FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:46 am
@McGentrix,
Hah! Well, I had no idea what it was until I saw my sister cooking it. Thank goodness for google, eh? Seriously, though, it is an easy dish. Even I can make it -- believe me, that's saying something.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:51 am
@ossobuco,
I made coffee in wok once.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:04 am
@McGentrix,
Do you know how much working space you'll have? prep time? do you have to bring your own cooking equipment as well as ingredients? is it a work night?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
We rent a cabin in the Adirondacks with some other couples. Friday is pizza night (I will be making a new deep dish pizza I have been working on) and saturday is asian night (It's been Mexican and German the last 2 years). It's got an ok sized kitchen, but I do plan on prepping everything befroe going as it can get crowded. Basically, I want to just have to cook it. I am not positive if a wok will be available or not, but I am sure a skillet will be.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:20 pm
@McGentrix,
Here's an idea - put together some spring rolls before you go and fry 'em up, then just heat them in the oven. Would that count?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:47 pm
@McGentrix,
ah geez. I lost track of this thread. I meant to come back, but the new A2K seems to have finally overwhelmed me.

I hope things worked/work out well.

Please let us know how your cooking panned (ha!) out. What a great time of the year to be in a cabin in the Adirondacks. I am quite envious!
McGentrix

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 02:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Not til Oct 3
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 02:46 pm
@McGentrix,
ooh ooh ooh
so I can still make some suggestions?

let me re-read. I've got a couple of additional questions.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Has the group decided on an overall menu or is everyone just preparing any Asian dish they feel like? will it be a specific type of Asian meal prep or could sushi be on the menu alongside spring rolls, hot and sour soup, vermicelli? are the carbs/veggies/proteins well represented?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:32 am
@ehBeth,
I have decided on Lo Mein.

Seems easy enough to make.

This is the recipe i am using. Alternatives or additions are appreciated.

Lo Mein (Prep/Cook Time is approximately 20 minutes)
Serves 3-5 (depending on what you call a serving size)Ingredients & Equipment
1 Wok
1 Large saucepan
1 Colander
1 sharp knife to prep ingredients
2 boxes of wheat spaghetti or fettuccine noodles
3 tablespoons of peanut oil
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of fresh ginger (sliced)
1 tablespoon of ginger powder
2 carrots, sliced diagonally in ΒΌ-inch pieces
2 golden delicious apples sliced into bite-sized cubes
4-5 stalks of bok choy " slice the stalks into bite-sized pieces and separate from the leaves, cut up the leaves, too.
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of caraway seeds
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 teaspoons of pepper
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional)Directions: Heat water in a large saucepan until boiling. Boil noodles for five minutes and drain in a colander. While the noodles are boiling heat the peanut oil in the wok on medium or medium high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and ginger powder and allow it to cook in the oil for a minute. Add the carrots, bok choy stalks, and apples with the pepper and salt; make sure they get well coated in the oil, cooking for a minute or two. Turn down the heat to medium or medium low and add portions of the noodles a bit at time. Each time you add the noodles, add a bit of soy sauce, caraway seed, and sesame oil. Keep doing this until you have all the noodles in the wok and mixed well so all the ingredients are mixed well and the noodles shine from the coating of sesame oil. Turn the heat down to low add the sliced bok choy leaves and the brown sugar, and mix well. Remove from the heat and serve in bowls with a bottle of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce if someone eating this concoction wants some heat.

I plan to add snow peas to the mix as I like them. Not sure about the apples. Oh! and I am going to try to get lo mein noodles instead of spaghetti if such a thing exists.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:52 am
@McGentrix,
Cool. I love lo mein. Let us know how it turns out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@McGentrix,
Hmm protein? Or is someone else providing that? Sliced chicken or tofu would be easy, or shrimp if you're feeling a tad more ambitious (e. g. you'd have to peel them, plus you don't want them to overcook).
McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:16 pm
@jespah,
Ok, we had a fantastic meal. Close to 3 hours of food as we only had one stove so we did in courses.

We had some green soybean wontons
vegetable eggrolls
My lo mein (I added chicken, snow peas and water chestnuts... It was delicious! Oh yeah, I also stopped by an asian market and got some rice vermicelli. I think it really made a difference over spaghetti))
peanut shrimp and rice
wine explosion soup
some kind of spicy beef and vegetables (sezuan (sp?)
slow cooked bbq pork

Over all it was delicious, but I couldn't have eaten another bite. Everything was very good.
jespah

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:31 pm
@McGentrix,
Awesome, I'm so glad it worked out! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:35 pm
@McGentrix,
That sounds absolutely great.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:42 pm
@McGentrix,
Glad it worked out, and you inspire me.

I made egg rolls a while back, froze them and ate one or two for breakfast off and on. I'd baked them, not as delicious as the usual fried kind - I'll have to reconsider frying with not much oil, or steaming next time - but still good. Point is that among other things I put mung bean threads in them (cellophane noodles) and that really worked out. So now I'm eyeing that package of rice vermicelli in my cupboard....

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:43 pm
@McGentrix,
Wine explosion soup? Uh oh...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:45 pm
@McGentrix,
"Close to 3 hours of food as we only had one stove so we did in courses"... I think sometimes that can be more fun than the sweat bullets and serve and eat like crazy and then wash dishes routine.

0 Replies