranglehold that is putting at risk a much larger reward for musicians everywhere.

Thanks and Regards,
Deepak Bhalla
0 Replies