Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:23 pm
we have lived here for 5 years and there has always been this stray cat wandering the neighborhood especially in the early mornings. a couple of weeks ago I was sitting in the garage and this cat peered in the garage door and I noticed how obscenely skinny this cat was so I started putting cat food on the garage floor (don't tell Lady Diane) and tonight I was sitting in the garage and the cat came within about 10 feet of my chair. I'm not in interetested in making friends with this cat but I can't stand to see a hungry animal.

Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:24 pm
@dyslexia,
Feed a cat, you have a friend, no matter how distant, my friend...

(I won't tell)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:26 pm
men always have a soft spot for skinny wild.................
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:36 pm
@dyslexia,
Hehehe....you're on your way to having two cats.

Good on you.

I can't stand it either.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:48 pm
That's how School Cat and I started out..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 09:41 pm
@dyslexia,
When I lived on Hardin Store Road, in Decker Prairie, idiots threw cats out of cars out front two to three times per week. I had cats everywhere. One cat in particular came in the garage and meowed at me. She was the most beautiful calico I have ever seen. She was so gentle and nice, I took her along when we moved to Tomball. The man next door called me after the move to say accusingly: "You left your cats here." "No, sir. I didn't." He slammed the phone down and we have not spoken since.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:21 pm
I have been feeding stray cat about every 3 days now, I don't want to make friends but I don't like to see a hungry animal. today I put out some cat kiibble and said cat cat within about 6 ft of me just watching my every move. It's a difficult situation for me.
Debra Law

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
@dyslexia,
When I was a child, I fed stray cats and my mom beat my behind with a wooden paddle.

I never learned my lesson.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:35 pm
@dyslexia,
That cat is a friend no matter what your intentions were, you silly man.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:19 am
@littlek,
so kris, tend to trust you, roger,deb, what would you do?
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm sorry, Dys...but I think you have a cat. Perhaps you have an outside cat?

I suspect it needs kibble and water every day.....and the relationship will go whither it will. I'd be friendly but not importunate.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:55 pm
@dyslexia,
Agree with Deb. And, if you can catch it, you may want to consider bringing it to the vet to get spayed/neutered (if it isn't already).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:04 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes, it is a difficult situation. I understand.
Feral cats cause so much harm to birds & wild animals here ... you certainly wouldn't want to encourage them. BUT, like you, I can't stand the sight of a suffering animal, which is in this predicament through no fault of its own. Very distressing. I suspect, like you, I would weaken & feed it ... & probably end up with another cat.
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:06 pm
@msolga,
..... & it won't be too long before Diane comes across this thread, ya know! Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:08 pm
Some shelter organizations have programs to spay or neuter feral and semi-feral cats for a nominal fee (I think ours is 26 bucks). Some will lend out a humane live trap if you need it to catch the cat.

These might be good people to get in touch with: http://www.albcat.com/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:17 pm
@dyslexia,
Never give a stray cat a name. You'll either adopt it or get your heart broken.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:16 am
@roger,
I now have a leg rubbing, lap nesting, loud purring and as Roger says (a heart-breaking) garage cat. Lady Diane is ok with this.
dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:30 am
@dyslexia,
Heart-breaking cos you want to let it in?

You will.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:12 am
Well..I was never a cat person and now have three. Man proposes God disposes. (Apologies to all atheists, agnostics...everyone but dys. I don't like dys. Never did)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:22 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

... I'm not in interetested in making friends with this cat but I can't stand to see a hungry animal.

Suuuuure. Just keep telling yourself that.