This song reminds me of this song and why

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 06:07 pm
The Bounty Hunter - Al Caiola

Is definitely riffing of Duane Eddy's 'Rebel Rouser' right?

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 09:11 am
@hingehead,
Right! Canola pilfered Eddy’s tune
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 06:02 pm
Somehow I doubt Steve Kilbey would ever admit to having ripped off a 1977 Dragon guitar riff for a Church song in 1982 - but you be the judge.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 06:06 pm
Bill Bruford Upper Extremities playing right now and this spins:

I checked and it doesn't give a writing credit to Page/Plant/Bonham which is strangely fitting considering how often Led Zep were caught out not giving credit.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 06:23 am
Channel surfing and hit the Graham Norton Show and Jake Bugg doing ‘All I Need’

And it screams Skyhooks’ “Ego is not a dirty word” especially the bridge.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2021 08:44 pm
Japan's 'Burning Bridges'

Sounds like a mash up of side 2 of Bowie's 'Low' - mostly 'Art Decade' with a bit of 'Warszawa' and 'Subterraneans' thrown in.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 09:43 pm
@hingehead,
Interesting. Had not noticed it before.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 09:36 pm
I was just listening to every version of 'Great Balls Of Fire' I have (7) and for the first time noticed that the opening piano trill sounds like the start of the Addams family theme.

So I go hunting for both tracks to post here and was deeply disappointed ( Wink ) to find I'm not the only person who noticed:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 06:56 pm
Listening to They Might Be Giants 'No!' albut and a Vic Mizzy written track comes on "In the middle, In the middle, In the middle". The original of which was a PSA for the NYS Dept of Safety:

About ten seconds in, after the 'in the middle refrain' it turns into the Muppet Show theme.

Tell me I'm wrong:

Sam Pottle gets the writing credit for it - unconscious plagiarism?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 07:53 pm
Escondite Ingles - Shakira just came up on random and I was convinced it was going to be a bad cover of The B-52's Rock Lobster. Pretty sure it just the Farfisa and angular new wave guitar.

A quick web hunt tells me I'm not the first to notice this.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 07:16 pm
Beats me where I picked up Bappi Lahiri's 'Everybody Dance With Me' from, but it pretty blatantly steals (and speeds up) the riff from Iron Butterfly's 'Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida'

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2022 02:39 pm
Listening to the album "Dangerous Dreams" by The Nails (I bought the 12" of 88 Lines About 44 Women" back in the 80s but never noticed they had album(s).
The song 'Save Me' came on (too obscure for youtube but you'd probably find it on your streaming service of choice).

I thought it was going to be a cover of Department S 'Is Vic There' but the chorus never came.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 12:59 am
Listening to G. Wayne Thomas' soundtrack for the surf movie 'Crystal Voyager' for the first time. It was unexpectely OK (I've never listened to any of his stuff)

There's a track 'Junkyard' (I & II) that felt like it had several riff/feels from Bob Seger's Turn The Page (and/or the Jon English cover) - can anyone else hear it?

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 10:09 pm
Carl Perkins 'Lend Me Your Comb' came up on random and I thought 'did the Everly Brothers steal this from Perkins?' But it turns out they came out the same year and Perkins was trying to ride on the coattails of 'Wake Up Little Susie' 1957 success.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2023 07:41 pm
Just listening to this Voide track (featuring Pixieguts) for the first time.
There's recurring motiff that comes in just after the one minute mark (I'm guessing it's two minims up to a diminished fifth then back to the minor third of the original root note/chord)

And I thought it was a sample of Trentemoeller's 'Moan' (one of the saddest videos I know) where the motiff is introduced right at the start:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2023 09:36 pm
Yungblud's 'Tissues' just came up for a first listen.

Very obviously lifting from The Cure's 'Close To Me'. Lots of other people agree
The lifter

The liftee

It reminds that forever ago I thought George Michael's 'Faith' also ripped off the same song.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 04:30 pm
@glitterbag,
I learnt sometime last year that Seals & Crofts were in The Champs.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 May, 2023 09:37 pm
I was just listening to this compilation: Psychedelic Jazz (The Best Mindblowing Spaced-Out Jazz Grooves) and thought - this sounds like the Futurama opening credits. No surprise that Google found me this on wikipedia:
Quote:
Composer Christopher Tyng was heavily inspired by Henry's Psyché Rock when writing the theme to the popular animated cartoon show Futurama.

The original

The derivation

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2023 02:25 am
Pleasantly Blue - 4 Non Blondes
Lifts the riff from Bowie's Jean Genie and uses it under verses (painfully obvious after choruses)

Jean Genie (in case you don't know what I'm talking about
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2023 07:48 pm
Listening to the Tomorrows World album by Geoff Bastow (ex-pat pom who moved to Munich in 1976 and was part of the disco scene that birthed Giorgio Moroder). A lot of it reminds of other things (one track sounded like an Alan Parsons outtake.

This one (Tomorrows Pleasures) sounds decidedly like Ultravox's 'All Stood Still'

Probably Bastow ripping of Ultravox as his album was released in 1982, a year after Vienna.
0 Replies