Not rich? Attend religious services regularly to get wealthy

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:50 am
A new national study shows that religious affiliation plays a powerful role in how much wealth Americans accumulate, with Jews amassing the most wealth and conservative Protestants the least.

Quote:
The religious beliefs children learn in their families translate into educational attainment, adult occupations, financial literacy, social connections and other factors that influence adult wealth ownership

Complete article from the Ohio State University, Columbus:
RELIGION HELPS SHAPE WEALTH OF AMERICANS, STUDY FINDS
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,637 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:49 pm
Walter, Taken from the article which was dated from 1998; " She used data on 4,950 participants collected from 1985 through 1998.

Overall, the median net worth of Jewish people in the survey was $150,890, more than three times the median for the entire sample ($48,200). The median net worth for conservative Protestants (which included Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh-Day Adventists, Christian Scientists, among others) was $26,200, or about half the overall average. The median net worth of mainstream Protestants (including Episcopalians, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Unitarians and others) and Catholics were similar to each other and about the average for the whole sample."

I think many things changed since 1998, but more importantly, the tech bubble burst about a year after that time. Just wondering how close those numbers reflect current "median net worth" of church-going Americans.

As a atheist, our net worth is more than the top average shown by this study - then and now. Wink
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:06 pm
I suspect this study is either too simplistic or flawed. Taking the Jews for example, it could also be argued that they have a higher per capita "IQ" and this is a major factor contributing to wealth. The point is that all correlations are made in the light of some guiding hypotheses or biased agenda. The correlation of IQ and "race" is shunned for "political correctness" reasons etc.
...and what of the biblical proverb "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to pass through the gates of Heaven".... Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:24 pm
Studies of this sort are, as a rule, pretty meaningless. I imagine that one could gather statistics showing that people who drive blue cars, for example, make more money than those who drive red cars. Or vice versa. Why should religious affiliation make any difference unless the pollsters are, in fact, trying to prove a point and have a hidden agenda. It has long been the practice in certain quarters to point at the 'money-grubbing Jews' as though a person's religious affiliation had a direct link to that person's fiscal status.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
I'm glad, Andrew, that you didn't mention silver cars :wink:

But seriously, I think, you are completely correct with your judgment.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:32 pm
At one time, there was a statistical study (humorous) that porported to prove that people under the age of 25 in Miami, Florida were highly likely to be of Cuban ancestry, but by the time they had died of old age, they had become Jewish. The numbers were right, of course, but the conclusion was at variance with the facts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:50 pm
roger, I would be interested in seeing more of those kinds of studies. They are interesting and funny at the same time. Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:03 pm
Roger, Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
In summer. you can find such regularily in European (German) papers, starting with something like:
"Scientist from an American university found out that ..."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:14 pm
Okay, Walter, quit picking on us yanks. Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 05:25 pm
just a little light refreshment : some years ago we attended a jewish wedding; lot's of fun, eating , drinking, merry-making. when i was taking some snapshots and muttered the platitude "say cheese", the ladies replied "SAY MONEY" - and it really worked; never seen such happy faces. i should add that we have also been invited to bar mitzvah's and other family gatherings and have always received a wonderful welcome. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 05:34 pm
hbg, I think my brother is a Jew. He told us to say "money" many years ago when we were having family pictures taken. Wink
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 06:06 pm
Any idea which religions make people the most fulfilled, happy, and whole?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 06:53 pm
c.i. : MAZELTOV ! one of my favourite meals is a hearty german-style soup with chinese dumplings and matzo-balls : please give your considered opinion how i fit into the universe. when we went to a local chinese grocery to buy chinese dumplings and explained that they were to become part of a german meal, the chinese storekeeper-lady was quite intrigued and wanted to know the details. she approved of our mixing of different ethnic foods. SOF : last time i checked it was "inner peace" that gave happiness regardless of religion. what's your opinion, c.i. ? hbg
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:12 pm
That's like saying if I wear black shoes I will become rich, because of a survey taken reporting the wealthiest people wear black shoes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:12 pm
hbg, My religion is treat all humans with respect and dignity. I think I understand the difference between good and bad, and don't need any religious teachings to make me think there is any life after death for believing in any gods. What we get is what we see, and how we live our life is what ultimately counts. Learn to laugh frequently for good health. Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 07:32 am
c.i. : i'm ready to worship with you anytime ! hbg here is a german saying : LACHEN IST GESUND ! TO LAUGH IS HEALTHY !
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 07:42 am
This reminds me..forgive me, do....of the story of the time when Marilyn Monroe started seeing Arthur Miller, and the famous jewish playwright took his new squeeze home to meet momma, where during the evening she was served a traditional meal, including of course matzo balls.

Marilyn: "These are delicious, Mrs Miller. Tell me, what do you do with the rest of the matzo?"
0 Replies