What is your definition of a real friend?

jodie34

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 08:16 pm
I have a friend that has been there for me when I needed her no matter what the problem was she was just a phone call away . She was someone that I could count on if I just need a shoulder to cry or during sickness she would take me for appointments and she also would say how about I just get you out of the house when I had my foot surgery and couldn't drive. To me this is a wonderful friend.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 09:34 pm
@jodie34,
I define a real friend
as being someone who likes u, enjoys your company and is willing to help u (within reason)

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:50 am
@jodie34,
The best friend I ever had in my life treated me like his brother; he shared a great deal of himself and his wealth in a way that was more caring and generous than my blood siblings.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
There's that joke going around that friends bail you out of jail. Your best friend is in the cell with you saying, "Damn that was fun!"

I won't go that far, but a real friend is somebody who enjoys and seeks out your company, allows you to support him or her as needed. He or she admires your strengths and accomplishments and potential and is there to encourage you and spur you on. He or she also knows all your weaknesses and failures and warts and ugly sides and, without pretending they are okay, accepts and loves you anyway.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
@Foxfyre,
A true friend loves me and my dogs and will take loving care of my dogs after my death.

BBB
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
Friend is a person that I think of when something wonderful or terrible happens to me and i feel the urge to share it with someone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
@Foxfyre,
Yup, warts and all!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:09 am
@jodie34,
Jodie, I have a friend just like that, and damn it was good to get out of the house. To think of something that important, without being asked. . . .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:34 pm
@jodie34,
My best friend did the same thing. Got me out of the house after my foot surgery. That says it all for me.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
a real friend will tell you what you need to hear...not what you want to hear.... but without condescension or attitude... and even while telling you you're an asshole remain your friend...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:56 pm
When I moved from California to Albuquerque NM in 2002, I knew no one. I met a couple and we became good friends. Then they decided to move to North Carolina. Shortly after they arrived, the husband was diagnosed with dementia. We kept in touch by telephone and e-mails, often every day. On bad days, we talked several times. Now they are planning to move back to Albuquerque.

My friend, Gretchen, sent me her feelings in a wood framed picture as follows:
"A friend gathers your scattered pieces and gives them back to you in the right order. Thank you (BumbleBeeBoogie) for being that friend."

To have a good friend, you must be a good friend.

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:48 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Not long ago, someone told me
that love defines a family better than blood.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
To have a good friend, you must be a good friend.

That 's a good point.

David
0 Replies

Shaunnas Dad

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:12 pm
When a real friend asks "How are you?", he really wants to know the answer.
Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:21 pm
@Shaunnas Dad,
unconditional love, understanding, non-judgemental, and trust with your best interests at heart, willing to tell you their honest opinion knowing that whatever the outcome that person is still holding your hand and is right beside you through thick and thin...........good times and bad

the same way you feel about that person...
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
friend: someone who will always be there for me, be engaged, who tells me what they think and feel rather that what I want to hear and puts up with me doing the same, someone with whom I enjoy spending time with.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:29 pm
@Shaunnas Dad,
Yes.
So stipulated.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:33 pm
@Izzie,
Yes; EXCEPT the trust part.
That 's too dangerous; u shoud not risk more than u r willing to lose.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

friend: someone who will always be there for me,
be engaged, who tells me what they think and feel rather that what I want to hear
and puts up with me doing the same, someone with whom I enjoy spending time with.

THAT 's asking A LOT, Hawkeye.

By THAT reasoning, we 'd never have any friends.
He might have somewhere to go, once in a while.

David
Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
With a true friend.... with those personal definitions - risk all, risk nothing. No risk.

I have no fear with my "true" friend - therefore there will be no loss. My belief only. And of course - my best friends. She's my soulmate. I don't fear losing her in this lifetime.

1. Forums
  2. » What is your definition of a real friend?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 02:40:45