Hold Lehman Brothers Board of Directors accountable

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:17 am
Watching Fuld being questioned this morning, I thought, granted he is an a$$ and caused this company to fail, but what about the Board of Directors? I have not heard one word about holding them responsible. My understanding is the Board of Directors is legally responsible to govern a corporation. They elect the chief executive and review and evaluate this person’s performance " they can fire this person as well. The Board is typically responsible to provide fiscal accountability, approve budgets, etc. so I would assume they approved Fuld’s compensation and must have thought his performance was pretty good. Why isn’t anyone hauling their a$$es in?

What experiences I have had with Board of Directors is when an opening occurs, potential members are suggested by current members " usually golfing buddies. Often times (in my opinion), these individuals are not qualified for the position. I know of one Board member who asked what an asset was during a meeting. The paralegal taking the minutes was told not to put that question in the Board’s minutes. There are some qualifications though " to be a disinterested member, you need to already earn a huge salary as the fees you receive for being on the board cannot be your primary income (and believe me they make a bundle on these fees " they also get all sorts of things expensed " I’ve seen the expense reports first hand and they expense everything even cans of soda. Often times they are real a$$holes too depending every little thing. One board member had the paralegal running out to get diet caffeine free coke as they only had on hand diet coke, caffeine free coke, but not the exact combination he wanted.

To contact the Lehman Board see below:
http://www.lehmanbrothers.com/shareholder/corpgov/contact_board.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,061 • Replies: 2
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:50 am
@Linkat,
Linkat, Boards work at the pleasure of the CEO in the majority of times. Most boards fail their fiduciary responsibilities as can be seen from the bank and finance company failures. However, if anybody takes the time, they can also sue the board of directors.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:28 pm
@Linkat,
I was thinking the same thing today -- how many times I've known people who got placed on a board because they knew someone, and how many of those people did almost nothing but show up for two meetings a year and got some serious dough for that. Some of these were reciprocal too. I put you on my board, you put me on yours, and we both get paid to do not much of anything.

I'm reminded of a story:
Quote:
But when we were putting the board together, somebody [Fred Malek] came to me and said, look there is a guy who would like to be on the board. He's kind of down on his luck a bit. Needs a job. Needs a board position. Needs some board positions. Could you put him on the board? Pay him a salary and he'll be a good board member and be a loyal vote for the management and so forth.

I said well we're not usually in that business. But okay, let me meet the guy. I met the guy. I said I don't think he adds that much value. We'll put him on the board because - you know - we'll do a favor for this guy; he's done a favor for us.

We put him on the board and [he] spent three years. Came to all the meetings. Told a lot of jokes. Not that many clean ones. And after a while I kind of said to him, after about three years - you know, I'm not sure this is really for you. Maybe you should do something else. Because I don't think you're adding that much value to the board. You don't know that much about the company.

He said, well I think I'm getting out of this business anyway. And I don't really like it that much. So I'm probably going to resign from the board.

http://prorev.com/bushcarlyle.htm
0 Replies