McCartney's Ex-Wife Donating 1M in Vegan Food for Poor

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 03:45 am
Quote:
Paul McCartney's ex-wife is donating $1 million worth of soy hamburgers, soy hot dogs and soy chicken cutlets to one of the poorest neighborhoods in the Bronx.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-09-20_D93AC5H00&show_article=1&cat=breaking

How does this strike you? According to Heather Mills, a vegan animal rights campaigner, she wants the poor people to get the same nutritional advantages as more affluent people.

Personally, I am of two minds. I think that it is admirable that she is willing to donate all this money so that people can have good food. I suppose that you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Problem is, as I see it, she is superimposing her dietary tastes (and philosophy) on people who have probably never eaten the stuff that she is donating. I would suspect that the food will not be grabbed up so readily by people who have been raised on a typical American diet.

What do YOU think?

saab

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:04 am
@Phoenix32890,
I certainly don´t like soy hamburgers and co. Why not donate fresh vegetables and fruit instead?
How healthy is really vegan food?
sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:07 am
@saab,
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. It seems to be more about proselytizing than about nutrition.

There may be preservation issues with fresh fruits and vegetables, I don't know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:28 am
@Phoenix32890,
Anyone who donates food to a food bank is reflecting their own dietary tastes and philosophy. <shrug>

Good on her for making the donation. She's donating good nutritious food.

Anyone else donating $1,000,000 worth of food?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 07:37 am
as usual, it is all about Heather Mills, about what SHE wants. People who are hungry are understress, what they need is food to sustain them and what they want is food that is comforting. The best food to feed a hungry man is food that is good for him and food that he is familiar with and likes.

Is Mills making a gift? I don't think so, she is pushing a political agenda and using the poor and hungry to to do it.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 08:40 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Is Mills making a gift? I don't think so, she is pushing a political agenda and using the poor and hungry to to do it.

I agree with that.
Though.. I also agree with the question and idea behind " Who ELSE is donating 1,000,000 in food?"

but, to me.. a donation from the heart, something that is really about GIVING and not politics, would be one that was done silently. Not with the press at your feet so that they could take down your every word. Not a donation that was made next to a PETA sign ya know?

And , only because I can not I will nit pick what she can ..
But , 1,000, 000 in veggies is fine, but frankly 1,000,000 in just average everyday food including real protein ( which your body NEEDS) will feed SO MANY MORE.
People are have nothing, and rely on others are not looking for soft roasted truffles at 7.00 a lb. A package of eggs + a bunch of spinach and tomatoes can be purchased for 7.00 and can feed 2 or 3 people.

but.. again.. Im only nit picking something I can not match.

It does rub me wrong to hear someone preach about abstaining from a necessary food all in the name of a new fad.

Eh.. to each his own.
At least her money will feed more people then I ever could, and I sure as hell dont know anyone else doing this. So Kudos.. where they are deserved i guess..
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 09:23 am
@shewolfnm,
the value of the aid is not $1 million, because this $1 million will not buy the impact that any other $1 million in food aid does. She is spending $1 million for something on the order of $500,000 worth of aid. Her lack of caring about the value of the alleged gift to the one who recieves it proves that it is not a gift. If she cared about the people who need the assistance she would maximize the effect of her effort to help them, instead she would rather make a political statement on what she considers the proper diet for other people.

This reminds me of Somolia during the ninties, when the American governement decided that they wanted to "help" the hungry people by dropping some plane loads of MRE's (meals ready to eat) that were near the expiration date, called it so and so many dollars of aid to the country. Problem was the the Muslums can not eat certain foods, and the MRE's often contained the said stuff. What was intended to be an effort to get the people to feel better about America instead pissed them off, as we displayed a lack of senitivity to who they (the receiver of the aid) were.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 09:34 am
@Phoenix32890,
She probably needs a tax write-off otherwise she wouldn't have spent that kind
of money. In the divorce proceedings, when the judge asked her about her
generous charity contributions she couldn't produce any evidence to what she
claimed.

I am sorry, Heather Mills is a despicable human being in my book.

I also agree, that the poorest from the poorest don't need vegan food. They
lack proper nutrition as in protein (beef is too expensive) fresh produce
and fruits.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 09:41 am
@CalamityJane,
excellent point, a political statement that costs her nothing, and it keeps money out of the taxpayers's hands....a master stoke. Is she working on becoming the next Leona Helmsley???
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:19 am
Well, according to today's New York Post (they reported first about this),
Quote:
Mills will provide up to three years worth of “meatless meats,” including soy hamburgers, soy hot dogs and soy chicken cutlets. The only thing missing from the delivery is a massive Tofurkey.

Source: NY Post, 20.09.08, page 17

Children in Hunts Point have some of the highest obesity and asthma rates in the city - that might help. At least she thinks, it's good for her publicity.
(She shows up today at Riverside Park in Hunts Point to help cook a vegan barbecue lunch for some 1,000 low-income families. She also will get an award from Congressman Jose Serrano and Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion.[Source as above])
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
According to a survvey by the NY Daily News "Most Bronx residents were happy to accept her gift, even if they didn't know who she was."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Soy ain't exactly a skinny food.

But, whatever, it's food that they wouldn't otherwise get.
saab

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 11:16 am
@patiodog,
What children need is a good healthy breakfast (porrage) and a lunch including milk and one sort of fruit and not soy hamburgers. Home made soup is healthy and not very expensive to make. They have to learn to cook other kind of foods than hamburgers, sausages soy or not.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 11:18 am
She believes in good nutrition and wants the poor folk to have, as she has,

ready?

A leg up
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
thats so fake
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
a humorous attachment to his thread
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:18 pm
Mills pretty much admitts that this is a politcal effort, is not a gift to the the poor, for the cause is clearly Veganism, not hunger:
Quote:
Mills tells Britain's Daily Mail newspaper, "How would you feel if you had been through what I have? But no, how can I regret something which gave us our beautiful daughter Beatrice.
"I went through six miscarriages and two ectopic pregnancies before I had her. I was told I could never have children and now I have her and she's just fantastic. I adore her. So no, I could never regret something which gave me Beatrice.
"But I'm ready to move on in my life now. I'm not a negative person. I want to move on positively. I need to look at the bigger picture, which means helping those causes close to my heart."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/mills%20i%20dont%20regret%20mccartney%20marriage_1081128
patiodog

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hell-bent on breeding. See, now that's something that annoys me.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog, if she wouldn't have had a child with McCartney, her settlement
definitely had looked differently. She was desperate for money, and considering
that they were married barely 4 years then she hardly gave her body enough
time to recuperate from all the miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies.
She was on a mission!!

Did I already mention that I find her to be despicable?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 02:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm going to go kill a deer and a few geese in her honor. Happy fall!
0 Replies