How much would you/have you paid for a watch?

Reyn

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:36 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

I used to wear Casios, they were around 25.00 and lasted exactly one year, I think I still have around 7 of them....

Wow! Either you were extremely unlucky, or I have an exceptional Casio watch!
Mr Stillwater

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:55 pm
Checked the Guiness Book of World Records 2008.

The most expensive watch category is for one 'costing' about 1.15 million (US I guess).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:59 pm
Eoe and JoeBlow and Soz, not to leave the rest of youse out..

I still have a watch of my mother's, but it never worked in my lifetime. I took it to a jeweler once who said it couldn't be fixed. I suppose it could with new rigging, but I wear it occasionally on a ribbon as a necklace. It was ornate, a silver or platinum or faux case, really antique looking, probably from the early 1900's but perhaps earlier. Had a sapphire in the winding thing. Had a ribbon band, which Dummy Osso threw out a few decades ago. Slaps self.

I also have a neato (hard to see, Guess?) watch, sort of rectangular but the frame and the glass curve somewhat... well, somewhat like the wrist curves. Yeah, roman numerals. I got it at a thrift shop I went to with a friend who then lived in Napa. Paid, uh, $7.00 for it, got a new leather band. The face is pearlescent. It too needs a new battery but worked fine until this last one ran out of battery poop.

Mr Stillwater

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:25 pm
Battery pooped out! Consider yourself lucky! Farmerman had it tough, back them to keep a watch going:

Quote:
you needed to feed the beast with shovels full of coal

and live in hole in road, work 18 hours at mill for sixpence and at night Father would thrash us to sleep!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 12:22 am
Awww, ****!

Quote:
McCain Waving Wrist Watch
These watches really Wave Wear an American Hero with Pride
www.ElectionWatches.com
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 12:25 am
Quote:
So, he hid it, in one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years he wore this watch . . . up his ass

Can't see this model flying off the shelves...... <snicker>
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 03:31 am
watches that have precious metal cases have been all over the map scale in price for the last year or so. Theres a Tag with a Platinum case and band. Itws about 50K now, last year it was 35 K.

0 Replies

TTH

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 05:17 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Me and my spouse were at JC Penneys and I fell in love with a watch that I happened to see. This was back in 1984 and the watch cost approx. $170 without tax. That was alot of money back then and imo today too. I pleaded with him to let me purchase the watch and he said no, it costs too much. I told him I would never buy another watch if he let me get that one. He still said no. Then we ran across a co-worker of his and his wife. The subject of the watch was brought up and the co-worker told my spouse to let me buy the watch and quit being a tight wad. So, my spouse relented and I still have the watch and wear it. I have never bought another watch nor have I wanted to. The brand is Citizen.
Joeblow

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:40 am
@eoe,
Funny, you know. I think sometimes I carry myself a little differently when I'm wearing mine. Without being too wierd about it, I take a little grace with me whenever I put them on. May you feel gorgeous and special when you wear yours.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:43 am
@ossobuco,
(Slaps self in sympathy) I'm glad you still find a way to enjoy it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:06 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I can go you one better, Mr Stillwater, my kindred spirit. I have never worn a watch. And I don't have an alarm clock. I wake up at the same time every morning despite what time I go to bed. Kind of weird.
And you know what? Now that I am old and wake up in the middle of the night and have to go to the bathroom, I can think "It must be 1 am (or 3 am)" and I will be pretty darned close.
well yeah.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:45 am
I always had cheaper watches, from $20 to $80, and they just wouldn't last. A year ago I bought a used B & M off ebay for about $600, MSRP on a new one is $2700. It's not extremely flashy, looks good while wearing a t-shirt, but still nice looking enough with a suit. Figured it'll last forever, as long as I take care of it.
Mr Stillwater

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:56 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy!! My man! See you have kept with the 'hair free' look - suits you.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:59 am
@TTH,
Quote:
he said no, it costs too much

Honey, I think that cost me my marriage too. Only, it wasn't a watch as such... it could have been the extras - a 3/4 of a million dollar house and all those fuckin' children.... still, a watch and a new pair of shoes might have done it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:22 pm
Ahem, little angry there aren't we fellah? Just having a spot of bother re: child support lately.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:42 pm
@eoe,
Eoe,
Yeah, every so often another kid or even an adult would describe it as "different"....most just don't understand that different does not equate wrong.

------

This is something kind of odd that I have noticed about myself...you know when you are talking to someone and they mention that they are running late....while looking towards their watch, or even tapping it...."gotta go, gotta go". When I do this myself, I always look at or tap the normal place where the watch face would be, I never turn my wrist over and tap the actual face of the watch....I suppose that would be more of a learned bit of body language, than a factual one.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 08:01 pm
@Reyn,
Honestly, I wouldn't blame it on the brand at all...those watches were wore/worn out during a very busy and rough phase in my career....but mainly a few industry changes in my trade {Masonry} has helped to extend the life of my Timex to just over a dozen years now.....and plus I was older {27} and more careful in general by the time I had bought the watch...I don't get cut or bruised as often anymore either.

----------

I scanned these a few years ago, the blackish watch actually looks a bit more worn now.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p173/2PacksAday/060206205453.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:26 pm
http://payrise.careerone.com.au/?247SEO=N&amp;CMP=KNC-SEM&amp;referrer=gsitetarget&amp;utm_source=google-trials&amp;utm_medium=cpc&amp;utm_campaign=GoogleT+ON-ST

Note how the watch changes with the increase in pay. Down at the lowest, there is no watch. What are they trying to tell me?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:25 pm
This is what started this inquiry. The Omega 'Speedmaster' became the watch of choice for astronauts....
http://www.wertuhr.de/slide/omega/3570-50/3570-50_7.JPG
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:32 pm
...and rechristened as the 'Moonwatch'. Still damn expensive for someone who won't be visiting the Moon in the near future.

The other bit of fame/trivia is that in April 1970 the astronauts on 'Apollo 13"
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/A13-plaque.jpg/728px-A13-plaque.jpg
used the chronograph "to manually time the secondary rocket burns to bring the crippled Apollo 13 spacecraft back to Earth".

0 Replies