chai2

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:25 am
I got a letter a couple of days ago from someone I know. I'm still shaking my head over it, although I know a lot of people probably would have done the same thing.

Scenerio:
Female, mid-forties, lives with teen age daugthter. Middle of night they hear thir Chow dog (you know, the one bred for centuries to be a guard dog?) barking outdoors.

Dog will not be quieted after several attempts, so female goes downstairs to investigate.

She turns off their security alarm system, and steps outside.

She's grabbed at gunpoint, forced back in the house, along with 2 other intruders.

Long story short, both women manage to get out of house will invaders seach for money, no one was raped (at least so she says), and no one hurt.

Fortunately, she lives to be able to tell me about the experience.

Pop quiz.....What did we all learn from this boys and girls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,231 • Replies: 18
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:32 am
@chai2,
Ah, we should all have guns so we can blast those bastards into hell! Is that the answer? Or...call the police when you suspect something is happening?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:33 am
@chai2,
Trust your dog?
chai2

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:42 am
@boomerang,
Bingo boomer.....

Nick, you have to stay after class for the rest of the year.

This has nothing to do with blasting away someone breaking into your house.

You have your dog barking in the middle of the night.
Your dog happens to be a breed that was bred for protection.

You have an alarm system in your house (btw, a very good one)

You ignore guard dog, you turn off the system that would have alerted the alarm company if people were trying to break in.

Instead, you literally open the front door to them and step into their hands.

I'm going to be calling this person later to find out what was going through her mind.
boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:50 am
@chai2,
We just had a trust the dog moment.

We've been having some work done in our backyard. One night about 9:30 the dog went apeshit. Mr. B started yelling for the dog to shut up and I said "Uh-uh. Something's up." Sure enough the workers had come back by to finish something up that had to be done within a certain time frame.

Always trust the dog.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:56 am
@chai2,
Call police.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:30 am
@chai2,
Wow.
To me, just as it is to everyone else, it was pretty simple.

The dog is acting out of character. Something you got the dog to do anyway.
I have 2 cats. and I notice THEM when something is wrong as well. They can hear things that I could never pick up.
One night, both cats were staring at my front door, cowering from it every couple of seconds like they were expecting something to happen. I heard NOTHING. So I sat there and watched them.
After a few minutes they went back to being themselves so I peeked out my front window.
Wouldn't you know.. One of my plants were missing. Someone snuck up the stairs and took it. And they heard them.

It happened again about a week after that. They both, staring at the door, cowering every couple of seconds.. and a few minutes later I peek outside.. Storage door WIDE OPEN.

Animals are the best alarm sometimes.
NickFun

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:21 pm
@shewolfnm,
My cat might perk his ears but then go back to sleep while thinking "it's just someone stealing the garden tools". Rotten cat.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:24 pm
@NickFun,
sounds like you have a lame pussy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:31 pm
My dog looks at first glance to be your typical Lab. Then you notice the short tail and some Pit Bull features in the face. One might think she would at least bark when someone strange approaches. One night one of the teenage boys from the neighborhood hopped my fence and rapped on the door with something hard, like a rock or metal object. I surmise it was the boy who tried to prise the lock off of my back door and found himself arrested, about five years ago. He still yells obscenities when he and his friends drive by. About four times, in rapid succession. By the time I got to the door, he was gone. Punky the Turd slept through it all.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:12 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Bingo boomer.....

What I want to know is, can you say the above 5 times fast?

Huh? Well can ya?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:51 am
Called last night, got an update

The detectives assigned to the case think these guys targeted the wrong house.

They think they really wanted the guy next door or 2 places down, as there have been suspections with him in the past.

They even used video tapes this neighbor has (he has surveilance cameras all over) to catch these guys...there were a total of 5 of them, and they've caught 2.

The woman and teen are both going to be going for counseling....PTSD.
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 08:15 am
@chai2,
my dogs get really loud when some one is outside in their yard so if someone tryed to come in my house they would go crazy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:25 am
@chai2,
You keep the damn dog in the house! How else is he supposed to protect you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Call police.

That is step 4. Step 1 is to turn on lights so they know people are awake/waking up. Step 2 is to lock & load. Step 3 is to find a defensible position.

Make a mistake in this situation and you're dead meat. They're very, very lucky to be alive.
mason738

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@cjhsa,
I think a good watchdog serves best. There are no guns to discharge accidentally to hurt someone and a well trained German Shepherd is the best guard dogs. Those German Shepard Dogs are really fierce and will defend their turf against any intruder
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:16 pm
@cjhsa,
You know, in this case I completely agree with you about them being very very lucky to be alive.

These guys made the dumb mistake of going to the wrong house, but in this case, where they were supposed to go was a very big deal.

Not too far from this scene the cops found a shitload of automatic weapons dumped, along with some other stuff I'm not going to get into.

The guy who the cops suspect was the intended victim has been really cooperative with them, supplying the video tapes and audio, etc.....the detective told my friend that the guy has surveilence equipment better than what they have.

0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:18 am
@chai2,
I have a mini schnauzer who will bark at anything. It's useful sometimes but he takes it a little too far most of the time. I can see how she could have made the mistake since it was in the middle of the night. My question would be with this is how did she attempt to quiet the dog before but not notice the intruders. The dog would have most likely been barking in their direction so you would think she would look that way...

I also liked your post on the 3rd page of "How can I make her cry?"......... ^_^
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:39 am
@Chights47,
very clever chigie. Razz
0 Replies