Do you double speak?

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:37 pm
Sometimes I just get so tired of dealing with particular people.

In this case it's my companies in house recruiters.

It is so annoying to be sent profiles of potential employees festooned from beginning to end with a bunch of gobbledeegook double speak that most of the time says nothing.

In a prior time, the recruiters would send profiles directly to the final hiring authority, who were assuming the recruiters where actually doing something other than pushing files along....people were getting hired, and 45% of them were gone within the year.

Now, the Queen Bitch (me) gets the info, I do my thing culling out the riff raff and depending on the level of the position, pass along 50% to 25% for a group interview, before they ever even see the final hiring autority.

Now, 30% to 20% of the intial number end up getting hired, and so far, in almost a year, we've only lost 6%.

thank you....thank you very much.

Anyway....in a couple of weeks my recruiters are going to be coming down so, per their boss, they will get an in person view of what the hell really goes on down here in the trenches, and what kind of person works out best.

The emails back and forth have started, I told the R's I'd be touring them around, and what did they specifically hope to accomplish and learn....

I got back a bunch of BS PC crap about "furthering our endeavors", "tools and strategies" "screening and communication standards"

You know what I want to see? It's not rocket science. I want to see people that haven't had 5 jobs in 2 years, that write a cover letter in proper English, that are in the field this industry is involved in, and that don't have a shitty attitude and wants to work. 90% of the time I can figure out in the first 3 minutes of talking to someone if they have what it takes. It's attitude.

How's that for "screening and commuication standards"?

Anyway...I'm tired today....I sent back an email asking them as professionally as I could to just say as frankly as they can what they want.

You want to know a big problem? These R's can see I'm doing a much better job than they are, and feel threated....The more threatened they feel, the more they become incomprehensible to the normal human being.

BTW, I really love screening people, believe it or not, I can really get people to warm up to me and tell me what's really going on. I have a high sensitivity to red flags, and can ferret out the problems without the person realizing they are screwing the pooch. I can also smell integrity, and get a full view of a person with that too.

All without needing a dictionary to complete a sentence.

Why does it have to be so hard for some people just to talk?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,853 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:45 pm
@chai2,
I am usually careful to elucidate precisely that which is meant to be communicated within the prevailing cultural paradigm unless such time that a paradigm shift must occur, in which case I carefully explore the most effective way to eschew obfuscation.
George

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:02 pm
This is the first paragraph of a memo about a reorganization in Finance.

Quote:
As The Widget Factory evolves to one business unit with several value streams, our Finance organization intends to leverage best practices and gain efficiencies by realigning to be consistent with this new strategy.

The only thing I changed was "The Widget Factory."
Every thing else is just as written.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:30 pm
@chai2,
chai, I was involved with personnel recruitment, and learned some simple things like "motivation, eye-contact when talking, and direct answers." Those are only the basics, but I also taught management personnel about interviewing and job performance reviews; they are all tied together - in my book.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:38 pm
@sozobe,
soz sez....I am usually careful to elucidate precisely that which is meant to be communicated within the prevailing cultural paradigm unless such time that a paradigm shift must occur, in which case I carefully explore the most effective way to eschew obfuscation.

OMG! You just so totally get it soz! That's for making that so clear for me.
roger

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:22 pm
@chai2,
She forgot the one about extirpating the circumlocution.
0 Replies