survey for people in the UK.

kev

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 09:57 am
Butrflynet, This is a comment on anyone, no matter who they are, no matter what colour, creed or whatever they are, including the Saxe Cobergs that live in Buck house now known as the Windsors of Berkshire.

Nice bit of thinking on there part was that, whilst my grandfather and tens of thousands of the PALS regiments were being killed on the somme, they decided that perhaps the British soldiers of the day might find it a bit more palatable fighting for king and country if the the "royal family" weren't Germans.

I'm all for people who are fleeing religious persecution, or political persecution, taking sanctuary on our shores, but what we have is a situation where people come here in their thousands, bypassing the rest of europe on their way, because the rest of europe aren't as dumb as we are.

It doesnt take much thinking about, why should British people have to work until they are 70, because we can't afford to pay them a pension for 55 years of working life, so that people from all over the world can get benefits that they have contributed nothing to, that are denied to the people who paid for it.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:42 am
Letty wrote:
OK, Kev. Then my fog horn song is still viable, right? Fog does still float from the Thames like "cat feet" does it not? Harmless fog, the fountainhead of all ghost stories..... :wink:

It has now regained it's status as harmless fog that floats like "cat feet" I can picture Basil Rathbone now, the best Sherlock Holmes ever...........
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 11:52 am
Butrflynet ===== going on the high volume of cars on the roads, the vast amount of new buildings & roads beng built & the hi volume of shoppers/spending, inc. in the Asda/Wal-Mart I went to today, I would say the UK economy is doing very well for itself. The UK £1.00 is worth about US $1.60 & the Euro is, according to what I read, suffering from a heavy cold & needs an injection of TLC.

As Kev says, unfortunately we have a large number of freeloaders arriving here who think they can have everything they want. If they put into the system something worthwhile then they are welcome, if not then they simply ruin things for others.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 11:53 am
Butrflynet ===== going on the high volume of cars on the roads, the vast amount of new buildings & roads beng built & the hi volume of shoppers/spending, inc. in the Asda/Wal-Mart I went to today, I would say the UK economy is doing very well for itself. The UK £1.00 is worth about US $1.60 & the Euro is, according to what I read, suffering from a heavy cold & needs an injection of TLC.

As Kev says, unfortunately we have a large number of freeloaders arriving here who think they can have everything they want. If they put into the system something worthwhile then they are welcome, if not then they simply ruin things for others.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
oldandknew wrote:
The UK £1.00 is worth about US $1.60 & the Euro is, according to what I read, suffering from a heavy cold & needs an injection of TLC.

olk

I wonder, what papers you read Laughing
Quote:

Posted on Fri, Sep. 19, 2003

Dollar Down, Gold Up in Europe
Associated Press
LONDON - The U.S. dollar fell against other major currencies in European trading Friday. Gold fell.

The euro was quoted at $1.1363 in late European trading, up from $1.1263 Thursday. Later, in midday trading in New York, the euro traded at $1.1354.

Other dollar rates in Europe, compared to late Thursday, included 113.65 Japanese yen, down from 115.19; 1.3675 Swiss francs, down from 1.3848; and 1.3465 Canadian dollars, down from 1.3647.

The British pound was quoted at $1.6344, up from $1.6153.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 12:24 pm
Hi Wlter --- the £ has been at or around a $1.60 for some time now.

After the Swedes voted against the Euro it was suggested that the pan-euro currency was not as popular as some would like. That it had been an excuse for price rises beyond the normal.

The Euro was/is worth about 70 pence in the UK I believe. It's like musical chairs Walter, you gotta be in the right place when the music stops

I'll let you know what I think of it after my upcoming visit to France.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
vinaythakur, Have you gone to France, too?

Hmmm. Reckon he/she will return to defend the position?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 09:27 pm
oldandknew wrote:

Please send instructions on obtaining UK freeloader status. Perhaps, then I could afford to spend some time there. Certainly, as a tourist, they get you coming and going! Mad (and every other way Confused
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:28 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:43 am
Letty wrote:
Well, OAK, I must admit there have been some beautiful songs written about London:

A Foggy Day in London town

<SNIP>

Can't believe that David Bowie did that, too.

I've got a version that George Benson recorded in 1966?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:48 am
I've lived in Britain for all of my 27 years, and can't imagine moving anywhere else. If I was to leave, it would be to New Zealand probably. I think Australia is a fine place too, but I wouldn't like the heat and the poisonous wee beasties. I'm too lazy to learn a foreign language like a local, so that does narrow my options a bit.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 03:49 am
Grand Duke, I'm not surprised at all because George Benson did everything in every genre--fantastic performer.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:06 am
Letty wrote:
Grand Duke, I'm not surprised at all because George Benson did everything in every genre--fantastic performer.

His 70s/80s soul stuff is not really my taste, but I like the early jazz and his recent material, which is more of a return to the jazz. The song was on a fantastic album "Uptown!", which comes with the tag-line "The Most Exciting Jazz Guitarist On The Scene Today", which I think is cool.

As for Vinay's survey, I'd rate Britain as all of the smileys, and an overall 8/10- which is all you could ask for in a country.
0 Replies

vinaythakur

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:40 am
Hi all.. specially letty.. i neva been to any country in europe..but surely i will soon..next yr..

Nice to c u all replying to the topic i've chosen..

NO HEART FEELINGS!!
Lets be down to earth..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:23 am
Well, Vinay. Gautam is a fellow countryman that now is a UK denizen. Smile

Welcome back.
0 Replies