Should There Be a Draft? Should Women Register For It?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:08 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for women being drafted - no. Women are equal to men in entitlement. They not identical to men. It's ludicrous to treat men and women as though there were no differences between them, just because they are entitled to the same rights. Men should try to protect women, rather than putting them in mortal danger.

As I pointed out the landscape of warfare has changed dramatically as we have continued to modernize. It's not all bullets and grenades that we fight our enemies with.

T
K
O

And therefore, what?

Therefore, why not draft them? Your attitude is not one of equality. The differences between men and women do not remove the ladies' obligation to serve their country in the same fashion as a man would.

Cycloptichorn

Alright, I'd like to explore this idea further of abandoning certain traditional relationships between men and women. You're on a large ship, far from help, when it has an accident and begins to sink. The captain orders women and children to be placed in the limited number of lifeboats. If this happens to you at some point in the future, will you go and argue with him that you and the other men deserve equal consideration?

No, because you are confusing consideration with obligation. They are two different things.

I will say that female officers of the ship have every obligation to make sure that the passengers get off first; that's their duty. In that fashion, both women and men owe a duty to our nation, and the differences in physiology do not change this duty. Therefore, women should be eligible for the draft if men are.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:10 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:

Besides, sinking ship scenarios don't make valid points about women serving in the military or being drafted. Especially when they require a scenario in which the Navy for whatever reason is not equipped with enough lifeboats? Rubbish.

Brandon is quite fond of these 'extreme' scenarios; wait a little longer and the sinking ship will have a ticking bomb on it, and you'll be forced to torture someone to get the women and children off. Yaknow, b/c these scenarios are realistic and all.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I would not draft women to serve alongside men. I heard a report on the radio describing the extremely high incidences of rape and how their complaints get ignored. Volunteers, perhaps.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:07 pm
Chicks r not for (military) fighting.
Its unnatural (except, of course, as direct self defense,
like against the Indians in the 1800s).

David
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I would not draft women to serve alongside men. I heard a report on the radio describing the extremely high incidences of rape and how their complaints get ignored. Volunteers, perhaps.

Make 'em into all-female units.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
All moot to me. I don't favor any sort of draft.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don 't ofen agree with Ed,
but: SO STIPULATED.

David
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for women being drafted - no. Women are equal to men in entitlement. They not identical to men. It's ludicrous to treat men and women as though there were no differences between them, just because they are entitled to the same rights. Men should try to protect women, rather than putting them in mortal danger.

As I pointed out the landscape of warfare has changed dramatically as we have continued to modernize. It's not all bullets and grenades that we fight our enemies with.

T
K
O

And therefore, what?

Therefore, why not draft them? Your attitude is not one of equality. The differences between men and women do not remove the ladies' obligation to serve their country in the same fashion as a man would.

Cycloptichorn

Alright, I'd like to explore this idea further of abandoning certain traditional relationships between men and women. You're on a large ship, far from help, when it has an accident and begins to sink. The captain orders women and children to be placed in the limited number of lifeboats. If this happens to you at some point in the future, will you go and argue with him that you and the other men deserve equal consideration?

No, because you are confusing consideration with obligation. They are two different things.

I will say that female officers of the ship have every obligation to make sure that the passengers get off first; that's their duty. In that fashion, both women and men owe a duty to our nation, and the differences in physiology do not change this duty. Therefore, women should be eligible for the draft if men are.

Cycloptichorn

I'm not sure I got an answer. I will defer the question of female crew members, because I was really talking about female passengers. Based on your comments, it would seem as though you should object to the singling out of women as the ones to get the seats in the lifeboats in my hypothetical. According to your theory of the world, don't the female passengers have an obligation to let the male passengers have an equal chance at a seat in a lifeboat? If you wouldn't go to the captain and protest when your life was at stake, and given your apparent philosophy, why not? What did you mean when you referred to a consideration? I don't think I got a clear answer to my relatively direct question.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Besides, sinking ship scenarios don't make valid points about women serving in the military or being drafted. Especially when they require a scenario in which the Navy for whatever reason is not equipped with enough lifeboats? Rubbish.

Brandon is quite fond of these 'extreme' scenarios; wait a little longer and the sinking ship will have a ticking bomb on it, and you'll be forced to torture someone to get the women and children off. Yaknow, b/c these scenarios are realistic and all.

Cycloptichorn

The scenario seems directly pertinent to the objection you raised to my initial post.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
Cyclo makes a valid point. You can't just assume there are no female crew members helping to get people off the ship. He has a very valid point about consideration and obligation. I think the role changes when you become a service person.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't think we should be drafting, but if we do it should apply to both men and women. Further I don't think we should be having wars without declaring war. "War" has become and acceptable term for our "police actions" and I think the day that comes that we may have a real war such as WW2, we may find ourselves mentally unprepared to handle the load because we will have non-dimensionalized the term over decades of propaganda.

A draft? Sure, if war is truly here, and for both sexes.

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:59 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

The scenario seems directly pertinent to the objection you raised to my initial post.

It isn't. It posits a completely different situation than a question of Obligation to serve our nation.

Look at it this way:

IF you accept that people have an obligation to serve their nation in troubled times - which you must accept if you accept the draft in the first place - THEN there is no difference between men and women's obligation. The differences of gender do not make a substantive difference when it comes to questions of duty. And why would they? The fact that they lack a penis does not mean that they cannot fire a gun or tend to a wound. The fact that women tend to be less physically strong does not mean they cannot pilot a helicopter or plan an assault.

On a sinking ship, tradition puts 'women and children first' not out of Obligation to do so - you owe these people nothing - but Consideration. Tradition also looks at women as weak and unable to fend for themselves in any meaningful fashion. I do not believe this is true, though I do believe the repetition of attitudes such as yours reinforces some of the negative stereotypes about women in our society.

Women serve in our armed forces with honor and valor; there is no reason they cannot be treated equally with men in this fashion. Feminism is about equality, supposedly; the early feminists of the 60's knew that with added privilege (expectation of equality in society) comes added responsibility (expectation of equality in everything).

Let me ask you, do you believe women to be weak, or second-class citizens? No? Then they share the responsibilities that everyone else has in our society. There's really no other way to look at it.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Women are prone to being mothers. A draft should never come between a mother and her children.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Women are prone to being mothers. A draft should never come between a mother and her children.

It already does, just in the opposite fashion.

Also, I would add: there is little sympathy for separating fathers from their kids. Logically there is no difference; either you should be okay with both or neither.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So you believe. Children deprived of a mother at certain stages in life suffer long range consequences.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

So you believe. Children deprived of a mother at certain stages in life suffer long range consequences.

Children deprived of a father at certain stages in life suffer long range consequences as well. There is no logical difference between the two in terms of child-rearing.

I understand that your argument is born of tradition, but it doesn't reflect equality.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:53 pm
Plenty of sons have been separated from their mother due to the drafts of the past... the son's draft that is.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

It isn't. It posits a completely different situation than a question of Obligation to serve our nation.

Look at it this way:

IF you accept that people have an obligation to serve their nation in troubled times - which you must accept if you accept the draft in the first place - THEN there is no difference between men and women's obligation. The differences of gender do not make a substantive difference when it comes to questions of duty. And why would they? The fact that they lack a penis does not mean that they cannot fire a gun or tend to a wound. The fact that women tend to be less physically strong does not mean they cannot pilot a helicopter or plan an assault.

On a sinking ship, tradition puts 'women and children first' not out of Obligation to do so - you owe these people nothing - but Consideration. Tradition also looks at women as weak and unable to fend for themselves in any meaningful fashion. I do not believe this is true, though I do believe the repetition of attitudes such as yours reinforces some of the negative stereotypes about women in our society.

Women serve in our armed forces with honor and valor; there is no reason they cannot be treated equally with men in this fashion. Feminism is about equality, supposedly; the early feminists of the 60's knew that with added privilege (expectation of equality in society) comes added responsibility (expectation of equality in everything).

Let me ask you, do you believe women to be weak, or second-class citizens? No? Then they share the responsibilities that everyone else has in our society. There's really no other way to look at it.

Cycloptichorn

My question remains unanswered. In that situation, would you go to the captain or some other officer and complain that men ought to be seated too? Please just answer. I can hardly think of a more important example of the principle, since your life might depend on it. I favor a lifestyle in which men view themselves as protectors of women, when it comes to physical safety. You apparently don't. Okay, so what would you personally do in that situation, if it were announced that only or primarily women and children would be seated in an inadequate number of lifeboats?
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@Diest TKO,
You haven't answered the question I posed to you. Why? It's a clear enough question. Let's ignore the question of female crew for the moment, since the principle I am trying to explore is illustrated most simply in the matter of male vs female passengers. If put in such a situation, will you go to the captain or another officer and complain that the men must be seated equally with the women and children? Just answer please.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

My question remains unanswered. In that situation, would you go to the captain or some other officer and complain that men ought to be seated too? Please just answer. I can hardly think of a more important example of the principle, since your life might depend on it. I favor a lifestyle in which men view themselves as protectors of women, when it comes to physical safetly. You apparently don't. Okay, so what would you personally do in that situation, if it were announced that only or primarily women and children would be seated in an inadequate number of lifeboats?

No, I don't view men as protectors of women. That's a condescending attitude and one that posits that women can't protect themselves. I know a few women who would knock your block off for suggesting that, Brandon.

Why should we focus on your bullshit question? It has nothing to do with the actual topic, for it's a hypothetical situation which is not related to the question of whether or not you think women should be in the draft.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

My question remains unanswered. In that situation, would you go to the captain or some other officer and complain that men ought to be seated too? Please just answer. I can hardly think of a more important example of the principle, since your life might depend on it. I favor a lifestyle in which men view themselves as protectors of women, when it comes to physical safetly. You apparently don't. Okay, so what would you personally do in that situation, if it were announced that only or primarily women and children would be seated in an inadequate number of lifeboats?

No, I don't view men as protectors of women. That's a condescending attitude and one that posits that women can't protect themselves. I know a few women who would knock your block off for suggesting that, Brandon.

Why should we focus on your bullshit question? It has nothing to do with the actual topic, for it's a hypothetical situation which is not related to the question of whether or not you think women should be in the draft.

Cycloptichorn

Since you are reluctant to tell us how your opinions would influence your actions in a hypothetical situation in which it mattered, I'll answer for you. If you were on a lifeboat with an inadequate number of lifeboats, and it was announced that they would seat women and children first, you would either go and argue that you and the other men deserve an equal chance, or else you would wish to do so, but be cowed at the prospect looking like a wimp in public. I infer this from your stated position and your decision not to answer. Feel free to tell me if my conclusion is inaccurate.