Nightclubs are hell. What's cool or fun about a thumping, sweaty dungeon full of posing idiots?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
they don't...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:24 pm
I never went to a nite club at my own instance (except once).

I started going, dragged along by others typically
at the end of a day of working
in a political campaign when I was around 13.

The bartenders almost pried my jaws apart
to get the beer down; never cared much for beer; don 't like the taste.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:47 am
@Foxfyre,
theres only 1 club i go to. strip club.

lol just kidding tao, is really nice. way expensive tho most beautiful girls in las vegas gather there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Lots of reasons.

I always enjoy exercise in and of itself -- it's fun, during and after. Dancing is an especially fun form of exercise, partly because it's endlessly customizable.

I took dance classes for a long time and just appreciated the creativity of dancing. I wasn't the kind to shift from one foot to another for a couple of hours -- I danced. Usually switched things up every four bars or so. With reggae especially (circa late 80's mind you) I'd do a bunch of complicated stuff.

Camaraderie (as separate from flirting) -- getting a group to do the same dance step, laughing if you tried a new variation that looked stupid, admiring someone else's skills, etc.

Flirting -- self explanatory. It's a great way to flirt. It's always been an optional part of the whole thing for me though -- I was dancing before I was interested in flirting (when I was 14 I was there for music, period) and I was dancing after I was in a serious relationship (and not looking).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:35 am
@sozobe,
I see; well, if u enjoy it,
that 's justification, in and of itself.

David
eoe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 11:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's what it's all about, isn't it? Why would you go it if you didn't enjoy it? Confused
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 11:46 am
@eoe,
Quote:
Why would you go it if you didn't enjoy it?

I was kinda dragged along,
but I wanted to exchange some information
with some of the other people who went there.
existential potential

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 01:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I've been to clubs, but only to see live music. I have never, and hope will never go to a nite club, like the ones that play RnB and are full of really boring loud drunks. I think the only reason I may go to such a place is simply to confirm my suspicions, that clubs are crap.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 02:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I have an inner need to move when I hear music. Any kind of music. I think it is a personality thing David. You seem to be pretty straight laced to me - so maybe you just don't have that need. I can't imagine never dancing again though. There is an innate joy when I hear music that seems to trigger the dance response - and getting out in a group of folks who are having fun dancing as well is just icing on the cake! There is a feeling of camaraderie on the dance floor when there is a song everybody loves...I don't know. It's just fun.

Quote:
Camaraderie (as separate from flirting) -- getting a group to do the same dance step, laughing if you tried a new variation that looked stupid, admiring someone else's skills, etc.

Flirting -- self explanatory. It's a great way to flirt. It's always been an optional part of the whole thing for me though -- I was dancing before I was interested in flirting (when I was 14 I was there for music, period) and I was dancing after I was in a serious relationship (and not looking).
mismi

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 02:39 pm
@mismi,
That's what I meant Soz - what I pulled from your post...perfect!
0 Replies

hlynnt

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:34 pm
A lot of people seriously just love to dance and enjoy being crowded. I'm not one of them. Actually I'm mildly claustrophobic and having a hundred people bumping into me, some boyfriend grinding on me in a small enclosed space with no windows and no fresh air is extremely stressful. I tried to enjoy it, or at least pretend that I did just to make him happy. Never again. I'm almost old enough to use the "I'm too old excuse" but I think that honesty might be better.
panzade

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:00 am
@hlynnt,
welcome to a2k hl

I work in nightclubs and the most pathetic sight is the "Weenie" trying to smile while spasmodically lurching around on the dance floor in the hopes of getting laid later on.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:50 am
@panzade,

I was thinking something like that.
I 'd feel like a fool jumping around, waving arms n legs, etc.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 07:00 am
@hlynnt,
It doesn't make you a bad person if you don't care for clubs. Why the need for an excuse?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:15 am
@eoe,

peer pressure, maybe...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:30 pm
@panzade,

I guess it works, tho.

I remember in the 1990s, I attended a summer resort
in upstate NY. Nextdoor neighbors arrived and introduced themselves.
We were all fairly new to the place; it was their first time there.
That evening, there was a dance. I am not a dancer,
but I was listening to the music n maybe chatting.
The nice looking girl from next door tried to convince me to dance with her.
I knew nothing of dancing n did not wish to get into a fight with her guy.
She went on to successfully convince my friend Steve to dance.
The next day he told me that he had been very successful with her that nite.

David
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Boy I missed out. I love to dance, but nobody ever got 'lucky' with me after a dance except my husband and we were married at the time.

I must not have been doing it right. I always figured the purpose of dancing was dancing. Smile
Sglass

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
I've only been to two real nightclubs in my life.

One was the Copacabana in NYC where I sat about ten feet from where Nat King Cole was playing the piano and singing. Joe Lewis and a lovely friend were sitting at the next table. I got his autograph.

The other was the Fountenblue in Miami and had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Diana Washington's "Love for Sale". She was wearing a champaign colored very fitted strapless gown with a fishtail effect on the bottom. She was absolutely gorgeous.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Boy I missed out. I love to dance, but nobody ever got 'lucky' with me
after a dance except my husband and we were married at the time.

I must not have been doing it right.

I always figured the purpose of dancing was dancing. Smile
I was never able to figure out what its purpose was.
It seemed to me an exercise in futility.

I remember the (unsuccessful) efforts of my teacher in hi school
to convince me to attend the prom (which was described as a dance).
It struck me as entirely illogical; harmless but pointless.
When I do something, I like it to be for a good reason;
without that, Y bother ??

David
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I suppose if somebody does not enjoy it then indeed, why bother? But I think God gave humans a capacity for abstract appreciation for all sorts of things in various degrees of enjoyment of color, a great view, a magnificent cloud formation, crashing waves, a clear night when the Milky Way looks like whipped cream in the sky. And music. Many of these things can evoke emotion, sensual pleasure, and other physical response. And for at least some of us, certain music almost forces us to move to it. To dance. I wouldn't pretend to understand why the pleasure of that is sometimes enhanced by two people moving in unison, feeling the same beat in the same way, and trusting each other and themselves in an almost mystical way. Of course I grew up when people still touched each other when dancing. It can be sexual but does not have to be to produce a special pleasure.

Dancing can be stupid. But it can be really great too.

(Steps off soapbox)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:31:57