ARE (some) ANIMALS TELEPATHIC ?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I believe there is an element of telepathy,
but that for the most part, the animals watch us all the time.

Well, for purposes of this discussion,
we were contemplating situations wherein the animal is asleep,
or half asleep, on the floor of another room
when his or her human gets the idea to feed him or her,
and the animal reacts immediately and abruptly.

Quote:
When I seriously want to catch her,
I simply block the exit before all else.

Sounds like u outsmarted her, Ed.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I disagree, the contents of this thread already having been some evidence, but that aside, for the moment: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

The contents of this thread do not constitute credible evidence of anything. All we have heard are stories. No verifiable, testable, repeatable, clinical evidence has been presented, even by way of a reference to any scientific study.

And absence of evidence IS evidence of absence, even though it's not proof of absence.

Have the people who did these experiments with their pets kept notes in a log for accuracy? Have they recorded negative reactions as well as positive reactions (number of times the pet did NOT react when the thought-command was given)? Have they recorded all non-associated reactions (times the pet reacted when NO thought-command was given)? Have they isolated the pet from all known external stimulus to keep the experiment clear of anomalies? How about the dog's sense of smell, even though it may be asleep it can certainly smell changes in the room. How do you know a person's decision to do something doesn't change their body chemistry slightly and the dog can smell it? How do you know the dog is really asleep, my dog sleeps lightly with her eyes every so slightly open and she is very aware of what is happening around her. What about double-blind conditions? What about multiple people in the room or in the house? What if you wink at your wife before you issue your thought-command and she smiles, or sighs just slightly, your experiment becomes crap in an instant.

It's very hard to produce a valid clinical experiment. But it's extremely valuable to do so, because without it stray information can ruin your conclusions.

Whether or not you or anyone else wants to believe in telepathy (be it dogs, mice or people) isn't important. What matters is that you don't have anything to show for your belief without the ability to reproduce it under clinical conditions. Without that, all you have are stories. Stories which are impossible to differentiate from someone who claims their dog flies around the room when they are not looking.

If you want to believe it go ahead. But if you want it to MEAN anything, you need to prove it. And the only way to do that is with clinical science.

Good luck.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Check out the story of the little African grey parrot Nkisi on Rupert Sheldrake's website at

http://www.sheldrake.org
http://www.sheldrake.org/Research/nkisi/
0 Replies