Science and Mathematics

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:01 pm
It's pretty dead in the science and mathematics tag. I wonder where everyone went?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 675 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@Vengoropatubus,
If you are not sorting by new posts on the tag pages (the preference for them is different than the home page, so you'd need to set it there as well) you might not see the new posts. But another factor is that the old "science and math" is being used more specifically now, and most of the new threads are posted with just "science" or even other tags. Browse around the related tags for more but what I'm trying to say is that the "science and math" was a forum name made my administrators, now with user tags that combination is not likely to be used as much as other more specific tags (namely separating science and math).
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:18 pm
It didn't used to be like this at the "old" a2k, but I'm afraid many have lost some of the most interesting science threads that were pretty active. I'm not even sure we can revive the old ones here.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's not true ci, people have been reviving a lot of the old threads these days as they show up higher on different grids. I've never seen so many old threads coming back up.

It's almost the reverse problem than what you describe with a bunch of old threads coming back, and there's certainly no problem reviving them.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Here's an example of what I meant in that post. One of the most popular threads today is one that would have usually gone in the old "science and math" forum but is not tagged that at all:

http://able2know.org/topic/121356-1

So browse around by tag a bit, and you'll find more science threads, even if they aren't in that old tag.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I thought I made it clear that I realized I hadn't been sorting by new posts earlier, but that I have in fact figured out that I can do this Smile
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:34 pm
@Vengoropatubus,
Yeah, I'm just saying that on the tag pages, the preference you set on the home page isn't the same, so you may also need to set them there. But honestly, I think the biggest issue is that now that people can either use "science" or "math" (or a lot of other stuff) not that many people will use "science and math".
0 Replies