HOW MANY WIFES IS TOO MANY WIFES ?

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:53 pm
even though he looks like a happy man ... he advises against following his example !

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44901000/jpg/_44901080_wives_baba_226.jpg

Quote:
Nigerian advises against 86 wives

By Andrew Walker
BBC News, Bida, Nigeria

Nigerian Mohammed Bello Abubakar, 84, has advised other men not to follow his example and marry 86 women.

The former teacher and Muslim preacher, who lives in Niger State with his wives and at least 170 children, says he is able to cope only with the help of God.

"A man with 10 wives would collapse and die Shocked :wink: , but my own power is given by Allah. That is why I have been able to control 86 of them," he told the BBC.

He says his wives have sought him out because of his reputation as a healer.

"I don't go looking for them, they come to me. I will consider the fact that God has asked me to do it and I will just marry them."

But such claims have alienated the Islamic authorities in Nigeria, who have branded his family a cult.

Most Muslim scholars agree that a man is allowed to have four wives, as long as he can treat them equally.

But Mr Bello Abubakar says there is no punishment stated in the Koran for having more than four wives.

"To my understanding the Koran does not place a limit and it is up to what your own power, your own endowment and ability allows," he says.

"God did not say what the punishment should be for a man who has more than four wives, but he was specific about the punishment for fornication and adultery."

'Order from God'

As Mr Bello Abubakar emerged from his compound to speak to the BBC, his wives and children broke out into a praise song.

Most of his wives are less than a quarter of his age - and many are younger than some of his own children.

The wives the BBC spoke to say they met Mr Bello Abubakar when they went to him to seek help for various illnesses, which they say he cured.

"As soon as I met him the headache was gone," says Sharifat Bello Abubakar, who was 25 at the time and Mr Bello Abubakar 74.

"God told me it was time to be his wife. Praise be to God I am his wife now."

Ganiat Mohammed Bello has been married to the man everyone calls "Baba" for 20 years.

When she was in secondary school her mother took her for a consultation with Mr Bello Abubakar and he proposed afterwards.

"I said I couldn't marry an older man, but he said it was directly an order from God," she says.

She married another man but they divorced and she returned to Mr Bello Abubakar.

"I am now the happiest woman on earth. When you marry a man with 86 wives you know he knows how to look after them," she said.

No work

Mr Bello Abubakar and his wives do not work and he has no visible means of supporting such a large family.

He refuses to say how he makes enough money to pay for the huge cost of feeding and clothing so many people.

Every mealtime they cook three 12kg bags of rice which all adds up to $915 (£457) every day.

(there is some faulty math here , i belive . hbg)

"It's all from God," he says.

Other residents of Bida, the village where he lives in the northern Nigerian state, say they do not know how he supports the family.

According to one of his wives, Mr Bello Abubakar sometimes asks his children to go and beg for 200 naira ($1.69, £0.87), which if they all did so would bring in about $290 (£149).

Most of his wives live in a squalid, unfinished house in Bida; others live in his house in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital.

He refuses to allow any of his family or other devotees to take medicine and says he does not believe that malaria exists.

"As you sit here if you have any illness I can see it and just remove it," he says.

But not everyone can be cured and one of his wives, Hafsat Bello Mohammed, says two of her children have died.

"They were sick and we told God and God said their time has come."

She says that most of the wives see Mr Bello Abubakar as next in line from the Prophet Muhammad.

Indeed, he claims the Prophet Muhammad speaks to him personally and gives detailed descriptions of his experiences.

It is a serious claim for a Muslim to make.

"This is heresy, he is a heretic," says Ustaz Abubakar Siddique, an imam of Abuja's Central Mosque.

source :
WARNING
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,060 • Replies: 12
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:45 pm
what a retard. you get one wife you have children with.

then you get as many girlfriends as you please.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
hamburger wrote:
even though he looks like a happy man...

I dunno, H, he looks tired, rather than happy. :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:22 pm
reyn wrote :

Quote:
I dunno, H, he looks tired, rather than happy.

don't you notice his sly grin ?
if i look as good and tired at 84 as he does ... ... Shocked :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:46 pm
Lord have mercy...170 children. That gives me a nervous tic just thinking about it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:02 pm
mismi wrote :

Quote:
Lord have mercy...170 children. That gives me a nervous tic just thinking about it.

one of his wife's said :

Quote:
"God told me it was time to be his wife. Praise be to God I am his wife now."

it seems that god did have mercy upon her !
as long as she is happy - good for her !
hbg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 03:05 pm
I wonder how many of those children are hers? If all 86 had kids...they would only have one or two a piece on the average right? And you always have a babysitter nearby if you want to go get your hair and nails done. As you say Hamburger...as long as she is happy. :wink:

Praise be Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 08:34 pm
mismi wrote:
And you always have a babysitter nearby if you want to go get your hair and nails done.

Praise be Very Happy

somehow I dont think this would be a priority.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:38 am
dadpad wrote :

Quote:
Quote:
mismi wrote:
And you always have a babysitter nearby if you want to go get your hair and nails done.

Praise be

somehow I dont think this would be a priority.

looking at the pictures , they all are surprisingly well-dressed , i'd say ! all the women seem to take care of themselves - they have little choice :wink: - they are always up against 85 others !
hbg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44901000/jpg/_44901096_wives_wife2_226.jpg
mismi

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
@hamburger,
Better believe I would have that hair and nail appt Wink
hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
@mismi,
mismi :

are you also up against 85 others ? WOW !
hbg (all smiles)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:27 pm
That's the thing; being up against 85 others. Or maybe royal wives are happy because they have all the protection and perks of marriage with few of the usually associated duties? But if he's good in the sack. . . .that could be disappointing to those who enjoy some of the associated duties. . .

The Bible says that King Solomon had 700 official wives and 300 concubines (or as the kindergarten set describes it: 300 porkupines.) Now all those ladies might have been necessary to satisfy HIS needs, but you can be sure he wasn't satisfying all of THEIRs.

I suppose Mr. Abubaker doesn't bother having DNA tests run on his kids though.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 04:08 am
A man should have as many wives as can afford to support him in the manner he wants.
0 Replies