Here's An Idea

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:14 pm
I've expressed it before.....

let everyone mark in the memo of their check to the Treasury department how their tax money is to be spent..... then we will see what Americans really want and get it...healthcare..defense...infrastructure....education..... whatever...let us indicate how to spend our tax money.... that's the only time Americans really reveal their true selves.....when they speak through their wallets.....IMO.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

let everyone mark in the memo of their check to the Treasury department how their tax money is to be spent..... then we will see what Americans really want and get it...healthcare..defense...infrastructure....education..... whatever...let us indicate how to spend our tax money.... that's the only time Americans really reveal their true selves.....when they speak through their wallets.....IMO.

Can't go along with it quite like that, Bear, because government does have some absolutely critical functions that most Americans probably wouldn't think of and would be deprived of necessary funds.

How about in return for our taxes submitted, we receive a detailed computer printout of where our personal taxes were spent?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
you ARE a glutton for punishment aren't you? Talk about adding insult to injury Laughing
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:56 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
No, I think it would be a real revelation to receive a print out advising me that my annual tax contribution had been allocated to help pay for a study to determine whether pigeons follow the same economic principles as humans. I kid you not that some years ago our Federal government allocated mega thousands for some study on that very topic.

Wouldn't you be proud?

Or maybe you would be happy to know that you had paid for a small part of a Congressional junket, including his wife, kids, and nanny, to Hawaii for inspection of the water where some sea minnow is supposed to be showing lower populations this year and may need to go on the endangered species list.

Or perhaps you would like to buy a couch and a couple of original paintings for a freshman senator's office when he spends mega books to replace the former occupant's still good stuff with all brand new stuff at taxpayer expense.

Your taxes might be enough to pay part of the salary of a watchman who guards the outgoing senator's stuff that is moved to a giant warehouse and stored in perpetuity never to be used by anybody again.

Or your taxes might be enough to pay for a state dinner complete with imported orchids, fine wine and entertainment for the ambassador to Timbuctoo or some such place.

I mean this is serious stuff that any taxpayer would feel really great about kicking in for don't you think?

Wow, I can't WAIT to pay my taxes this year.

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Sounds good to me! Add the caveat that the individual can't benefit from anything they don't earmark tax monies to along with it. No money for DoD? You can't work for any company that sells to the DoD. No money for education? You can't send your kid to a public school or get a student loan... No money for healthcare? You'd better be able to pay for 100% of your care yourself...
0 Replies