Warning - Non-Political Topic

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
@shewolfnm,
Wanna do some here?

This weekend's plans -- go into town and visit our friends at the Post Office to (eek) roll over my 401(k) (to send the form registered mail, not to do any banking there) and mail clothes to a friend, then walk to the Greek place for lunch, then food shopping. Afterwards, frisbee in the park, all before the game starts.

Tomorrow is less structured. Depends on how the weather is -- it looks clear and dry. I'm hoping to be able to sit outside and write if the mood strikes me or at least read the newspapers. Plus somewhere in there we'll call both sets o' parents.
sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:28 am
@jespah,
We're probably going to have a relatively boring, get-stuff-done weekend. Yardwork, laundry, that sort of thing.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 03:34 pm
@Mame,
24 hours of work
4 hours of party in there somewhere

T
K
O
ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:31 pm
@Diest TKO,
hey Canajuns

http://dingo.care2.com/photos/2/2065a.gif
Reyn

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Who can afford turkey anymore? The prices seem pretty steep.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:06 pm
I have some questions for the gardeners out there:

1. I have planted potatoes for several years and had no problems, not even with bugs. This year, I planted three cardboard boxes with Gemsons, a new potato. The stalks are quite high, making me a little nervous that I won't get any potatoes. Reading online, it says they can be anywhere between 22 and 45". I think mine are in the 30-something" range. I think I planted around June 7th, and their website says some varieties of Gemson are harvestable between 15 and 22 weeks. I have been hilling them except for the last 2-3 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with them? I don't want to disturb the boxes by looking for tubers if they're not that early variety. Also, my neighbour said if there aren't any flowers, there won't be any potatoes, but none of my potatoes have ever flowered, so I'm not sure what to think about that.

2. My beefsteak tomato is about 4.5' high. It has 10 tomatoes and about another dozen flowers. I haven't grown tomatoes in years, so I forget what I had learned. But I saw on a youtube site to put a can of sardines below 2-3" of dirt before you plant your tomato and maybe this is why it's so huge. I've also been cutting off the suckers when they showed up. Is it normal for some flowers to hang on so much later?

3. My neighbour is growing a zucchini plant and they are growing in a weird way. They're normal as they grow out, but the end near the stem is withered, conical and yellow. Also, powdery-ish when you cut it. Does anyone know what causes that and how to stop it?

Thanks in advance.

Spent the weekend at garage/estate/yard sales and making chicken curry with yogurt tonight. It's 20-bloody-6 today and I'm sitting in front of a fan. Our old doggie had some Vietnamese chicken for lunch and several field trips over the week end. Amazing he's still going strong at his age.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:14 pm
@Mame,
I built a havy duty table for watrcolor painting, an started a fall garden of peas and also radishs. I plan to put in some translants pachysandra an coupl paw paws down by th crick
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:16 pm
@Mame,
opened this up and saw Wandeljw' name and was immediately saddened. He was a friend a friend
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:26 pm
@farmerman,
Ive always planted the russet potatos and have ha som years of poor crops. Our lot in Delware is in potato country and at the end of harvest time i i take my "golf cart" nd pick up dropped taters, all free. The farmer gave us permission, and its nar the mansion site of John Dickinson "The Penman of the Revolution". hen we go and scavange taters Ill take my mtal etector an hunt fo buried coins and artifacts. ev harvested hundreds of leni lenapi projctile points an about 20 celts or hammer head (stone) m tomato grower that e at fresh, cook freh, preerve by drying nd freezing ( do make Chow Chow with candy tomatoes.

I quit cucerbit about 29 yars ago. I will attempt a type of gourd for carving but no pie material. hen I id plant squash or long ncks ,I planted a havy os of radish to keep thhe worms away
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:29 pm
@farmerman,
I saw his name, too... did he die?
Mame

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
What zone are you in? I've never thought of growing a winter crop because it can get so cold here. We are in Zone 5. I'll have to google what I can do. My peas finally started flowering and I have some peas now. That's so weird because they're a cold weather crop, but the birds were pecking at them so much I had to put a cover over them (large clear quilt bag) until they matured a little more.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:34 pm
@Mame,
wandel died maybe 10 years ago, bout th same time as lightwizard , Spendius and our " OM-SigMensa Dave"
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:35 pm
@Mame,
Im in the new 7.5 e can grow lavndar, figs, nd crepe myrtlem no. e get snow but not enought to do ral damage
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:36 pm
@Mame,
Im in the new 7.5 zone. we can grow lavendar, figs, nd crepe myrtle no. we get snow but not enought to do ral damage
Mame

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
Aw... that's so sad to hear. I liked them all. So Annie was still just a kid when her dad died. So many have gone.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 06:59 pm
@farmerman,
I was just reading about gardening in my area and we're now in a 4 zone. But with all the climate change, who knows how that will change. I've gardened on the SW coast of BC for 20+ years and no problems, other than slugs and tons of bugs, but here, in the SW MT zone, I've lost dahlias, peonies, clematis, roses, lavenders, hostas, coleus, and the list goes on. Very dispiriting. This year, for flowers, I'm doing more my natural area plants. We'll see what survives!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2022 09:51 pm
(check)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:30:37