Roleplaying/Wargames

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:56 am
I was wondering if anyone here plays, or has played, fantasy roleplaying or wargames of the Games Workshop/Dungeons & Dragons type or even the historic Napoleonic/Civil War etc genre.

I've just ressurected a load of stuff from my parents' house from when I was a teenager and spent hours last night looking through it all - don't you just love nostalgia!

(Not strictly word-games, but I didn't know where else to put this topic.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,537 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:17 am
Ah, I played D & D in the late '70's, early '80's (which I bet doesn't surprise anyone in the least). I was often a cowardly dwarf (run away!).
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:25 am
They dwarves always used to have the biggest choppers....!

Sorry, I'm a sucker for smutty jokes.

It's always been something I've been interested in but, without trying to sound like a snob, alot of the people who play these games take them far too seriously. Geeks. I've got a few friends coming round tomorrow to play a game called Advanced Heroquest. Similar to D & D but based on a board with miniatures. We'll play for a few hours, drink some beers & have a laugh. Passes the time & cheaper than going to the pub!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:33 am
That's how we used to play - generally between beers. One guy who was into it kept the map (mighty useful, actually) but everyone else just messed around. We had fun, didn't take it too seriously.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:40 am
I currently play RPG's on the PC--Interplay has a series of games designed by Black Isle Studios. They use a game system known as the Infinity Engine. The core rules, supplied by Wizards of the Coast, are Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition. The newer games use 3rd Edition rules. I also play some strategic games, such as Age of Empires.

In 1959, i got a copy of the board game Gettysburg by Avalon Hill and i was hooked. Up until a few years ago, i still played, although it is hard to find a good opponent when you're all grown up. For PC, the Sid Meier games are good--Antietam, Gettysburg, and i believe there are some Napoleonic era games, too, although i don't have them. Thanks to the idiot Bill Gates, i can't play them on my pc at home, because XP won't allow the game to open a DOS window. At my sweetheart's house, though, i can, because her PC has Windows 98.

I did not get into D & D when it was popular because of the geek factor. Dungeon masters were often pimple-faced kids with clunky glasses, a pocket protector in their shirt and seven or eight pens in the pocket--and a lust to control others as they never could in real life. That's why i so greatly appreciate the pc games.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:16 am
Shameless bump for my own topic, as we've had a lot of new members in the last 18 months...
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:43 pm
Played a whole bunch of 'em when I was a kid. Started with D&D at about ten. Moved onto World of Darkness when Vampire first came out. That series is still my favourite although there is one called Kult that is very good too. Started with the Games Workshop stuff at about 14. Played 'em all, 40K, epic, fantasy, Space Hulk, Necromunda, Blood Bowl.

The best games I've played though were freeforms. Fell in love with the format, wrote and ran a few myself. Won a bunch of best player awards at conventions. Kinda started drifting away from it by about 21. Haven't played anything in the last 4-5 years but I still have friends that do regularly and I still get the urge everynow and again.

Damn, now I feel like rustlin' up some friends. I've still got about half a dozen stories written and ready to go.

What's your favourite GD?

Oh, and I was usually the storyteller (I hate the term "dungeon master") and I don't wear glasses, have never owned a pocket protector and have never really had any urge to control people. I did have acne though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm
Used to play with some friends. I like the name storyteller....

Got into PC games, (Temple of Apshai on Atari 400/800!) then the Black Isle games mentioned above.

Nowadays, I play more mainstream strategy games; lots more people interested in such.

I love finding and learning the Spiel des Yares every year.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:35 am
Sorry for being AWOL from my own topic. It wasn't rudeness, merely forgetfulness...

Adrian wrote:
Started with the Games Workshop stuff at about 14. Played 'em all, 40K, epic, fantasy, Space Hulk, Necromunda, Blood Bowl.

I've been exclusively a Fantasy wargamer for a while. Like you, I started with GW at 14, playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay at school. Moved from there into WH Fantasy Battle, Space Hulk, Advanced Heroquest, Mighty Empires & Bloodbowl etc until girls & beer started taking all my spare time and cash at 17. My stuff sat in my parents' loft until a couple of years ago, when I decided I was mature enough to not care that some of my friends thought it was sad and geeky to play with toy soldiers!

Quote:
The best games I've played though were freeforms. Fell in love with the format, wrote and ran a few myself. Won a bunch of best player awards at conventions. Kinda started drifting away from it by about 21. Haven't played anything in the last 4-5 years but I still have friends that do regularly and I still get the urge everynow and again.

Damn, now I feel like rustlin' up some friends. I've still got about half a dozen stories written and ready to go.

I'll have to admit my ignorance of freeforms. The concept of writing a scenario/mission/adventure for an existing game system I can understand, but do you create your own combat/magic systems, or have I missed the point of freeform? I'm a slave to the dice...

Quote:
Oh, and I was usually the storyteller (I hate the term "dungeon master") and I don't wear glasses, have never owned a pocket protector and have never really had any urge to control people. I did have acne though.

I have never refered to myself as "a general, commanding an army" either, as that definitely gives the impression of megalomania!

I'm just a guy, playing a game...
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:14 pm
Freeforms are pretty open. Different people run them in different ways. I have seen all sorts of sytems for resolving combat and the like. None of them have been very good. I tended to write stories that didn't involve any of that stuff, then if anybody did end up wanting to fight I would determine the result based on what I thought was best for the story. Probably the best sytem I've seen used scissors paper rock for combat but it only really worked if the characters were fairly equal in ability.

Do you paint your own miniatures GD? I tried to for a while but I just haven't got the patience or a steady enough hand. I ended up making most of my armies using little squares of cardboard. It's a lot bloody cheaper and it means you can pick whatever forces you want.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:25 am
Adrian wrote:
Freeforms are pretty open. Different people run them in different ways. I have seen all sorts of sytems for resolving combat and the like. None of them have been very good. I tended to write stories that didn't involve any of that stuff, then if anybody did end up wanting to fight I would determine the result based on what I thought was best for the story. Probably the best sytem I've seen used scissors paper rock for combat but it only really worked if the characters were fairly equal in ability.

Like I said, I'm a bit of a dice-freak, and I can't imagine a game without lots of dice rolling. I think the combat system in Warhammer is fairly straight forward - roll to hit, roll to wound, roll for armour save. The WHFRP system, with it's D100 and Critical Hits was quite complicated for a beginner, but like any roleplay or wargame, you get used to it eventually.

Quote:
Do you paint your own miniatures GD? I tried to for a while but I just haven't got the patience or a steady enough hand. I ended up making most of my armies using little squares of cardboard. It's a lot bloody cheaper and it means you can pick whatever forces you want.

I do paint my own miniatures, albeit very slowly. It's taken me over a year to paint about 20% of my Warhammer Tomb Kings skeleton army. I picked an undead army mainly because bone is pretty easy to paint. When I look at the elves or humans with all those cloaks and armour and hair, I just can't imagine the effort needed to make them look good. I've tried the cardboard army system before, but as I pLay all my games in my local GW store, I need to have proper models, and they're starting to lean on me to get them painted as well. I see the painting aspects of the hobby as "a necessary chore".
0 Replies