How Will You Change Your Spending Habits.?

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:38 pm
It seems that we must change our spending ways both cash and credit. Help try to figure out a sensible spending plan for us, upper, middle, and lower income classes. All of us spend somewhere within the upper and lower limits of income.

TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:40 pm
@TilleyWink,
I haven't changed a thing and don't see a need to.
TilleyWink

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@TTH,
Lucy you TTH.
TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:45 pm
@TilleyWink,
I don't spend that much money to begin with and have always been a "saver". So, that is why I am not changing my spending habits. If I can't afford something, I don't buy it.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:46 pm
@TilleyWink,
Been seeing this coming for a while and have already changed quite a bit. Shop every two weeks for groceries. Don't go anywhere unless I plan and do several outings at once and try to make it all in the same area. I was already cutting the boys hair and ironing my husbands shirts. We are picking and choosing where we give the money at school. We use to give every time they had a fund raiser. We are having to be a little choosier now.

I will get to start work soon as well. Will be substituting at the boys school. It just makes good sense.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:47 pm
@TilleyWink,
TilleyWink wrote:

It seems that we must change our spending ways both cash and credit. Help try to figure out a sensible spending plan for us, upper, middle, and lower income classes. All of us spend somewhere within the upper and lower limits of income.

Wrong. Some spend below their income, and many spend above. This becomes a problem.

I don't expect my spending to change, though it is quite low to begin with.
TilleyWink

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:50 pm
@TilleyWink,
I just bought a car using some savings and credit. I may want to back out I am checking my rate of interest right now. My spending will not change much either as I am already livign on a fixed income. The worst I can expect is to not get a COLA and maybe cancel my car buying.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:53 pm
I've always been frugal and it makes life a lot less stressful.
My best advice:
Spend less than you earn. No matter what your expenses are you can find areas to save money.
Learn to tell your wants from your needs.
Even a small amount of money saved adds up to a big amount over time.
Never pay an interest rate for something that doesn't earn you money.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:55 pm
@TilleyWink,
I've already changed my spending habits; I usually have several trips planned about six to eight months ahead of time, but have zero booked as of today. However, I have trips in October, November, and December.
TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have trips planned in Nov., Feb. and May myself. Still need a place to stay for a week in May (I didn't book it, my other 1/2 did).
Green Witch

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@TilleyWink,
Tilly, could you buy a reliable car with just your savings? Cars are an investment if they get you to work so you can make money. They are not an investment if they just allow you to go to the store more easily than taking the bus. You might be able to make due with a cheaper car.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@TTH,
I usually like to separate my trips by months, but that wasn't possible with the three trips now booked. October is a "holloween" cruise to the Sea of Cortez with the same group I've traveled with several times, November is to Bhutan and India with only seven other people - a private group of friends, and December is a 26-day cruise from Papeete to Ft Lauderdale that makes port stops at several islands including Easter Island, and ports in South America.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
November is to Bhutan

By chance is this a trip by Elderhostel to see the new king crowned?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:07 pm
@Green Witch,
No, it's a private group that have traveled together before on other trips. We will be seeing a great deal of the celebrations on the king's coronation throughout our trip, so I'll be taking a lot of pictures to post with my travelogue when I return home. Look for it.

Our group will be traveling throughout the country; some thing most tour groups do not do on their tour to Bhutan. The fellow who developed our itinerary lives in Alaska, but has traveled to Bhutan often. He claims our local guide is the best in Bhutan. He met with us in San Francisco a few weeks ago to answer questions and provide more info on our trip. He says he may meet us in Bhutan. He's on a trek in India and Tibet now.
TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
For me it is Pomona to see the finals (NHRA), then Maui (yuk, didn't want to go and still don't) and then Mexico.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Enjoy. I have a family member doing the Elderhostel package.
TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I've always been frugal and it makes life a lot less stressful.
My best advice:
Spend less than you earn. No matter what your expenses are you can find areas to save money.
Learn to tell your wants from your needs.
Even a small amount of money saved adds up to a big amount over time.
Never pay an interest rate for something that doesn't earn you money.

Now this is good advice imo
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:12 pm
@Green Witch,
I did Road Scholar (Elder Hostel) to Central Asia last May. It was an excellent trip, but their cost is also somewhat more than I like to spend on my trips (total ended up about $10K).
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:14 pm
@TTH,
Quote:
For me it is Pomona to see the finals (NHRA), then Maui (yuk, didn't want to go and still don't) and then Mexico.

I get to go to Mobile, AL every once in a while - WOOHOO! Try to have a little fun on that trip a little for me would you TTH? Laughing Hate to see you waste all that sun and sand!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@TTH,
Hey, no yuk on Maui; my father was born there, and we have enjoyed every visit there.
0 Replies