Sometimes the Bad Guys Win

cjhsa

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:16 am
Thieves hack U.S. tourist to death with machetes

http://www.suntimes.com/news/world/1100927,CST-NWS-tourist11.article

August 11, 2008

GUATEMALA CITY -- Robbers armed with machetes hacked a U.S. tourist to death and seriously wounded his wife in an attack aboard the couple's sailboat in northeastern Guatemala, the woman said Sunday.

Nancy Dryden, 67, said her husband, Daniel Perry Dryden, 66, was killed by four men who boarded their boat late Saturday while it was anchored in Lake Izabal.

''They poked us and stabbed us with the machetes, and they were asking for money, specifically dollars,'' said Dryden.

The thieves were apparently unhappy with the take. ''We had a few quetzales [Guatemala's currency], but we had no dollars with us on the boat,'' Dryden recounted.

The Drydens, who are retired and live near Anchorage, Alaska, had bought the boat in February. They were equipping the vessel in preparation for a voyage into the Caribbean.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

McTag

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:22 am
Bummer.

Senegalese pirates are a big problem too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:31 am
Apparently not only did they not have US$, they didn't have any firearms either.
0 Replies

McTag

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:35 am
Aha. Desperate situation sometimes require desperate measures.

But pirates, approaching a yacht, might well expect to be fired on and would probably be similarly armed too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:49 am
McTag wrote:
Aha. Desperate situation sometimes require desperate measures.

But pirates, approaching a yacht, might well expect to be fired on and would probably be similarly armed too.

So? Look at the result. At least make an attempt - don't be a groveling sheep. Self preservation is a self evident truth.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:10 am
today i was tellin my dad im getting a 9 mil after i get a job, he says WTF?!?!?!

why arent you getting a .45?

you jackass!

if im taking a trip south of the equator thats a must, but for target practice not so much...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:18 am
cjhsa wrote:
So? Look at the result. At least make an attempt - don't be a groveling sheep. Self preservation is a self evident truth.

Please. Do you load up and go walking in bad neighborhoods, or do you just avoid bad neighborhoods?

And are you ranting against gun laws (which were not mentioned in the article) or just advocating that everyone be armed at all times?
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 08:27 am
you always must keep several extra clips of ammo if youre not the greatest shot. Sometimes volume trumps accuracy. We keep an older Ithica pump 12 guage and I take a Sig on the boat, (even going into Canadian waters). To be unarmed on the high seas is lunacy, even in civilized places like Canada. Ive been boarded by the RCCG several times, once they found a pistol and took it and left me with a fine and with a receipt. I eventually got it back after paying the fine. The hell of it , was that the Canadians really understood the need for protection while boating .
0 Replies