The definitive explanation about tags

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:49 pm
@Craven de Kere,
What worked best for me is to tag the entire headline resp. keywords of the thread I wanted to tag. It's more specific for my own reference.

I'm just afraid that I isolate myself from the good juicy stuff while only tagging
the topics I like. I have to be more adventurous! Cool
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
a text box will appear.
to edit it properly, you first have to delete the existing tags.
what i do is hit the Home key on the keyboard, 'paint' from left to right, and delete.
now you can add new tags.

Umm - do this only if you want all your existing tags for the topic to disappear, of course!

If you click edit, you will see all of your current tags for that topic. I.e.: the name of the forum it was originally posted in (that tag was added automatically, except for if it was in the "General" forum) + any tags you added yourself.

If you added one or more wrong tags and you only want to delete those, just delete only those tags and leave the rest, and then click the "Tag topic" button again. If you want to just add tags, leave all the tags that are already there, go to the end of them, and type in the extra ones you want, separated by commas. (Max number of tags is ten, I think.)
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:21 pm
Thanks Craven and to Reg-. I've now done some 'untagging' and correct re-tagging. This thread is a big help. Thanks again. Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 01:45 am
@Craven de Kere,
Craven,What might constitute an invalid tag, if that is not too broad a question?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:20 am
I tagged a thread with the following tags. (Cut and pasted exactly as I entered)
battery, microphone, performing art, V27PX, s27px, voltage, mercury

I recieved the following message
There was a problem with your submission. Please correct the errors below.
ask_tag_error

which means absolutly nothing to me.
I removed tags individually 1 at a time. s27px, voltage, mercury were removed befor the tags were accepted. I then edited tags and was able to add s27px but not mercury or voltage.

Is there a limit on the number of tags?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:53 pm
@dadpad,
This won't really answer your question, dadpad - last I read it was ten for 'my topic tags' and five for the 'popular tags' - but that may be a change since you posted, when I think it was only 5. I know it rejects punctuation except for commas between words, but you didn't do that. I sometimes have to fool around a bit, both to get it to dump some irrelevant word already in the tag topics, or to get it to put the best of mine in the 'first five' of my own list -- as only five go into the main tag box, mine and other people's. Sometimes I have to do some insistent rearranging as in 'try this another time'.. and it works re my own, and sometimes for the popular tags.

Sometimes people used words in their tags that don't apply, or apply very much. Thinking of one about russia that starts with able2know in the tag box. I can't get rid of that no matter what I put in my tags about russia, oil, blah blah blah, though now it's at the end of the popular tag string.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:12 am
Bumping this in the hope it might be helpull to new folk.

Please note there may have been some changes since tags were first implimented. ie there used to be a tag search which is not readily apparent to me anymore.

If you want to read more threads about tags click on one of the tags under the topic title at the top of the page

The definitive explanation about tags
Forums: Tags, Tagging, able2know, Folksonomy, Tips
............^.......^^^
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:17 am
@dadpad,

tag search can be found here --

http://able2know.org/popular/
http://able2know.org/unanswered/
0 Replies