Divided by a common language.....or do Americans know how to give someone the hairy eyeball?

patiodog

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@hingehead,
Book I've been reading has examples of words in the British lexicon that are decried in many circles (including, at times, the laughable House of Lords) as horrible Americanisms -- which words frequently are demonstrated to have originated in England, kept alive in the US, and then re-appropriated by Brits through TV, movies, etc.

Course, no concrete examples in my memory. I only remember the broad strokes.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:30 pm
@patiodog,
Let us know if you recall.

So...you're a broad strokes doggie, then?
devriesj

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:29 pm
@Borat Sister,
Just readin' yer interestin' thread hear & thought I'd add my 2 Cents
Somebody mentioned the "stink eye" in reference to the "hairy eyeball". I hadn't heard the latter 'til I saw the thread.We say the former 'round here, & as a mom I'm a professional at givin' the ol' stink eye!
I've heard lots of weird colloquialisms, but I know a few distinct to where I live:
Apparently (western) Michigan is the only - if not, one of very few places who talk about how far away a place is in terms of time instead of miles, ie: Chicago is about 2 1/2 from here ...
When we mean about two or three of something we say "a couple three". I have no idea why! Weird, I know. Love the different things people say in different places. What else ya got?!
patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:09 am
I'm from California, bra. So, like, dude.
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:13 am
@patiodog,
"Bra"?
patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:57 am
@dlowan,
brother --> bro --> bra
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:22 am
@patiodog,
Yo truss....
patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:49 am
@dlowan,
WHAT?!?!

(There's also the cognate "brada," but I suspect this was more of a working-back-toward-brother kind of thing than an intermediary step between brother and bra.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:54 pm
@devriesj,
A couple three is enough for now! Especially at this time of the morning, before my first coffee.

This stink eye thing is big, isn't it?

I wonder if it evolved from the old, and very charged, "evil eye"?

devriesj

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:07 pm
@dlowan,
Crazy, i'n't it. Never thought how odd it was until ya go outside the area or someone visits and says WHA ...?
Yeah, I'm bettin' stink eye came from evil eye somehow.

Aussies have euphemisms for lots of stuff if I remember right. Met a guy in college & just loved his accent and his name: Magnus Ojert...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:08 pm
@patiodog,
You're like, so cool and stuff?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:09 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
This stink eye thing is big, isn't it?

Crikey!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:14 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You're like, so cool and stuff?

But he IS cool!
DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:34 pm
@dlowan,
That's what I said?
patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:49 pm
@DrewDad,
Nah, I'm a cheesehead now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
@DrewDad,
I always assume you are speaking ironically.
hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:37 pm
@dlowan,
I've been thinking about Americanisms that we now accept as our own (well particularly if you're too young to remember when they gained traction)

Some examples are butt, scumbag, pissed (for angry rather than drunk), cool, buddy, pal.

Do Americans have cobbers, diggers and mates?
patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
@hingehead,
No. But we have taken to "No worries."
Rockhead

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
@patiodog,
Agreed as to "no worries"

Rolling Eyes

(Damn cali fornians anyway...)
devriesj

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:35 pm
@hingehead,
mates as in friends, hinge-? And what are cobbers & diggers?
Y'know even within the states there are different words for different things. I'm from the mid-west & my eastern state friends & us mw's would differ between:
tennis shoes vs. sneakers, lollipops vs. suckers, soda vs. pop, etc. I'd be curious to know what we all call some of those common type objects. I think there's quite a few words I know just for frying pan! ... Not to mention all the fun, interesting & bizzare words for sex, spouses, friends, drinking and the like.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:14:44