David Blaine - Mad Yank enthralls Brits...

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:02 am
I'm surprised that there doen't seem to be a topic here yet for ridicule of David Blaine, the unhinged magician/stunt-man/freak currently wasting his time here in the UK.

For those who haven't heard of of his current stunt, he is currently sitting in a glass box suspended above the Thames in central London, where he intends to stay for 44 days sustaining himself only with water. People are queueing on the river-bank to pelt him with eggs and hurl abuse but he's still there after about a week or so, mainly as he's rumoured to be getting £1million from TV stations here for the live footage and post-stunt interview.

Is it just me asking this, but WHY?

His previous tricks included 3 days encased in a block of ice in Trafalgar Square, and 30-odd hours squatting on a 80ft pole, also in London.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:50 am
Well, i do hope y'all keep him occupied for as long as possible. From the sound of things, we're not gonna miss the guy.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:52 am
Whatever he hopes to achieve by this stunt, I was very saddened by the hooligan behaviour of throwing eggs and stuff at him.

Forget the general population, I believe that a national tabloid actually tempted him by flying a remote control helicopter close to his box with a burger attached to it. Shocked
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:14 am
The British tabloids love/hate this guy - hell, they love/hate anyone with 'freak-value'. It is a shame when certain of our countrymen feel they have to express themselves with egg-throwing (although not in the case of certain politicians as targets!) The egg-chuckers are probably readers of said sad tabloids. It was on the news last night that a guy was arrested trying to climb the scaffolding to cut his water-line!?!

I actually admire his resolve in attempting to earn a living doing freaky things, but the lads from Jackass do freaky stuff and they make me laugh. He's just weird... Have you watched Bo! Selecta, G? The David Blaine character on there is one of the funniest - Shazam!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:17 am
Set - He was first famous here doing 'street-magic' card-tricks and small illusions etc on the streets of NYC, I believe. He's probably like those other Americans not famous in their own country but big here - The Fun Lovin' Criminals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:21 am
Yeah, i know who he is. He failed to make the splash here he had hoped for. Try to keep him occupied for as long as you can, and i promise not to send back all the annoying English ex-pats who haunt our shores, trying to make a business of celebrity.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:33 am
Setanta wrote:
i promise not to send back all the annoying English ex-pats who haunt our shores, trying to make a business of celebrity.

Who's that, then? I can't really think of many but there was an 'actor' by the name of Sean McGuire who was big here in kid's drama, moved to soaps, had a few songs in the UK charts then disappeared to the States. I saw some shows (at 4am!) from a sit-com he did over there, can't remember the name but he lived in an appartment with that guy from American Pie who shags Stickler's mum and they had some crazy friends etc etc. You get the picture. The full series was never shown here, and rightly so. There must be a small market for English actors over there, mainly playing villians in movies!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:42 am
Well, Anthony Hopkins is someone for whom i'm personally grateful--marvelous actor. We do get a few of the Pierce Brosnan types--not bad, but mostly pretty boys. We get a lot of the type of the sycophantic **** who did Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. But i almost never watch tv any longer, so i've not got names to give you.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:43 am
Grand Duke, £1000,000 for 44 days of discomfort and then retire for life.

What we have to decide here is, who is insane, Mr. Blaine, or the morons that make this nonsense possible.

I'm going with the morons, I think Mr Blaine, boring b******d though he may be, is definately smarter than the British public.

P.S. I am prepared to beat his record by two days for a one time introductory offer of just £500,000.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:24 am
The fact that he's doing this 'massive' stunt and no-one overseas has heard about it tells the whole story.

He was claiming that his 'inspiration & goal' was the IRA hunger-strikers or some other bollocks. Bobby Sands went about 55 days I think, and another one (can't remember name) went about 70 before he fell unconcious and was drip-fed.

Which makes his 44 days look a bit feeble, especially when he's earning £1million and they were fighting a political battle (not that I support the IRA, obviously).
0 Replies