Dehumidifier float detached - how to re-attach?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 04:07 pm
Somewhere between emptying the dehumidifier and taking the filter out to clean it and putting the bucket back in - the whole float arm came off.

I can find diagrams of the dehumidifier
http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/images/newstyledehumid.JPG

but no sensible descriptions of how to re-attach the float arm.

Quote:
If your dehumidifier has a float switch that is triggered by the filter housing moving up and down, make sure the housing is centered in its tracks and moves freely.
you need to be able to spot the tracks for this to be helpful Confused

Help : either with 'how-to' instructions or good keywords for me to use to find simple instructions.

Thanks!

Drunk

(some sites use the term bobber instead of float - but don't provide any additional help)

Intrepid

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Is it possible to post a picture of your dehumidifier and the float arm that came off? What brand is it?
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Somewhere between emptying the dehumidifier and taking the filter out to clean it and putting the bucket back in - the whole float arm came off.

did it BREAK OFF or did it just slip out ?
checked our 40 year old machine . the floatarm seems to be a piece of twisted metal that goes into a box containing the shutoff . i doubt that i could get at it easily - it looks and feels like an enclosed box - the arm just goes into a narrow slot and disappears .
if you inspect it : PULL THE PLUG FIRST ! (i did !)
hope your machine is more easily servicable .
hbg

ps. the actual float thingy - sitting in the bucket - is some plastic floating ball hanging from a stiff wire attached to the arm .
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:39 pm
@hamburgboy,
your best bet might be to go to the store where you bought the machine - i hope it was CANADIAN TIRE - smile .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
@Intrepid,
http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/images/newstyledehumid.JPG

http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/l_ad25bbl.jpg

It's the Simplicity 20 made by W.C. Woods for Canadian Tire.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:15 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

did it BREAK OFF or did it just slip out ?
checked our 40 year old machine . the floatarm seems to be a piece of twisted metal that goes into a box containing the shutoff . i doubt that i could get at it easily - it looks and feels like an enclosed box - the arm just goes into a narrow slot and disappears .
if you inspect it : PULL THE PLUG FIRST ! (i did !)
hope your machine is more easily servicable .
hbg

It's the float arm with the float that came out - it looks like it slipped out (yes the dehumidifier is unplugged Very Happy ) of the enclosed box.

I thought I could just slide it back in, but I can't quite figure out where to slide it.
dadpad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
can you get any further pics of the unit itself with the water chamber removed? the float and arm? couple of different angles might be usefull.

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It's the float arm with the float that came out - it looks like it slipped out (yes the dehumidifier is unplugged ) of the enclosed box.

I thought I could just slide it back in, but I can't quite figure out where to slide it.

i think that the problem is , that you can't tell in what postion the receiving mechanism INSIDE the box is - when the arm came off , it may even have slipped into a position that's out of reach .
sorry 'bout that - well , there is always CT - but the repair may be costlier than a new dehumidifier , unless than of the floor people can help you .
btw. what about WARRANTY ?
the arm shouldn't just "slip out" , unless it wasn't securely fastened inside the box in the first place .
even if you were able to slip it back in , it would likely not be secure and come off again soon .
good luck !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:37 pm
@dadpad,
I'll flip it over later and get some shots.
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:55 pm
@ehBeth,
i still don't see how it can just slip out and be slipped back in again . there must be a setscrew or something securing it inside the box .
i don't think superglue alone will hold it !
but if it is held by a screw AND you can get at it , add a dab of nailpolish or paint on the thread to make it hold better .
hbg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:03 pm
@hamburgboy,
there's no evidence of any screw in there

(you'll see when I get the pix done - and posted)
0 Replies

Rensky

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 04:27 pm
This exact thing just happened to me too..same model..I have no idea where to stick the darn thing back in either. .did you ever get it figured out?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 04:31 pm
@Rensky,
In the end I took it to the appliance guy down the street. He fixed it for about $10.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 04:53 pm
@ehBeth,
just saw this thread...

thx
0 Replies