Why do Americans Love Ranch Dressing?

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 05:40 pm
Ketchup -- only for matzoh brei. Otherwise I'm not a fan of either. This means I'm eating kosher for Passover ketchup, e. g. no corn syrup in it. Ketchup is a salt issue for me, but salsa usually isn't. I definitely prefer salsa but I'd rather make my own.

Ranch dressing is a fairly recent innovation. I don't recall it being around before 1980. When it came out it was a novelty. Now, I pretty much despise anything but some sort of vinaigrette. Lots of variants available but the dairy stuff just seems chalky and gross.

BBQ sauce isn't really on my radar because of what I eat but I do marinate, particularly fish, then grill it. Very easy and flavorful. Chicken is usually cooked with no seasonings at all (so that it can be used in a lot of different dishes) unless it's a whole one being roasted. Then it's some sort of fat plus an aromatic plus salt. Often this means margarine on top so that it gets a browning and garlic cloves and onions stuffed into the cavity but sage or other herbs are nice, too. I'm watching salt now so probably won't use much the next time I make chicken.

Mustard is okay but I don't feel the need to have it all the time (it is a good diet food, though, as it's low in calories and is nonfat). A tablespoon of dijon is about 5 calories. Again, though, you need to watch the salt.

I think sauces aren't just American heritage, they also come from French cooking so anyone following Julia Child or The Joy of Cooking probably picked up on making sauces. Emeril Lagasse is also a saucehound.
littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 05:42 pm
@jespah,
Oy - do you remember thousand islands? i think that was the rich dressing pre-ranch.

I don't eat ranch. I rarely eat ketchup. i do like mustard. I eat sauces, not condiments - tomato sauce, pesto sauce...... mmmmm mmm mmm.
jespah

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 05:44 pm
@littlek,
Oh God yes re the Thousand Island. And its cousins, Russian and Green Goddess.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:58 pm
@dlowan,
Ketchup and catsup are the same thing -- tomatoes, sugat, salt. pureed and jarred.

Whatever it is in Ranch dressing that makes it Ranch, I don't like it. Never did.

And the dressing with Buffalo Wings is supposed to be Blue Cheese, not Ranch!

Yes, I think most Americans use bought dressings. In my own fridge right now are Italian, a balsamic vinaigrette, and mayonnaise, Also Miracle Whip, which is a mayo-like stuff billed as a "sandwich spread"...
0 Replies