Ringo Starr - No More Fan Mail

mismi

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 09:59 am
Quote:
If you do write, your letter will end up in the trash.

That's the message from Richard Starkey, aka Ringo Starr. After 45 years of stardom, he doesn't want to spend any more time answering mail or sending signed photos back to fans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081014/ap_en_mu/eu_people_ringo_starr

I can understand being tired of it all and just wanting to stop. But it does show a bit of ungratefulness, even though he wishes them all "peace and love". Is it wrong to continue to receive the fan mail and not read it? Was it necessary to let them KNOW how annoying their devotion to them was? What would you do in this situation if you were Ringo?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 1,958 • Replies: 25

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:15 am
@mismi,
Get over it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
@mismi,
I saw that, too, on tv last night. I thought it was fine. I think he was telling people not to waste their time as he's not into it anymore. It's better than not knowing he's just throwing it out. And why should he have to throw it out, anyway? I think I'd be sick of it, too.

I dunno, I thought it was a funny announcement. I've always loved that guy but I've never written him (or anyone else) a fan letter Smile

From your link:

"But he has angered longtime fans in Liverpool by telling interviewers that he does not miss his native city. Vandals there beheaded a topiary sculpture of Starr earlier this year " he was the only one of the four Beatles whose likeness was desecrated."

People are so stupid. To behead a statue because he said he didn't miss his city??? How asinine. People! Why do they care?
mismi

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:30 am
@Mame,
I guess in the end it is better to let them know so they do not waste their time. After that many years of writing fans back I think I would be over it as well. I just thought it was funny he made the announcement. To be honest - I could never understand why anyone would write fan mail anyway - because I was pretty darn sure most celebrities never read all the letters. How could they?

I think Ringo is great - I certainly don't blame him. I just wonder what his radical followers think of this?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
Ringo's message
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:34 am
I don't think Ringo ever took himself seriously.

The late comedian Bill Hicks remarked, "The Beatles were so stoned on drugs that they even let Ringo sing a few songs."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:13 am
was this Ringo Starr fella famous?
Alehouse

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:58 pm
@farmerman,
WHO IS RINGO STARR ??Confused????

I asked a few kids in Liverpool,

"Never heard of him" They all said.

Alehouse
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
paul McC will straighten him out...
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
He looks damn good for 68....so he's retiring.... we all do eventually .... and he's not even retiring... he is directing his understanably waning energies to the things most important to him... he's prioritizing....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:49 pm
@mismi,
I'm surprised he still gets fan mail. Truth be told, I didn't realize he was still alive.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 06:13 pm
I always wonder at those who seem to have so little appreciation for those who made them rich and famous, however. In time the mail would have trickled down to nothing anyway, but I bet Ringo has a staffer or two who could have scanned the incoming mail and responded, as appropriate, with the standard form letter. I can't believe he is overwhelmed with fan mail at this stage of his career. In his twilight years, I would think it would even be pleasant to receive a letter from an old fan who still remembers him fondly.

But oh well.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:03 pm
He never stopped touring, he's taking the All Starr Band on their 10th Nth American tour. These run to about 30+ concerts a tour.... a rock'n'roller through and through.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 07:11 pm
http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/ringo.jpg
..and let's not forget his brief tenure as Pope Ringo I.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 07:18 pm
http://www.woodstick2007.com/images/OriginalBeatles.jpg
Hang on!!! Who's mucking wiv Ringo's skins!!!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:53 am
@mismi,
He's done enough for the world. Answering so much mail must be pretty burdensome. I have no problem with his statement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:59 am
I don't answer fan mail. Why should he?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:26 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I'm surprised he still gets fan mail. Truth be told, I didn't realize he was still alive.

Maybe this is reversed psychology he's using now in order to be noticed
again.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@CalamityJane,
I too, no longer accept fan mail.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:35 am
@dyslexia,
I thought you're already on your way to San Diego with your camper, dys?
0 Replies